JUCO S Ashley Palmer

Confusing situation.

Palmer did infact qualify in time by NCAA standards, but not by Nebraska standards. Palmer needed a class (in which he took a test for, albeit late) and passed. However, Nebraska only has a 5 day grace period in which you can get your grades in order and enroll from the start of a new semester. The NCAA rule is 12 days. If you go by the NCAA, he was qualified.

Now I'm not sure whether that classifies him as a Nebraska student even though he isn't taking classes at UNL.

However, I say let him go. If he doesn't want to be at Nebraska, then good riddance.

this is probably for the best IMO, I was a bit worried about Palmer for a while anyway since he wasn't going to be able to come in until Fall. How far behind would he be! it seems like a lot of Jucos that come in that late end up disappearing. If the same thing happened to Palmer, he wouldn't have helped our safety needs much then anyway.

This way, if he gets to play with Washington before fall it is also likely best for him.

What is annoying, as i ranted on the Alex Cate thread, is that i assume the coaches held off recruiting some other players because of Palmer's commitment. Maybe they would have continued after another Juco safety or another HSer, like Davis perhaps?

that is also assuming that the coaches didn't at least expect Palmer's decommit, or already know about it before today. obviously just because the all-knowing recruiting sites don't announce anything doesn't mean the coaches didn't already know.

that is also assuming that the coaches didn't at least expect Palmer's decommit, or already know about it before today.

listening to the PC, that sounds like the wrong assumption. i was trying to give AP the benefit of the doubt but.... BC sounded a bit po'd about it when the subject came up.

Callahan " Ashley did sign a LOI and therefore anything after is null and void."

but he also added something to the effect that if the player doesn't enroll, the LOI is void and the player doesn't have to be "released from scholarship". Its not like they'd want to force the guy to come here if he doesn't want to be here, but BC added that this "battle" ain't over.

for those that haven't found their way to a broadcast of the PC:

http://www.ketv.com/bigredzone/6652012/detail.html