Just a little stat comparison between Gabbert and Lee

True. Watching his games, it's just laughable to think that he's being touted - from what he's done on the field to date - as a future NFL star. Several throws he made against Nevada would have been picked off by a competent defense.

We just need to be that competent defense.

I predict that not only will he go to the NFL, he'll go in the first round, if not the first pick.

Mizzou fans have become everything that they used to hate about Nebraska fans.

Everything that douchebag AJ slammed us for on his blog is being exemplified by Tiger fans on this board. Blind hero worship: check. Idiotic optimism: check. Bold statements with no basis in reality, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary: check. This is priceless.

There were a couple throws against Nevada he made where I just stared at disbelief on how ugly they were. He ran down to the sideline, and just lobbed up a pass across his body to the other side of the field 40 yards down, and his receiver caught it.

Guess what? Those aren't going to fly when you play Big 12 defenses. Hope he's been taking notes.

He's a very smart kid who has started 4 games. Not all his decisions are perfect. But knowledgeable people say he can make throws that very few can. Give him 20 more starts, and there won't be any doubters.

What I noticed is that Gabbert has had to throw a lot more then Lee has to due to the running game. Washington is averaging a little under 80 yards a game. Meanwhile Helu is averaging 116 a game. Also the average ranks of the defense means Lee has done pretty much the same against slightly tougher defenses.

Mainly I was wondering why some people (media) were so in love with Gabbert.

I don't think I've seen any mainstream love for Gabbert (no feature articles in ESPN or anything like that), however, the midwest media outlets are seeing him for the gamer that he is. He's gone into the second half of three ball games either down or with less than a two score lead. How he's reacted to that pressure as a first year starter......is well.......let's just take a look at the numbers:

from cfbstats.com

Situation.......G...Att..Comp...Pct.....Yards....Int...TD..Rating....Long...1st...15+...25+

2nd Half/OT...4....43.....33....76.7.....547.......0.....6...229.64......74.....19....13.....9

I was just saying how some announcers and yes midwest media are touting over him.

There is a reason I added the defensive stats of the opponents. It is there to show that yes he has good number but he hasnt faced a defense better than 89th in the country. You are calling him a gamer against teams that he should have done even better against. Hell I think he is slightly under performing for getting this much love.

Gabbert has been solid so far and hasn't done anything to lose games. At this point, you can't do anything but praise him. It remains to be seen if Pelini can get the defense in a scheme to take advantage of Gabberts youth.

I don't expect to see him get sacked a bunch of times on Thursday to be honest. He'll take snaps 7 yards in the backfield and will be looking to dump the ball quickly. Hopefully, our front four can make him uncomfortable at a minimum and take him out of rhythm but don't look for a bunch of sacks. I'll be surprised in MU's coaches allow Nebraska the opportunity to get to him.

Gabbert has been solid so far and hasn't done anything to lose games. At this point, you can't do anything but praise him. It remains to be seen if Pelini can get the defense in a scheme to take advantage of Gabberts youth.

I don't expect to see him get sacked a bunch of times on Thursday to be honest. He'll take snaps 7 yards in the backfield and will be looking to dump the ball quickly. Hopefully, our front four can make him uncomfortable at a minimum and take him out of rhythm but don't look for a bunch of sacks. I'll be surprised in MU's coaches allow Nebraska the opportunity to get to him.

I agree. I don't think Nebraska will be able to get to him much because he's 7 yards back and Missou's offense has been mainly very short, quick passes so far this year. I'm hoping we can find a way to disrupt this short passing game and stop the run. If we do these two things, we will be in pretty good shape.

And when receivers are running down field and it takes a while for the play to develop, hopefully our d-line can apply some pressure.

True. Watching his games, it's just laughable to think that he's being touted - from what he's done on the field to date - as a future NFL star. Several throws he made against Nevada would have been picked off by a competent defense.

We just need to be that competent defense.

I predict that not only will he go to the NFL, he'll go in the first round, if not the first pick.

that could very well be true. Josh Freeman went in the 1st round at number 16 i think.

I think Blaine, if not already, will be a better QB than Josh was.

I have no ill feelings about Blaine dropping NU and going to MU. He was recruited by the former staff and when that staff got the axe, he bolted. If he came to NU i dont think Cody Green would have, and i think Cody is going to be a better fit in the system

I dont wish for anyone to get hurt, but i do want some good clean hits. Would be nice to see Will Compton on a blitz for a sack and have him whisper in his ear, "Regret your decision yet?"

I agree. I don't think Nebraska will be able to get to him much because he's 7 yards back and Missou's offense has been mainly very short, quick passes so far this year. I'm hoping we can find a way to disrupt this short passing game and stop the run. If we do these two things, we will be in pretty good shape.

And when receivers are running down field and it takes a while for the play to develop, hopefully our d-line can apply some pressure.

You would think so, but Nevada seemed to do quite a decent job putting pressure on Gabbert. Seemed like Gabbert got flushed out quite a bit, that is where he made several of those across his body throws downfield that knapplc pointed to just previously. Maybe getting him down in the pocket will be tougher because of the extra distance, but he seems to like to run out of the pocket at the hint of pressure. Keeping him contained or getting him down on the edges is key.

For all the bad press they've received, MU's oline has done a solid job protecting Gabbert. Occassionally, he gets happy feet and likes to run... That's just what he prefers. The kids a great athlete. Now, teh run game, our big boys have a few strides to make. But they're no slouches. We have some talented guys just learning how to play with one another.

I got bored earlier so I decided to see how Gabbert and Lee compare. Not a bad 1st post.

Missouri

Gabbert

87 131 66.7%

1161 yards

11 td 0 ints

Derrick Washington HB

301 yards

2 tds

Defensive ranks of opponents

105th Illinois

89th Bowling Green

98th Furman

107th Nevada

Average Rank 99.75th

Nebraska

Lee

68 105 64.8%

927 yards

7 td

3 ints

Roy Helu HB

464 yards

5 tds

Defensive rank of opponents

111th FAU

76th AK State

47th Vtech

82nd ULL

Average Rank 79th

I used cnnsi.com for the stats.

Anyones offense will look good when you average playing the 99th team in defense. Nebraska looked good on offense too while playing on average the 79th team on defense.

I think it showed when NU played a "good" D when it played VaTech. The O struggled.

Take the VaTech game out for NU and I guess the Ill. game for MU and no one has played any one.

But taking that into consideration...Neb Ranks 20th defensively. and Mizzou Ranks 56th in the country.

From what I'm looking at Neb has the edge def. while Mizzou hold the edge Off.

We all know D wins games.

Nu by a FG

For all the bad press they've received, MU's oline has done a solid job protecting Gabbert. Occassionally, he gets happy feet and likes to run... That's just what he prefers. The kids a great athlete. Now, teh run game, our big boys have a few strides to make. But they're no slouches. We have some talented guys just learning how to play with one another.

Sure they have protected Gabbert, but against what? Your opponents have a combined 12 sacks in 13 games. They don't sack anybody. Nebraska has played four games and has 10 sacks. Missouri's opponents have an average of 101st in the nation in Pass Efficiency Defense, meaning everyone is throwing well against them. Combined, Missouri's opponents have five interceptions on the season (13 games). Nebraska has three, including a pick-six, in four games.

Sure, no sacks & no INTs make nice stats, but the pass defenses Missouri has played haven't done well against anyone. Anyone at all.

Sure they have protected Gabbert, but against what? Your opponents have a combined 12 sacks in 13 games. They don't sack anybody. Nebraska has played four games and has 10 sacks. Missouri's opponents have an average of 101st in the nation in Pass Efficiency Defense, meaning everyone is throwing well against them. Combined, Missouri's opponents have five interceptions on the season (13 games). Nebraska has three, including a pick-six, in four games.

Sure, no sacks & no INTs make nice stats, but the pass defenses Missouri has played haven't done well against anyone. Anyone at all.

Well, that may be so. That doesn't nullify the fact that they've been able to protect Blaine pretty darn well, which is what I pointed out.

No doubt we haven't faced any top-25 teams, but Nevada is the only school in the country returning two DE's who finished with double-digit sack numbers last year. Illinois, while a perpetual mess, still has some talent on their defense, as well. Our big boys provided Blaine enough time to pick them both apart. That's what was avialble with most team stacking eight in the box trying to stop our run game.

I think NU will come out trying to get pressure with their front four. I also think MU will run quick routes to minimize pressure by your talented defensive line. Specifically, they'll target the middle of your field with your young linebackers and banged up safeties. Eventually, Bo's bro will dial up an occassional blitz. I'm hoping that's when Blaine hits one of our skilled receivers for the big play.

There were a couple throws against Nevada he made where I just stared at disbelief on how ugly they were. He ran down to the sideline, and just lobbed up a pass across his body to the other side of the field 40 yards down, and his receiver caught it.

Guess what? Those aren't going to fly when you play Big 12 defenses. Hope he's been taking notes.

He's a very smart kid who has started 4 games. Not all his decisions are perfect. But knowledgeable people say he can make throws that very few can. Give him 20 more starts, and there won't be any doubters.

He's what the NFL is after right now. For a little while, the NFL was after the Vince Young/Michael Vick dual threat QB's. They have soured upon that idea. The big names come out this year with Tebow, McCoy, Bradford, etc. If he continues to progress, it wouldn't surprise me to see him as the #1 overall pick in 2011. After that head scratcher pick taking Freeman early, Gabbert may not even have to do anything impressive the rest of his college career to be a top 10 pick.