BCS

either way, strength of schedule will play into who gets an at large bid at that point as well as fan following.

Only to the extent of determining BCS eligibility. Other than that, it will hardly mean anything.

the Big 12 is stronger as a whole than the ACC and its not close.

True, but irrelevant. They will only look at the teams in question.

NU has a much stronger fan following and that is also not close.

True, and quite relevant. But enough?

Only 1 non-BCS school is allowed in so that means they cant take 2 spots (captain obvious is me)!

False. Where do you come up with this stuff?

im not going to go through all of those pages again, but it is in the official BCS guidelines...just reading what i see good sir...

You didn't real through it all the first time. Only 1 non-BCS school gets an automatic spot, even if two or more are ranked high enough for the automatic qualification. But that doesn't eliminate another one from an at-large spot.

Only 1 non-BCS school is allowed in so that means they cant take 2 spots (captain obvious is me)!

False. Where do you come up with this stuff?

im not going to go through all of those pages again, but it is in the official BCS guidelines...just reading what i see good sir...

You didn't real through it all the first time. Only 1 non-BCS school gets an automatic spot, even if two or more are ranked high enough for the automatic qualification. But that doesn't eliminate another one from an at-large spot.

ok i could see that but i still highly doubt that a non-BCS school would get the nod over an 11 win nebraska team if that were to be our record after the big 12 title game! in fact i know they wouldnt.

if we are 11-2 there is literally almost no chance that we would be left out!

Depending on the outcome of the win if we win, if its a big win like us high score against them only holding them to a touchdown or two I could see us at possibly maybe 13th I also think if we win the big 12 north we could make it to the Sugar Bowl or Cotton.

Isn't the big 12 winner tied into the Fiesta Bowl? Usually the loser can go to the Cotton, we did a few years back when we played and lost to Auburn.

yeah it is....i think IF we win out and lose in the big 12 title game to texas, texas will go to the national championship game and i think we would then get an at large bid to the Fiesta Bowl!

that would put us as 11-2 and a top 10 ranking, there would be absolutely no way we would not go to a BCS bowl because OU will then have at least 3 losses and the big 12 will have an at large bid no matter what.....

so basically i think if we will till the championship game we will make a BCS bowl.

as for what we will be ranked if we win this weekend, i would think around 14 in the AP poll, 12 in the coaches poll, and very likely around 10 in the BCS poll....

You realize that highlighted part is not a guarantee, right? The Fiesta can take any BCS eligible team to replace Texas, they do not have to choose a Big 12 team, nor does any other BCS bowl, unless we automatically qualify by being in the top 4.

The SEC will certainly get an at large spot unless a lot of upsets happen.

Boise St will probably stay unbeaten and if they do, will certainly get one.

If Iowa beats Wisconsin this weekend, they could roll into Columbus unbeaten and even with a loss there could take a spot. We probably want Iowa to give Ohio State their second loss, but who's to say the bowls don't pick Ohio State over us?

TCU still plays BYU and Utah, and if they run the table, do they get a spot?

How about Miami? They are through the guts of their schedule and could easily go 11-1, and that'll probably be enough, though I don't know if the Orange Bowl will want a VT rematch game.

I think we'll be one of 4 teams competing for 2 spots in this scenario. The losses would be against impressive teams, but anybody could lose to VT and Texas. What's more important is who we did beat. Also, in this kind of scenario, probably only the SEC CG loser will be coming off a loss.

The more I think about this, the less likely I see us getting a BCS spot unless we win the Big 12, but plenty can change between now and then. Iowa, Miami and TCU could all lose and drop out.

That's all the speculation I'll do this early, and I'm not giving in to Texas either. I'm also not counting the rest of our games as wins until they're played.

yes i realize that.

qualifications for a BCS at large bid are as follows:

Ranked in top 14

At least 9 wins

that means that 10 of the top 14 teams (unless a conference champion is outside of the top 12...unlikely) will make a BCS bowl. Only 1 non-BCS school is allowed in so that means they cant take 2 spots (captain obvious is me)!

"The current BCS standings and the top 14 rule, allow only nine teams to currently qualify for an at-large spot. With the current BCS scenario, teams in the Big Ten, Big East and ACC will be out of luck when it comes to an at-large bid."

that leaves the SEC, Big 12, and Pac 10 to get an at large bid. The SEC will get one no doubt about it. The Big 12 and Pac 10 are easily the 2nd and 3rd best conferences respectively and will each likely get an at large bid.

if an independent team qualifies for an at large they have to have 9 wins, so if notre dame gets 9 wins they will also likely make a BCS bowl thus leaving out an at large bid from one of the three afformentioned conferences. that is pretty much the only way that i can find that one of those 3 conferences wouldnt get an at large.....

How do you figure that the ACC is automatically left out due to the Top 14 rule? If Miami runs the table and VT runs the table then I guarantee you that Miami gets an at large bid as a 1 loss team.

that was quoted off of a BCS rules website. it said that by the current rules they would be left out....

They don't mean permanently this year, they just mean as of right now. Miami will meet the qualifications if they win out.

either way, strength of schedule will play into who gets an at large bid at that point as well as fan following.

the Big 12 is stronger as a whole than the ACC and its not close.

NU has a much stronger fan following and that is also not close.

:wtf OH!!!! The insanity of it all!! :wacko:

Can't forget about notre dame and what will be their overglorified 9-3 record at best. :bang. Those guys don't deserve anything close to a bcs bowl. They should join the little ten and enjoy trips to San Antonio for the Alamo bowl at best.

Here is ND's remaining schedule:

10/17 No. 7 USC NBC 3:30 PM

10/24 Boston College NBC 3:30 PM

10/31 Washington State NBC 7:30 PM

11/07 Navy NBC 2:30 PM

11/14 @ Pittsburgh TBA

11/21 Connecticut NBC 2:30 PM

11/28 @ Stanford 8:00 PM

I think they will lose at least 3 more games and possibly as many as 5 more. USC is a loss. I think they lose 2 of the following: BC, Navy, Pitt, UConn, Stanford. Most likely chances for a loss are BC, Pitt, and Stanford. Assuming ND goes 4-3 down the stretch, that makes them 8-4 overall. There is no way they get into the BCS right? I think they have to have 9 wins to be eligible, man if they get into the BCS I will be pissed.

Thiis game has the potential to move us even higher than we moved last week. Here is why, the prelude to this game is an early Texas Sooner game in Jerry's World. That is our lead in and the eyeballs and ratings wil be sky high. If we look as good as Texas or Oklah. or much better and Suh has another very strong game it will be ra ocket shot to the top ten ranking that we have not had for some time. It is no secret TT has the #1 offense, and if we destroy them, it will open a lot of voter's eyes. People will pull for the comeback of the tradional Big Red.

But, should we get embarrassed, it will look like we just stepped in an elavator shaft!

Notre Dame gets in automatically if they are in the top 8. No requirement on the number of wins but you know they can't lose too many and be in the top 8.

Otherwise they can be considered for an at-large spot if they meet the same requirements that everyone else has--9 wins, and top 14 (or top 18 if they can't fill the spots from the top 14 due to the 2 teams from a conference limit).

Thiis game has the potential to move us even higher than we moved last week. Here is why, the prelude to this game is an early Texas Sooner game in Jerry's World. That is our lead in and the eyeballs and ratings wil be sky high. If we look as good as Texas or Oklah. or much better and Suh has another very strong game it will be ra ocket shot to the top ten ranking that we have not had for some time. It is no secret TT has the #1 offense, and if we destroy them, it will open a lot of voter's eyes. People will pull for the comeback of the tradional Big Red.

But, should we get embarrassed, it will look like we just stepped in an elavator shaft!

I don't know the typical CFB TV numbers but I'll be really surprised if a regional game on a Saturday afternoon draws more viewers than a primetime nationally broadcast game (the Mizzou game).

TT is ranked #2 in both scoring and total offensive yards per game, so that's a really bad secret you have there.