Does BO need to get more involved with the offense?

TheKiD

I'm not seeing a clear identity with this offense. It seems every game we see an entirely different offense and an entirely different focus.

Say what you want but i did like BC's attitude of "we take what we want" vs. the attitude now of "we take what they give us".

What do we do when they don't give us anything? We get the VT and MU games.

You're not just channeling the Shatel article, are you? Weird how this comes up the same day Shatel writes about our offense's lack of identity. Same phrases and everything.

TheKiD, I think you kind of answered your own question.

Our identity is "we'll take what they give us", by whatever means necessary.

We don't have the offense these days to say "here's what we're doing, try and stop us". That's just not how we work now, and with the exception of Georgia Tech, I don't see any other Top 25 team with a mentality like what we used to have.

Bo has said from the beginning that he will offer advice or suggestions to Watson, but he is not going to be overly involved.

When you look at the MU game, it was Bo and Wats who were responsible for the great play in th 4th quarter. Bo threatened the starters by playing the back ups early in the second quarter, and low and behold the offense got the message and started to produce.

From what I read it was Gilmore who benched the WR's?

Bo has said from the beginning that he will offer advice or suggestions to Watson, but he is not going to be overly involved.

When you look at the MU game, it was Bo and Wats who were responsible for the great play in th 4th quarter. Bo threatened the starters by playing the back ups early in the second quarter, and low and behold the offense got the message and started to produce.

From what I read it was Gilmore who benched the WR's?

I meant the team in general. Gilmore has no control over Green warming up on the side lines, awaiting his shot if Lee doesn't get things going. ;)

Idk though, my assumption is that all the coaches came to a consensus and it was decided to play the back ups. I don't think assistant coaches have the power to just put out there who they want to put out there at any given time, but I could be mistaken? :dunno

Until Lee can take comand of the offense, hit open recievers on a consistent basis, we will lack identity.

I think Bo stays right where he is and doing just as he is now.

Talent will fix the problems that some are concerned about. Until that talent is there, we will see the play we have. We are not far off, and the kids could grow more this year. Bo is not going to fix the problems the offense is having.

Bo's forte is motivating a player to hit, run through a wall for the team. I think we see it in the offense, but the ability to do it is not at the elite level.

Our Oline is where we have to start, it needs to improve, and talent needs to be infused into it I think.

But it seems they are working on it and we are not 1-4, it is the opposite. Keep the faith Kid, it is not an overnite return to the top. Althought it does seem to be happening faster than I thought.

Next year you will see closer to what you are looking for. Watson is doing a fine job and I think he is still playing with his toys. Finding the favorites so to speak.

Here is what TO might say when asked about not running the game. The TO doctrine is you must run the ball to take championships due to oct and nov weather when asked to chat up Bo and Watson re his doctrine!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091009/BIGRED/710099772

""Thanks for your recent e-mail. You make some very interesting and valid points. I’m sure the coaches are thinking about many of the things that you pointed out in your letter. Hopefully we will improve those areas that could use some work, yet at the same time maintain excellence in the things we are doing well.""

re the running game and Helu

"Helu practicing in green

« Blog - Sports Writers

Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter

Filed by Jon Nyatawa at 4:45 p.m.

Now without backup Rex Burkhead, Nebraska can't afford any more injuries at I-back. Maybe that's why the NU staff is being extra cautious with Roy Helu.

The Huskers' top I-back began Tuesday's practice wearing a green, no-contact jersey – this coming just a day after coach Bo Pelini told reporters that Helu was “fine.”

It was apparent, though, after the Missouri game Thursday, that Helu was dealing with pain in his right shoulder. He grabbed that shoulder after his fourth quarter touchdown run and he wore ice on it as he made his way toward the team bus.

Nebraska made a concerted effort to protect Helu during spring practices and preseason camp, holding him out of several practices just in case. So limiting Helu today isn't an abnormal measure. Just maybe a bit worrisome.

Helu's already played a critical role for the Huskers this season, and his workload is only expected to increase after it was learned today that Burkhead injured his right foot in practice Monday.

Burkhead's out indefinitely. Redshirt freshman Lester Ward, sophomore Austin Jones and sophomore Marcus Mendoza are among the candidates to replace him. They'll certainly receive extra attention in practice today."

owh link

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091013/BIGR...139968/0/BIGRED

I think he should learn as much from T.O. as he can and ask for T.O.'s input on O-line coaching. Bo made mention of it last year when a few times T.O. would check in and comment on this or that of the team. Perhaps he should take a few lines from T.O.'s play book and get the O-line up to speed.

It's not that our offense couldn't be great, but the throw first crap and mediocre run game due to an Oline that doesn't block well needs to be fixed before the trophy case can be expanded.

100% correct!

Fluffball will never return NU to dominance. We simply "must" have an excellent running game that we recruit and develop. After the Callahan supreme disaster you would think we would have learned....

Until Lee can take comand of the offense, hit open recievers on a consistent basis, we will lack identity.

I think Bo stays right where he is and doing just as he is now.

Talent will fix the problems that some are concerned about. Until that talent is there, we will see the play we have. We are not far off, and the kids could grow more this year. Bo is not going to fix the problems the offense is having.

Bo's forte is motivating a player to hit, run through a wall for the team. I think we see it in the offense, but the ability to do it is not at the elite level.

Our Oline is where we have to start, it needs to improve, and talent needs to be infused into it I think.

But it seems they are working on it and we are not 1-4, it is the opposite. Keep the faith Kid, it is not an overnite return to the top. Althought it does seem to be happening faster than I thought.

Next year, when Cody Green is the starter, you will see closer to what you are looking for. Watson is doing a fine job and I think he is still playing with his toys. Finding the favorites so to speak.

Liked what you said, just thought it needed a tweak.

He's got one of the greatest offensive minds in the history of college football sitting up there as his AD. Bo would be an absolute fool if he didn't suck Tom's brain completely dry of information.

Watson needs to humbly come into Tom's office, eyes lowered, and say "Will you teach me......Master?" Tom responds "Yes grasshopper, but there is this little matter of a 10 year non-compete that you must first address. Sign here, here, and here. Your training begins tomorrow."

I think offensively their problem right now isn't Watson, but moreso the fact they lack a true gamebreaker/playmaker. Other than Helu, who really strikes fear into opposing defenses from NU's offense? Nobody. Teams are stacking the box and forcing Lee to beat them and he's struggling as a result. Some of it is his ineffectiveness and some of it is lack of playmakers.

This may be true but do you really think that Nebraska will ever be able to recruit the type of playmakers that USC and Florida and Texas have? I for one do not think so. We will be able to recruit nice, good players at the wide receiver position and we might be able to snag a top notch QB and RB every now and then. What we can do is recruit big bad linemen who will open up massive holes for our nice RB's who can then run HARD. You dont have to recruit a playmaker at RB to get him to run HARD. This is what Nebraska has always done and needs to continue to do.

He's said many times he leaves Watson to worry about the offense. I see a big disconnect between the mentality of the defense and the mentality of the offense.

So... is it time for BO to work on the Offense's mentality more directly?

Bo needs to hire an offensive coordinator who knows his a** from a hole in the ground. Never liked Watson, never will and if you want more proof, look at his "scheme" against Missouri. This guy is a complete farce and needs to exit NOW. Watson is to the offense what Cosgrove was to the defense IMO.