Rank the BIG XII Coaches.

Actually, UNTIL NOW there was only one thread about "disliking" Mike Leach, this one http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37150

I never said I hated him, I said I dislike him. To be completely honest with you with his coaching and running up the score aside, I just think he's kind of an arrogant fool that reminds me of a used car salesman. Within the past few years there has been a media love fest with the man and his "witty humor" and I find him just plain annoying. Thats about the size of it.

The only mention I made of Mike Leach in this thread was when I rated him 12th in my poll because I dislike him.

Its often funny when people complain about running up the score. That is an excuse. It is not Texas Tech's problem our defense sucked. Texas Tech passes the ball; we couldn't defend the pass. The two together equal a blowout. A couple of weeks ago UL-LA got beat 55 - 0 no talk of running up the score then. During 2006 - 2007 we beat two team by over 45 points.

Before you start talking about "running up the score" take a look at some of our finals back in our dominate years.

So because Saint Osborne did it, does that make it alright?

The 84 points against Minnesota in 1983 was a fluke with the second third and 4th string in.. Still probably shouldn't have happened.

That 77-14 decision over Arizona State in 1995 sure did us a lot of good in 1996.

If you play your reserves you don't come out looking like a thug.

Texas Tech is constantly ringing up 70 and 80 point wins over overmatched teams. That can be and should be helped.

Seriously? Past success means nothing? I guess that's why TO hired him.

past success as a DC meant plenty to TO. obviously, that and the salary constraints applied.

but has little to do with ranking him as a head coach.

want to rank him among the existing b12 coaches or talk about why TO hired him?

I thought this thread was about ranking.

do a search and you'll find plenty of discussion on the hiring process, my own thoughts among them.

Plus this isn't just about wins and losses. A good coach has many qualities such as uniting a fractured fan base and hiring good staff. etc.

BTW- the rankings are opinons and...

opinions vary.

The rankings and opinions vary...

You said it. Sorry my opinion means nothing and yours means everything. Pffft. Go ahead and show me all the stats that prove that Bo Pelini has done nothing compared to all the other big12 coaches in year 2!!!!

Plus a good coach has many qualities besides wins and losses. Uniting a fractured fan base, hiring good staff, recruits....swift improvement!

my opinion has the same weight as yours.

now you want to discuss the second year record of each coach.

which is it?

the original subject, how they rank among current B12 coaches...

their past as an assistant ..

or their first season and a half as a head coach...

your target is moving, but not your logic.

argue with someone else.

and thanks for playing.

So because Saint Osborne did it, does that make it alright?

The 84 points against Minnesota in 1983 was a fluke with the second third and 4th string in.. Still probably shouldn't have happened.

That 77-14 decision over Arizona State in 1995 sure did us a lot of good in 1996.

If you play your reserves you don't come out looking like a thug.

Texas Tech is constantly ringing up 70 and 80 point wins over overmatched teams. That can be and should be helped.

Brown Bottle Flu contributed FAR more to the 1996 ASU loss than the whooping we put on them in 1995.

This whole bent you're on about running up the score is fine for participation trophy lovers, but in the real world of college football, especially in an era where style points mattered, you score when you can score and you don't look back.

I believe that, too. But there are circumstances, ESPECIALLY in the era you're talking about (pre-1998/1999) where teams were simply so much better than other teams that running up the score was almost impossible to prevent. Prior to the 98/99 season, the 85-scholarship limit hadn't taken full effect, and the talent difference between upper tier teams and lower tier teams was very marked. After the scholly limit went into effect and the recruiting classes filtered through, those kinds of blowouts became less frequent.

Aside from that, in the 90s we were a crazy-dominant running team. When other teams went to run out the clock they ran the ball up the middle. When we did that, even with our fourth string, we got six yards per carry. We weren't throwing the ball downfield on long bombs like Spurrier and Paterno were doing every other game late, we were running fullback traps. It's not our fault other teams couldn't stop that.

I believe that, too. But there are circumstances, ESPECIALLY in the era you're talking about (pre-1998/1999) where teams were simply so much better than other teams that running up the score was almost impossible to prevent. Prior to the 98/99 season, the 85-scholarship limit hadn't taken full effect, and the talent difference between upper tier teams and lower tier teams was very marked. After the scholly limit went into effect and the recruiting classes filtered through, those kinds of blowouts became less frequent.

Aside from that, in the 90s we were a crazy-dominant running team. When other teams went to run out the clock they ran the ball up the middle. When we did that, even with our fourth string, we got six yards per carry. We weren't throwing the ball downfield on long bombs like Spurrier and Paterno were doing every other game late, we were running fullback traps. It's not our fault other teams couldn't stop that.

So you are saying that TO should have thrown the ball to "run" the clock out? Might have been more effective to keep the points down.

Yeah, maybe. :)

Running up the score was the nature of the beast in that era. Voters were easily swayed by 40-point blowouts. We did it because we needed to in order to keep up with the Oklahomas and Florida States who were also doing it, and because nobody could stop us.

The other option is to take a knee on your plays, starting in the second quarter. Who wants that?

• 2 weeks later...

Taking into account coaching capability, coaching talent, teaching methods, strategy, content of charechter, attitude toward players, attitude players have for coach. Ranking the Big 12 coaches...

12. Mike Leach

11. Dan Hawkins

10. Gary Pinkel

9. Bill Snyder

8. Mike Sherman

7. Art Briles

6. Paul Rhodes

5. Mike Gundy

4. Mark Mangino

3. Bob Stoops

2. Mack Brown

1. BO PELINI Yes I'm biased. VERY VERY biased.

Why is Bill Snyder NOT # 1 ??? Are you kidding me ???