Twodocs

From the Big Red breakfast this am

owh link

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091016/BIGR...69989/-1/BIGRED

"'We're not throwing'

« Blog - Sports Writers

Digg Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Twitter

Filed by Mitch Sherman at 9:35 a.m.

Barney Cotton shared some insight this morning into the mindset of the Nebraska offense when it took possession last week with 5:24 to play at Missouri, leading 20-12.

“We just told our players, 'Hey guys, we're going to get big,'” the NU offensive line coach said at the Big Red Breakfast in Omaha. “We put four tight ends in the game and said, 'We're not throwing. We're going to run these two plays over and over over again.' They just kind of seemed like, 'Well, why didn't we do that at the beginning?'”

Starting at its 32-yard line, NU rushed for gains of 4, 4, 2, 8, 1, 3, 41 and 5 to score the game-clinching touchdown. The drive ate 4:28 off the clock and accounted for 68 of the Huskers' 105 rushing yards.

Cotton said the final possession showed important growth from three weeks earlier, when Nebraska failed to get a first down in a similar situation against Virginia Tech – ahead 15-10 with 2:07 to play. It punted to the Hokies and lost on an 88-yard touchdown drive.

“I thought our team showed an awful lot of character,” Cotton said. “That's what we've been building for, to go out and close a game like that and make a statement.”

In the days after the victory over Missouri, Cotton said the Huskers' resolve to improve has pleased the NU coaches. Nebraska hosts Texas Tech Saturday.

“Our guys were excited to beat Missouri on the road,” he said, “but they were really disappointed, offensively, with how they played. It was nice to see that. We seem to have a bunch of players who want to hold themselves to a very high standard. And I know that we as coaches want to hold them to that very high standard

“It's nice to have a bunch of guys who want to atone after a victory and not after a loss.”

Look for a full report on Cotton's appearance later this morning on Omaha.com and in the Metropolitan Edition of The World-Herald."

Wasn't part of the success because maybe Missouri's D ran out of gas during that last drive?

Quite possibly. With the game on the line, you dont look for reasons or excuses to not give your best effort no matter how tired. You overcome or you dont. They were down one score and needed a stop with plenty of time on the clock. That series was huge. The offense won that battle.

Joe Ganz was on Big Red Wrap Up and was asked about our offensive production against Missouri. He started by praising the unit and saying they did what they had to in order to earn the win. He then spoke of the fact that the Huskers are no longer a power-I team. I think that is very important to note. Nebraska may change, but right now we are a pass team and a finese team.

Wasn't part of the success because maybe Missouri's D ran out of gas during that last drive?

Possibly, but why did we have success early in the game when it was either a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and we lined up in the I formation w/ a full back and Burkhead ran for about 5.

We struggled running against MU when we were spread out, but seemed to have some success when we went big

Joe Ganz was on Big Red Wrap Up and was asked about our offensive production against Missouri. He started by praising the unit and saying they did what they had to in order to earn the win. He then spoke of the fact that the Huskers are no longer a power-I team. I think that is very important to note. Nebraska may change, but right now we are a pass team and a finese team.

So very sadly, that is true. :hmmph

The thing with our offense is they are young and are improving little by little. I have a feeling tomorrow their gonna come out and run the ball. I really have faith in this offense tomorrow. I think the missouri game woke Shawn Watson up a bit. I think he's going to run the ball A LOT tomorrrow.