Blaine Gabbert

cmb23

This thread is very weird. Sure Gabbert appears to have talent but basing off of his performance last night and saying he is going to be a stud is kind of silly. He showed nothing last night that would make me believe he will be a star. Let’s see he had the 2 passes that were picked off and then you throw on 5 more that should have been picked off (2 by Prince, 1 a piece by Suh, Turner, and Asante). Sure he played after getting hurt but so do a lot of people. Sure this was ONLY his 5th start but it was also Zac Lee’s 5th start and like has been mentioned his stats were better then Ole Blaine’s plus his team won the game.

If you ask me Blaine looked a lot like Freeman (like was mentioned earlier). Was Freeman a star?

I agree. Gabbert has the size and things just like Freeman that the NFL loves. However, he was pretty disappointing last night. 3.1 yards per attempt? This is horrible. I also noticed that he seemed to limp a lot more after an incompletion. Then, you have to wonder how much pain he was actually in considering they kept running QB draws and the option with him. He might be a great QB or become one, but I can't see anything from last night's performance that would indicate that he's already a great QB.

But Freeman had a horrible, horrible cast of players around him. And a really bad coach. All the talent in the world can't overcome obstacles like that.

Freeman has a lot of raw skill. He needs a lot of refinement after getting basically none in college. Put him with a decent QBs coach and a playmaker or two around him, and for goodness' sake, give the kid an O Line, and then let's see what he can do.

Gabbert is a lot like Freeman IMO, but he has better talent around him and a better coach (although Pinkel did some bonehead things again last night). Both are big, athletic, big-arm QBs with the ability to move. Gabbert was accurate last night considering the conditions. Gabbert was hindered by a nightmarish pass rush that never let him get comfortable, and by the fact that this was his fifth game.

Gabbert has potential. It remains to be seen if he develops that potential at Missouri, but I have a feeling he'll be pretty good. And remember - I went into this game a detractor. His arm strength and guttiness have gone a long way toward changing my opinion of him.

It actually looked to me like Brooks was doing the jawing baiting Gabbert to come after him.

Yes. I would imagine Mr. Brooks will be familiar with the stairs in the South Stadium by Tuesday. Very familiar.

I think to some extent we're saying the same thing that Gabbert may very well become a great QB just isn't there yet. However, you say that Gabbert was accurate last night considering the conditions. He threw two balls directly to Suh which Suh hung onto one. One ball hit Asante right in the numbers. Gomes gets one. It almost appeared to me that he was color blind out there. He should have had several INT's. Lee didn't throw any. He was way off, but he didn't throw any other than the one TD that was really all that close to being picked off. For a guy that's 6'5, one would assume he has some pretty big claws on him. Of the two QB's, he should have had the lesser of a problem hanging onto a wet ball. It's not just last night either. Against Nevada, there were some questionable throws and at least two balls that should have been INT's. He's young and very well has a bright NFL career ahead of him. However, at the moment he isn't even close to being one of the top QB's in the Big 12.

This thread is very weird. Sure Gabbert appears to have talent but basing off of his performance last night and saying he is going to be a stud is kind of silly. He showed nothing last night that would make me believe he will be a star. Let’s see he had the 2 passes that were picked off and then you throw on 5 more that should have been picked off (2 by Prince, 1 a piece by Suh, Turner, and Asante). Sure he played after getting hurt but so do a lot of people. Sure this was ONLY his 5th start but it was also Zac Lee’s 5th start and like has been mentioned his stats were better then Ole Blaine’s plus his team won the game.

If you ask me Blaine looked a lot like Freeman (like was mentioned earlier). Was Freeman a star?

I agree. Gabbert has the size and things just like Freeman that the NFL loves. However, he was pretty disappointing last night. 3.1 yards per attempt? This is horrible. I also noticed that he seemed to limp a lot more after an incompletion. Then, you have to wonder how much pain he was actually in considering they kept running QB draws and the option with him. He might be a great QB or become one, but I can't see anything from last night's performance that would indicate that he's already a great QB.

But Freeman had a horrible, horrible cast of players around him. And a really bad coach. All the talent in the world can't overcome obstacles like that.

Freeman has a lot of raw skill. He needs a lot of refinement after getting basically none in college. Put him with a decent QBs coach and a playmaker or two around him, and for goodness' sake, give the kid an O Line, and then let's see what he can do.

Gabbert is a lot like Freeman IMO, but he has better talent around him and a better coach (although Pinkel did some bonehead things again last night). Both are big, athletic, big-arm QBs with the ability to move. Gabbert was accurate last night considering the conditions. Gabbert was hindered by a nightmarish pass rush that never let him get comfortable, and by the fact that this was his fifth game.

Gabbert has potential. It remains to be seen if he develops that potential at Missouri, but I have a feeling he'll be pretty good. And remember - I went into this game a detractor. His arm strength and guttiness have gone a long way toward changing my opinion of him.

Freeman had a 1st round draft pick for a wide receiver to throw to. A Nebraska QB hasn't had that luxury since the early '80's. Which wide receivers on our roster would you not trade for Alexander? Face it, Gabbert was outplayed by a QB also making his 5th career start, but so many are quick to praise the opposing team's QB without doing the same for our own.

Not sure what game everyone was watching, but Gabbert did worse than Lee in just about every passing statistic: % completion, TDs, interceptions, and passing yards.

Why so much props for Gabbert and nothing for Lee?

Exactly! Yes, Blaine is talented, but is he that much better than Lee, as some of you are saying? Did you see the second TD to Paul. That required a perfect throw which Lee made. That was an amazing pass! How about the third TD where Lee was about to go down and hit McNeil -- that was a great play. Gabbert has the size, but as far as arm strength, accuracy and foot speed, is there that much difference?

He was a first round draft choice.

So were Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich, Dan McGwire, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Tommy Maddux, Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman, JP Losman, David Carr, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Jim Druckenmiller, Patrick Ramsey, and Jason Campbell. Just to name a few. <_<:moreinteresting

I suspect all of them were college stars.

Freeman had a 1st round draft pick for a wide receiver to throw to. A Nebraska QB hasn't had that luxury since the early '80's. Which wide receivers on our roster would you not trade for Alexander? Face it, Gabbert was outplayed by a QB also making his 5th career start, but so many are quick to praise the opposing team's QB without doing the same for our own.

Just so we're clear, I'm NOT trading Gabbert for Lee. I'm talking more about Gabbert's potential next year and the year after, not now. I've been leading the Lee Bandwagon for a while now. :)