Does BO need to get more involved with the offense?

TheKiD

I think offensively their problem right now isn't Watson, but moreso the fact they lack a true gamebreaker/playmaker. Other than Helu, who really strikes fear into opposing defenses from NU's offense? Nobody. Teams are stacking the box and forcing Lee to beat them and he's struggling as a result. Some of it is his ineffectiveness and some of it is lack of playmakers.

This may be true but do you really think that Nebraska will ever be able to recruit the type of playmakers that USC and Florida and Texas have? I for one do not think so. We will be able to recruit nice, good players at the wide receiver position and we might be able to snag a top notch QB and RB every now and then. What we can do is recruit big bad linemen who will open up massive holes for our nice RB's who can then run HARD. You dont have to recruit a playmaker at RB to get him to run HARD. This is what Nebraska has always done and needs to continue to do.

I agree. Yeah, NU will most likely never be able to stockpile NFL talent at the skill positions, however, if they keep winning and getting more and more national exposure for it I think they can reel in a few big ones. And when you add just a couple big time playmakers with what NU has coming in for lineman(plus along with the other things you alluded to) things will really improve offensively IMO.

I tend to think what he does is OK. I seem to remember T.O. himself saying that all he did is pop his head in on McBride and what he was doing.

I think it is much different for an Offensive guy to just pop his head in on a defensive guy versus the other way around. What are there like 100+ offensive plays versus how many defensive plays? Defense is more about motivation and playing hard than executing offensive plays. A head coach should ALWAYS know what the offense is doing.

What does Bo do all day long when they are not practicing if he doesnt participate in offensive stuff? I mean how long could it take to game plan for the defense?

I think most of us agree that we need a solid ground game. I'm not talking the eric crouch era but it's crazy to watch georgia tech score over 40 on people running that triple option that Nebraska and TO made famous. I really want our offense to open the pass with the run and not the other way around. I feel like with the majority of B12 schools going spread...let's go different. (I know West coast...) A great way to pick up top recruits is little competition from other schools since their offense doesn't require said player.

The offensive and defensive coaches talk to each other about what works, what's tough to stop, "do we run anything like this?" It is not like they retreat to soundproof booths when the other side talks. You think they're playing "The Newlywed Game" in the football offices? If Bo thinks Wats is struggling, he talks to him. When he says, "I let him do his thing," it is Bo just saying he trusts him. Do you really think if Bo is standing on the sidelines thinking they're destined to lose if they keep forcing the passing game, for example, he doesn't say anything and let's the game slip away?

I'm pretty sure all of the O Coaches have a say in the game plan. It isn't just Watson in a room making stuff up.

He may like to do some things differently but injuries, weather or, unfortunately, personnel just don't permit it. Play the hand you're dealt as best you can.

This O Line has not proven to be dominant(I expect spelling kudos) so that is certainly a big factor as well.

He may like to do some things differently but injuries, WEATHER or, unfortunately, PERSONNEL just don't permit it. Play the hand you're dealt as best you can.

Youre probably right here. Against MU the weather definitely dictated that we should throw the ball every down. :sarcasm

As far as personnel....I think many will agree with me that we have the best stable of RB's as we have had in MANY years. We might not have 1 really really good back but we have a lot that are pretty solid can get the job done.

This all just comes down to Watson being stubborn just like Callahan was...he WANTS to throw the ball FIRST then run. This is where Bo needs to step in. Unless this is also what Bo wants, and that would be well, disappointing.