Nebraska/Florida

Putting that fraud (TEBOW) in the same paragraph as Frazier makes me want to vomit. This is ludicrous--especially on a Husker forum.

I wouldn't call him a fraud. I like Tebow. I'd trade Egg for him in a second. That's not a knock on Egg's struggles so far - Tebow is just legitimately that good. I'd never, never trade Tebow for Frazier. But I'd maybe trade him for Crouch.

Yeah, you're right. He isn't a fraud. He's a good player. I just feel that it is "fraudulent" that he is the leading Heisman contender for his performance thus far this season, and that's the national media's fault--not his. I stand corrected.

tebow is a fraud. simple as that. imo the guy was not worthy of 1 heisman let alone 2 if he gets a second! the guy is a slightly above average qb at the college level.......ie: there are at least 10 other current players that i would rather have running my team than him. Look at his stats and tell me that is a heisman winner!

colt mccoy the last couple years has been head and shoulder better than tebow yet tebow gets the recognition because he does things off the field! you shouldnt get special treatment because of what you do off of the field, it is a FOOTBALL award not a humanity award.

Why does everyone act like the SEC now is better than anything in the past? Did nobody know how to play football back then? People try to say the undefeated miami dolphin team played crappy teams back then but were they super talented in comparison? The competition is the same. Kids may be faster and stronger now but if they were lacking physically back in the 90's it was across the board.

Now the schedule of the 95....NU beat 4 top 10 teams that year! #8 KSU, #7 CU, #10 KU, #2 Florida.

94 schedule: #24 WVU, #13 UCLA, #16 KSU, #2 CU, #3 Miami

97 Schedule: #2 Washington, #17 KSU, #14 TAM, #3 Tennessee.

Don't see how Florida's strength of schedule is so much better...

You got that Kind of Backwards #2 Florida, #5 Colorado, #7 KSU, #9 KU. NU obliterated 4 Top 10 teams, 2 of which were Top 5 as well as posting the greatest blowout in a NC game ever. No way in hell does Florida take the mantle of the greatest dynasty in CFB history. None of their championship teams can boast being undefeated. All 3 of NU's were.

Huh. Where'd you get those numbers? I pulled mine from the huskerpedia archives. Maybe they're wrong.

I still have the paper that has the final polls. Those were the final polls.

Oh ok. Those were the rankings at game time.....

In many ways..Top teams of today "seem" inferior than teams from just a decade ago.

It might be partly due to all the parity, but to me..It's the "finnesse" pass happy Offenses...Where a QB could be hot in one game, then lay an egg the next..Our '95 team pretty much shut down Florida's "Fun-n-Gun back then..Most of today's offenses don't appear to be that much more hard to defend.

There was a little more feeling of superiority in knowing you could pound the ball down the other team's throat..Rushing yards were more better than passing yards because of the time it took off the clock..

This year's Florida team has a great Defense..And a more than adequate Offense..

(But I doubt they get past Alabama).

I think Tebow's a fraud...off the field that is.

Yawn.

Why do you think he is a fraud off the field? Is it because you want him to be or because you find it hard to believe that somebody could be that straight an arrow? He walks the walk and I applaud him for that. Ron Brown is the same way so is Turner Gill, Larry Asante, Roy Helu, Colt McCoy. Are they frauds off the field? Just wondering. :dunno

Are we that jaded of a country that when there appears to be a solid sports role model that we can't take him at his word?:dunno

People outside of Nebraska are already forgetting about the run NU had

that's cuz it's over a decade ago.

comparing teams across decades is almost the ultimate apples/oranges comparison.

winning three out of four gets much harder in the reduced schollie and more parity era.

hell, it's even more difficult for a B12 team compared to a b8 team.

Yawn.

Why do you think he is a fraud off the field?Is it because you want him to be or because you find it hard to believe that somebody could be that straight an arrow?He walks the walk and I applaud him for that. Ron Brown is the same way so is Turner Gill, Larry Asante, Roy Helu, Colt McCoy. Are they frauds off the field?Just wondering. :dunno

Are we that jaded of a country that when there appears to be a solid sports role model that we can't take him at his word?:dunno

Agreed. I think Tebow is as advertised.

Maybe there's a wish that he wasn't, because it seems unfair for one guy to be so successful, have so bright a future, and at the same time be so "good." Hard to say. Bottom line, I think he's what he claims to be. A good guy who just happens to be really, really good at football.

I wish he was on our team.

Maybe Tebow's an alright guy and a sports figure to look up to. But I have thought some of his antics on the sidelines are somewhat staged. Running up and yelling at fellow players..... post game interview after the Miss loss last year.... Just to much seems like it is for the media moreso than from the heart. Maybe I just like the quiet leaders that lead by example. Something just seems fake to me with this guy.

Maybe Tebow's an alright guy and a sports figure to look up to. But I have thought some of his antics on the sidelines are somewhat staged. Running up and yelling at fellow players..... post game interview after the Miss loss last year.... Just to much seems like it is for the media moreso than from the heart. Maybe I just like the quiet leaders that lead by example. Something just seems fake to me with this guy.

:dunno

I liked him in

xP-2L3jnxFY

I liked him in this movie.

You're not going to believe this, but that's actually not Tim Tebow. I know, I know, you're saying, "knapp, STOP!! It's TIM!!!" But it's not. The resemblance is uncanny. And the naivete is spot-on for Tebow, but it's actually an actor.

Totally serious on this one.

Ok. My turn...

People really need to stop jumping on Tebow. The guy has done nothing wrong. I am as tired as everyone else is of the constant media coverage of the guy, but that really isn't his fault. He is as overrated as any player in the history of college football, but again, that is not his fault. I find it rather ironic that he is the Heisman front-runner this year with his numbers being what they are considering the Heisman trophy he already won came leading a four-loss team. Where was his famed leadership that season? For whatever reason, the media has really latched onto Tebow and the Florida Gators since he arrived.

As for the topic of the thread, there are a couple points I would like to make.

Firstly, the thread ignores the season preceding the four-year run. In the case of Nebraska, the 93-94 season was one in which Nebraska was undefeated in the regular season and lost in the title game 18-16 to FSU. Personally speaking, I am still very bitter about that game. There was a ridiculous number of personal foul calls against the huskers and William Floyd fumbled before he crossed the goal line.

Additionally, the 96-97 season in which Nebraska did not win the title, it was the first year of the Big 12 and Nebraska was in line to play for the national championship yet again until they were upset by Texas in the first Big 12 title game.

Over the course of the five-year run by Nebraska, their cumulative record was 60-3. Florida's current run of four years has resulted in a record of 40-6 thus far. That is three more losses in 23 fewer games.

Nebraska was undefeated in all three of their championship seasons in the 90s. If Florida runs the table this year, it would be their first undefeated title of their run. They lost a game in each of their titles the last three years. They were basically the most attractive one-loss team in those two seasons.

It's also interesting that LSU lost two games in their title season. The real dominance of the SEC in the last few years has been their dominance in the minds of the media and their dominance of overrated Ohio St. teams in title games.

As for the 95-96 team...

Nebraska was still in the Big 8 at that time. Four conference teams finished in the top 10 that year. None of those teams lost to anyone other than each other (bowl games included). Nebraska clobbered each of those teams and each of those teams finished 1-1 against the other two. Nebraska then went on to destroy Florida as we all know. It really is impossible to compare teams from different eras, but you have to start by comparing them to their contemporaries. I don't really see how you can argue that a team that lost a game is better than an undefeated team that blew out four of the other top 10 teams in an undefeated season.

I liked him in this movie.

You're not going to believe this, but that's actually not Tim Tebow. I know, I know, you're saying, "knapp, STOP!! It's TIM!!!" But it's not. The resemblance is uncanny. And the naivete is spot-on for Tebow, but it's actually an actor.

Totally serious on this one.

You can't fool me, knapp..

It's got to be him..or at least based on his early life...(See 1:23)

yqfhUY5UGPc&feature

Dig the Perry Como..

Ok. My turn...

People really need to stop jumping on Tebow. The guy has done nothing wrong. I am as tired as everyone else is of the constant media coverage of the guy, but that really isn't his fault. He is as overrated as any player in the history of college football, but again, that is not his fault. I find it rather ironic that he is the Heisman front-runner this year with his numbers being what they are considering the Heisman trophy he already won came leading a four-loss team. Where was his famed leadership that season? For whatever reason, the media has really latched onto Tebow and the Florida Gators since he arrived.

Firstly, the thread ignores the season preceding the four-year run. In the case of Nebraska, the 93-94 season was one in which Nebraska was undefeated in the regular season and lost in the title game 18-16 to FSU. Personally speaking, I am still very bitter about that game. There was a ridiculous number of personal foul calls against the huskers and William Floyd fumbled before he crossed the goal line.

Additionally, the 96-97 season in which Nebraska did not win the title, it was the first year of the Big 12 and Nebraska was in line to play for the national championship yet again until they were upset by Texas in the first Big 12 title game.

Over the course of the five-year run by Nebraska, their cumulative record was 60-3. Florida's current run of four years has resulted in a record of 40-6 thus far. That is three more losses in 23 fewer games.

Nebraska was undefeated in all three of their championship seasons in the 90s. If Florida runs the table this year, it would be their first undefeated title of their run. They lost a game in each of their titles the last three years. They were basically the most attractive one-loss team in those two seasons.

It's also interesting that LSU lost two games in their title season. The real dominance of the SEC in the last few years has been their dominance in the minds of the media and their dominance of overrated Ohio St. teams in title games.

As for the 95-96 team...

Nebraska was still in the Big 8 at that time. Four conference teams finished in the top 10 that year. None of those teams lost to anyone other than each other (bowl games included). Nebraska clobbered each of those teams and each of those teams finished 1-1 against the other two. Nebraska then went on to destroy Florida as we all know. It really is impossible to compare teams from different eras, but you have to start by comparing them to their contemporaries. I don't really see how you can argue that a team that lost a game is better than an undefeated team that blew out four of the other top 10 teams in an undefeated season.

You know what else is crazy, keep going on that 60-3.

1992 9-3

1998 9-4

1999 12-1 (finished season ranked #2)

2000 10-2

2001 11-2

That is an astounding record for 10 years. 111-15 over ten years and playing in 5 of the 10 National Championship games, that is absolutely mind boggling. Now think back to how many games that we lost. How many were close? Nearly all of them.

It just makes you think about how far we fell, and how quickly. Glad to have a feeling that we are on the right track. But 60-3 or 111-15 might not ever happen for anybody again.

Florida State was 108-12-1 (admittedly slightly better than ours) in the 90s with 2 NC and NU was the dominant team of the time because of the three undefeated NC they won. Simply amazing.

Florida over their 5 seasons, even assuming they go undefeated this year would wind up 58-9. That might not look like a huge difference, but figure that out per season.

Florida: 11.6 wins 1.8 losses

Nebraska: 12 wins 0.6 losses

That is an average of a game and a half better record each season, with a stronger schedule.

No, Nebraska was more dominant. I also remember digging up some info before about the talent of that era, something like 21 of the 24 starters in that Fiesta Bowl played in the NFL. That doesn't even count Frazier. Amazing stuff.

P.S. I have been drinking by myself and went stat nerd. Sorry guys.

Ok. My turn...

As for the 95-96 team...

YOU'RE bitter about that game? I'm so bitter about that game that I personally count that year as a national championship for us. The only explanation that I can come up with is that the results of that game were pre-ordained. We were simply not going to be allowed to win it. Period. The only other game that I can remember in Husker history with such criminal officiating was in 1987 when we went to South Carolina. It was like the entire team walked straight into the movie Deliverance--but I digress.

You composed your thoughts with a Shakespearean eloquence that falls wasted on the mere forum homer such as myself. It was shear prose that held me riveted and nodding like a bobble head. :worship My neck hurts..........

Ok. My turn...

As for the 95-96 team...

YOU'RE bitter about that game? I'm so bitter about that game that I personally count that year as a national championship for us. The only explanation that I can come up with is that the results of that game were pre-ordained. We were simply not going to be allowed to win it. Period. The only other game that I can remember in Husker history with such criminal officiating was in 1987 when we went to South Carolina. It was like the entire team walked straight into the movie Deliverance--but I digress.

You composed your thoughts with a Shakespearean eloquence that falls wasted on the mere forum homer such as myself. It was shear prose that held me riveted and nodding like a bobble head. :worship My neck hurts..........

Don't forget the phantom call on the punt return. <_<

By the way did you know that both teams Nebraska beat for the National Championship went on to win it the next year other then Miami of course. (96 Florida 98 Tenn.)

Why does everyone act like the SEC now is better than anything in the past? Did nobody know how to play football back then? People try to say the undefeated miami dolphin team played crappy teams back then but were they super talented in comparison? The competition is the same. Kids may be faster and stronger now but if they were lacking physically back in the 90's it was across the board.

Now the schedule of the 95....NU beat 4 top 10 teams that year! #8 KSU, #7 CU, #10 KU, #2 Florida.

94 schedule: #24 WVU, #13 UCLA, #16 KSU, #2 CU, #3 Miami

97 Schedule: #2 Washington, #17 KSU, #14 TAM, #3 Tennessee.

Don't see how Florida's strength of schedule is so much better...

You got that Kind of Backwards #2 Florida, #5 Colorado, #7 KSU, #9 KU. NU obliterated 4 Top 10 teams, 2 of which were Top 5 as well as posting the greatest blowout in a NC game ever. No way in hell does Florida take the mantle of the greatest dynasty in CFB history. None of their championship teams can boast being undefeated. All 3 of NU's were.

Huh. Where'd you get those numbers? I pulled mine from the huskerpedia archives. Maybe they're wrong.

I still have the paper that has the final polls. Those were the final polls.

Oh ok. Those were the rankings at game time.....

No they were the final polls of the season after the Fiesta Bowl.