Nebraska/Florida

Say Florida runs the table and wins another National Championship this year making it 3 in 4 years. Would that 4 year run end all the talk of people saying what NU did at the end of TO’s career never happening again? Also would 3 National Championships, 1(maybe 2 Heisman’s and another Top 3 finish) push Tim Tebow into the talks of one of the best to ever play College Football thus lower people memories of Tommie Frazier?

I think the thing that hurts Florida and helps NU is the 6 losses compared to 2 in that 4 year stretch. I will say this though, it is a lot harder to win all of your games in the current SEC then it was to win them all in the late Big 8 and early Big 12.

People outside of Nebraska are already forgetting about the run NU had and I think if Florida wins again it will push it that much farther back in their minds.

I think to be really honest about the comparison, we'd have to go back and look at our level of competition at that time and compare it to the level of competition Florida has faced in the same amount of time.

But a short answer is no. The 'Skers of the 90's will always be remembered as the best team in college football history. To hell with what others may say or think.

I think to be really honest about the comparison, we'd have to go back and look at our level of competition at that time and compare it to the level of competition Florida has faced in the same amount of time.

But a short answer is no. The 'Skers of the 90's will always be remembered as the best team in college football history. To hell with what others may say or think.

:yeah

Some will say Florida has matched/eclipsed the Huskers of the 90s. Some won't. I'd like to see a breakdown of the level of competition each team faced. I know for a fact that Nebraska's 1995 season was full of highly-ranked opponents, something like four teams in the final top ten, all of which we beat by 14+ points.

Why does everyone act like the SEC now is better than anything in the past? Did nobody know how to play football back then? People try to say the undefeated miami dolphin team played crappy teams back then but were they super talented in comparison? The competition is the same. Kids may be faster and stronger now but if they were lacking physically back in the 90's it was across the board.

Now the schedule of the 95....NU beat 4 top 10 teams that year! #8 KSU, #7 CU, #10 KU, #2 Florida.

94 schedule: #24 WVU, #13 UCLA, #16 KSU, #2 CU, #3 Miami

97 Schedule: #2 Washington, #17 KSU, #14 TAM, #3 Tennessee.

Don't see how Florida's strength of schedule is so much better...

Some will say Florida has matched/eclipsed the Huskers of the 90s. Some won't. I'd like to see a breakdown of the level of competition each team faced. I know for a fact that Nebraska's 1995 season was full of highly-ranked opponents, something like four teams in the final top ten, all of which we beat by 14+ points.

That's the big key right there. The level of domination we had can not be matched.

When we played K-State that year, they had the number 1 defense in the country I believe. The Washington State Cougars also had an extremely talented defense, and we beat both of them by at least 14 points.

IMO it is the circle of life. I am 21 and I don't remember anything about "our run" personally. I just hear stories of our greatness. I remember as far back as 2001, so you could almost call me a 2nd generation Husker, having lived through Solichs' collapse, the Callahan era and FINALLY some true sight of what we "used" to be like with Pelini.

There is no way you can compare the two teams, and you can not say one was better than the other. Records are in the Record books, and those records are meant to be, and WILL be broken. I don't think people have forgot anything, considering if you read any of the current press articles they usually refer to us being "back".

Hypothetically if IMO if you matched the two teams up I have no doubt it would be a battle, considering Gtech runs some trains on SEC teams with some very average option/ground pound talent, I can't even imagine what a super star Husker team would do.

But you have to give credit where credit is do, if you don't think Floridas team last year wouldn't have given Dr. Tom and the 95 Huskers all they wanted youre a damn fool, IMO today they know more about nutrition, weight training, and in general-people are bigger/stronger due to it. They also start playing football much earlier. I think our advantage would be the offense that they havn't seen, but then again, had they seen what Florida is doing?

We could be hypothetical all day but I think we should just be happy it happened, give Florida credit, and wait patiently for it to happen again for us^^;;

But you have to give credit where credit is do, if you don't think Floridas team last year wouldn't have given Dr. Tom and the 95 Huskers all they wanted youre a damn fool,

I recall a statement by someone recalling The Florida team in 95 and the great strategy they will surely come up with to defend against the Huskers' offensive weapons.

One astute fan said, "I could come up with a great strategy to contain the Huskers offense too, but you can't tackle the ball carrier when you are lying on your back."

That pretty much summed it all up nicely. The OL was so utterly dominant, that the DL would just have giant gaping holes in it, and the LBs were too slow to catch our offensive backfield.

By the way, the same was true in reverse...Our DL was in the backfield on every play almost.

-ThePancakeMan

IMO it is the circle of life. I am 21 and I don't remember anything about "our run" personally. I just hear stories of our greatness. I remember as far back as 2001, so you could almost call me a 2nd generation Husker, having lived through Solichs' collapse, the Callahan era and FINALLY some true sight of what we "used" to be like with Pelini.

There is no way you can compare the two teams, and you can not say one was better than the other. Records are in the Record books, and those records are meant to be, and WILL be broken. I don't think people have forgot anything, considering if you read any of the current press articles they usually refer to us being "back".

Hypothetically if IMO if you matched the two teams up I have no doubt it would be a battle, considering Gtech runs some trains on SEC teams with some very average option/ground pound talent, I can't even imagine what a super star Husker team would do.

But you have to give credit where credit is do, if you don't think Floridas team last year wouldn't have given Dr. Tom and the 95 Huskers all they wanted youre a damn fool, IMO today they know more about nutrition, weight training, and in general-people are bigger/stronger due to it. They also start playing football much earlier. I think our advantage would be the offense that they havn't seen, but then again, had they seen what Florida is doing?

We could be hypothetical all day but I think we should just be happy it happened, give Florida credit, and wait patiently for it to happen again for us^^;;

i am only slightly older than you (about ready to turn 23) and i do remember that run!

Florida in 1995 ran a finesse offense......Florida in 2008 also ran a finesse offense!

In 1995 #1 Nebraska simply ran through #2 Florida by the widest margin in MNC history. Nebraska did that with physical play and sound assignment football as well as the fact that teams didnt see our offense every week. On top of that we were more fundamentally sound with our play in the 90s than Florida has been in the last 3 years.

Physical play with dominating players will ALWAYS beat finesse play with dominating players.

I honestly think that the 95 Huskers could and would line up with the 2008 Gators and utterly dominate them. There is a reason that Florida lost a game last season.

Players are not as superior today as the media etc. would have you think, think of players like junior seau, irving fryer, brett favre and many many others.....these guys all played close to or more than 20 years in the NFL. They are/were playing with players that are 20 years younger than them and still winning their fair share of battles even though they are from a different generation of player.

Yeah those guys are the outliers, but NU teams were full of some of the best athletes in the country in the 90s.

There is a reason people hate Nebraska, its because we have experienced things that will never be repeated.

I haven’t found anything for 06 & 07 yet, but last year Florida beat #4 LSU, #6 Georgia, #25 S. Carolina, #20 Florida St., #1 Alabama, and #1 Oklahoma.

This year they have beaten #4 LSU, with #22 S. Carolina left plus (assuming they both run the table) #2 Alabama and then to win the National Championship it would be #2 somebody else.

All of this is moot if someone would just beat Florida though.

But you have to give credit where credit is do, if you don't think Floridas team last year wouldn't have given Dr. Tom and the 95 Huskers all they wanted youre a damn fool

I guess I'm a damn fool. You should not speak of things with such certainty when you were not here to witness them firsthand. If you were old enough to have experienced those years as many of us were so fortunate to have witnessed, you would have realized that what you just said makes you sound like the damn fool (or more kindly said "suffering from the petulance of youth"). :)

I don’t think that Florida could have played with the 1995 team, that being said I think they could have played with the 1994 & 1997 team. This Florida team is a different beast then the one that Spurrier fielded in 1995. This team wants to run the ball instead of the “Fun N’ Gun” empty backfield stuff. Also this team has a much better defense then the one from that year.

I don’t think that Florida could have played with the 1995 team, that being said I think they could have played with the 1994 & 1997 team. This Florida team is a different beast then the one that Spurrier fielded in 1995. This team wants to run the ball instead of the “Fun N’ Gun” empty backfield stuff. Also this team has a much better defense then the one from that year.

Actually, wasn't it after the Fiesta Bowl pasting that Florida grabbed K-State's defensive coordinator and started to make a concerted effort on building a defense--or am I remembering incorrectly?