Nebraska/Florida

Problem here is that you're looking at the rankings for teams when they played them and not at the end of the year. That FINAL AP poll in '95 was Jean Shorts #2, CU #5, KSUCKS #7, KU #9. You look at Jean Shorts in '06 and they beat #3 LSU, #2 Ohio State, #13 Arkansas, #23 UGA, #25 Tennessee and lost to #9 Auburn. Pretty good. Last year they beat (pre bowl game rankings) #1 OU, #4 Alabama, #17 UGA, and lost to #24 Ole Piss...doesn't really compare, especially when you consider how 'Bama got blown out by Utah.

Final USA Today rankings from last year – #5 OU, #6 Bama, #10 GA, #23 FSU. Ole Miss was #15.

While this is all fun debating this, we'll never get an answer because unless someone is going to go to a lot of trouble getting LP out of jail and some slim fast for Tommie the 95' Huskers are never going to play the 06'-09' Gators. I just find it interesting with all this parity talk being bantered around that 2 teams have won 4 of the NC's in the past 6 seasons, and they're from the same conference. It's also interesting looking back 30 years ago at the top teams comparing them to now. In 1979, Alabama was #1 while today they are #3. USC was #2 then while now being #5. OU was #3 while #18 today. Ohio State was #4 while being #7 today. The same strong teams known back then as the haves are still the top teams some 30 years later.

Why does everyone act like the SEC now is better than anything in the past? Did nobody know how to play football back then? People try to say the undefeated miami dolphin team played crappy teams back then but were they super talented in comparison? The competition is the same. Kids may be faster and stronger now but if they were lacking physically back in the 90's it was across the board.

Now the schedule of the 95....NU beat 4 top 10 teams that year! #8 KSU, #7 CU, #10 KU, #2 Florida.

94 schedule: #24 WVU, #13 UCLA, #16 KSU, #2 CU, #3 Miami

97 Schedule: #2 Washington, #17 KSU, #14 TAM, #3 Tennessee.

Don't see how Florida's strength of schedule is so much better...

You got that Kind of Backwards #2 Florida, #5 Colorado, #7 KSU, #9 KU. NU obliterated 4 Top 10 teams, 2 of which were Top 5 as well as posting the greatest blowout in a NC game ever. No way in hell does Florida take the mantle of the greatest dynasty in CFB history. None of their championship teams can boast being undefeated. All 3 of NU's were.

The gumby Pick said

"You just can't directly compare teams from more than a few years apart for this reason. Nebraska 1971 was undeniably one of the greatest teams of all time, beating #2 teams back-to-back (or maybe Hawaii was sandwiched in there) plus the #3 team. But looking at the speed, size and strength of the players, if you dropped that team in against any major team now, they'd probably get crushed. Likewise, the world class speed on 1967 USC (Simpson and McCullough were on a relay team that set the 4x110 world record) would be pretty average today. So I only consider how good a team is realitive to their era when trying to judge teams from different eras."

I agree with this. .

Florida>Nebraska The option base offense wouldn't stand a chance against the defense they play now. :hellloooo

Isn't that the reason Nebraska went to the west coast offense? Can't have it both ways <_<

Our offense today has nothing to do with whether 90s-era Nebraska is better than current Florida. Whatever point you're trying to make... you didn't make it.

And FYI - the 1994 team and the 1997 team would play with Florida's last couple of defenses, easy.

1995 Nebraska would run roughshod over this Florida defense.

The problem is: That 95 team was fast (and physical) by any era's measurement. Just watch the vids and tell me that Florida wouldn't get trampled. I don't think there was a game all year that the starters weren't pulled wayyy early. By the 4th quarter, those NU lineman would have made red paste of Florida's defenders just like they did to all the teams that they played. The stretcher-bearers worked overtime that year from all the opposing players that were carted off the field.

I would love to see Jesus Tebow put his head down and try a tough run on that D-line. Another concussion would be the least of his worries. They would have found his head and helmet about 30 rows up. Putting that fraud in the same paragraph as Frazier makes me want to vomit. This is ludicrous--especially on a Husker forum. People are actually trying to favorably compare a team that just scored a measly 13 points in their last game to the greatest team that ever graced a football field, REGARDLESS OF ERA. Are you friggin' serious? Some people OBVIOUSLY were in diapers or under a rock and didn't watch any of their games, or they'd know what a laugher this comparison is.

Putting that fraud (TEBOW) in the same paragraph as Frazier makes me want to vomit. This is ludicrous--especially on a Husker forum.

I wouldn't call him a fraud. I like Tebow. I'd trade Egg for him in a second. That's not a knock on Egg's struggles so far - Tebow is just legitimately that good. I'd never, never trade Tebow for Frazier. But I'd maybe trade him for Crouch.

Putting that fraud (TEBOW) in the same paragraph as Frazier makes me want to vomit. This is ludicrous--especially on a Husker forum.

I wouldn't call him a fraud. I like Tebow. I'd trade Egg for him in a second. That's not a knock on Egg's struggles so far - Tebow is just legitimately that good. I'd never, never trade Tebow for Frazier. But I'd maybe trade him for Crouch.

Yeah, you're right. He isn't a fraud. He's a good player. I just feel that it is "fraudulent" that he is the leading Heisman contender for his performance thus far this season, and that's the national media's fault--not his. I stand corrected.

Why does everyone act like the SEC now is better than anything in the past? Did nobody know how to play football back then? People try to say the undefeated miami dolphin team played crappy teams back then but were they super talented in comparison? The competition is the same. Kids may be faster and stronger now but if they were lacking physically back in the 90's it was across the board.

Now the schedule of the 95....NU beat 4 top 10 teams that year! #8 KSU, #7 CU, #10 KU, #2 Florida.

You got that Kind of Backwards #2 Florida, #5 Colorado, #7 KSU, #9 KU. NU obliterated 4 Top 10 teams, 2 of which were Top 5 as well as posting the greatest blowout in a NC game ever. No way in hell does Florida take the mantle of the greatest dynasty in CFB history. None of their championship teams can boast being undefeated. All 3 of NU's were.

Huh. Where'd you get those numbers? I pulled mine from the huskerpedia archives. Maybe they're wrong.

Huh. Where'd you get those numbers? I pulled mine from the huskerpedia archives. Maybe they're wrong.

I still have the paper that has the final polls. Those were the final polls.