Zack Lee or Cody Green

Watched Watson's post practice conference. I liked a lot of things he said. Im glad he brought up the issue that was mentioned before.

Even though Zac has been in the system longer than Cody, neither one of them have seen college football game experience prior to this season.

The kind of defense they go against in practice is much different than what they go against on Saturday's. Its gonna take time for Lee to develop and log in time at starter and see what kind of things other teams defenses can throw at him.

Watched Watson's post practice conference. I liked a lot of things he said. Im glad he brought up the issue that was mentioned before.

Even though Zac has been in the system longer than Cody, neither one of them have seen college football game experience prior to this season.

The kind of defense they go against in practice is much different than what they go against on Saturday's. Its gonna take time for Lee to develop and log in time at starter and see what kind of things other teams defenses can throw at him.

At this point it would be much smarter to invest in a QB that will be with the program for another 3 years.

I would like to see CG start against ISU. I think it would be the perfect game for him to get his feet wet as a starter.

I think Lee is a great quarterback... for the SunBelt Conference. I don't feel that he can hang with the bigger Division 1 schools. In twelve quarters, he has only produced offense in one quarter and the defense handed him a couple of easy scores during that game. Lee is so indecisive and has no sense of urgency. This couldn't have been better displayed than during the TT game. The Huskers are down by a three touchdown deficit and he feels the need to eat up half of the third quarter play clock and some of the fourth quarter play clock... and it results in no score. All that time wasted for nothing. He wastes too much time in the pocket and instead of running the ball, he tries to roll out to the side or runs back and it results in a sack, a TFL, a possible interception, or throwing out of bounds. I know he can take a hit.. he's proved that several times with all of the sacks he has taken. If he isn't going to get it out of his hands quickly, then he needs to man up, lower his helmet and gain a few yards! But he has proven time and time again that he isn't willing to do that or doesn't have the natural ability to do that. He looks down the field and sees nothing and can't sell a fake if his life depended on it.

Do I think all of the offensive problems lie solely on Lee? No. I think our OL has problems at times, the WR need to catch the ball!, and then penalties have to stop. But Lee is so stagnant on offense that nothing ever gets accomplished. Even listening to the press conference disturbed me. IMO, he feels a sense of entitlement to this position, but I don't think he has done anything to earn it.

Green on the other hand brings a spark of life. It's obvious in his playing that he is still a rookie, but he makes a decision and sticks with it. He knows that when facing a huge deficit that there is a sense of urgency and that there isn't time to be stagnant. He's going to make mistakes, at times he will rush a pass instead of being patient, and there could be interceptions due to his lack of experience. But he is extremely positive and feels like this position has to be earned every day. He wants to get out there and play, learn and work hard, and his enthusiasm is contagious. CG is an excellent runner and IMO is a natural athlete that will excel in this position. And quite frankly, I feel like our offense needs a shake up. If it isn't the right decision at this time, then it will be revealed in the upcoming games. But to let Lee continue to start with how this season has played out is not in the best interest of the team, imo.

I don't think that how CG played against TT is any way to guage him either. Even as a back-up QB, to walk into that kind of deficit, with the home crowd expecting to see something... that's a huge amount of pressure to walk into. Starting against Iowa St. will have pressure too, but at least he will be walking into a game where he doesn't have to beat insurmountable odds on the scoreboard.

I don't expect either QB to be perfect... but I would like to see some progress. I don't want to see every drive down the field result in either no score or a FG. The Huskers have to get some touchdowns in order to win games. And with Big 12 North still up for grabs, I think CG is the best offensive leader to take us there.

I don’t care who starts as long as we win, if it’s Lee ok, if it’s Green fine by me. The thing that has always baffled me is how some fans have what appears to be a blind allegiance towards Green which started as soon as this he stepped on campus and was based off of video footage of High School games (which everyone looks good since they are HIGHLIGHT tapes). :moreinteresting I don’t understand that, but maybe that is just me.

Also for all the people that compared him to Terrelle Pryor I have to ask, if he takes over the spot this year (just like Pryor)and does pretty good this year but then comes back next year and totally struggles (just like Pryor) will you jump off his bandwagon for the next guy inline? :madash

What happens if Lee has a good showing on Saturday and Green has a poor one? Kind of like the ISU game in 2003 when people wanted Dailey to play more, Lord got us up by 20+ got replaced by Dailey who then proceeded to take a big dump*. Will people’s stances change at all? :dunno

*Disclaimer: By saying “take a big dump” I don’t mean Joe Dailey literally deposited a pile of fecal matter on the Memorial Stadium turf. I just want to clarify that because I confused someone with my use of the word “boner” in a different thread.

Just an update for everybody.

According to Rivals, the quarterback race is still close and no clear-cut starter has yet to be named.

Even though I'm sure many were hoping the decision would be announced before the game, it appears Pelini is going to stick true to his word and wait until game time to announce who the starter is.

I just want to see Green start because I want to see how he comes out and manages the game from the beginning. I want to see how well he does passing when we're not desperate to get on the scoreboard, and how well he can move when pressured. I don't expect tremendous things from him this year, but you can tell he has potential and we all want to see what he can do.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me a bit of Lee starts, and I almost expect him to. And even if Green does start, it's not like we'll be seeing the last of Lee. I'm sure they'll both be game-time decisions for the rest of the year, and I doubt either is clear-cut better than the other.

If Watson and/or Bo are still basing the race on the criteria they've been using (practice performance, knowing the playbook, etc.) they'll probably end up choosing Lee again, which is a shame, because it's time to give Green a chance. Lee may have all the right tools, make all the throws in practice and know all 300 plays like the back of his hand. But the bottom line is, you have to put it all together and perform in REAL GAMES. Lee hasn't done that. Not only has he not played well, he's played very poorly. And he's showing no signs of improvement. I'm not saying he should be at his absolute best after six games, but you should certainly be able to tell whether or not he'll ever be good at this level. Think Joe Ganz after six games (it was clear he had the makings of a good FBS QB) or Joe Dailey after six games (the opposite).

If Lee runs on the field for the first drive Saturday, of course no one should boo. He's still a Husker and he's still trying the best he can. But I will certainly be disappointed in the coaching staff should that be the case, as it would show a stubborn unwillingness to make a much needed change.

And as Cheshire says, we need to let Green lead the team in a real game from the start. That's extremely valuable experience.

I don’t care who starts as long as we win, if it’s Lee ok, if it’s Green fine by me. The thing that has always baffled me is how some fans have what appears to be a blind allegiance towards Green which started as soon as this he stepped on campus and was based off of video footage of High School games (which everyone looks good since they are HIGHLIGHT tapes). :moreinteresting I don’t understand that, but maybe that is just me.

Also for all the people that compared him to Terrelle Pryor I have to ask, if he takes over the spot this year (just like Pryor)and does pretty good this year but then comes back next year and totally struggles (just like Pryor) will you jump off his bandwagon for the next guy inline? :madash

What happens if Lee has a good showing on Saturday and Green has a poor one? Kind of like the ISU game in 2003 when people wanted Dailey to play more, Lord got us up by 20+ got replaced by Dailey who then proceeded to take a big dump*. Will people’s stances change at all? :dunno

*Disclaimer: By saying “take a big dump” I don’t mean Joe Dailey literally deposited a pile of fecal matter on the Memorial Stadium turf. I just want to clarify that because I confused someone with my use of the word “boner” in a different thread.

I can only speak for myself, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, wanting Green to step in honestly has much more to do with how terrible Lee has performed (in each of the three real games) than thinking Green will be the next Vince Young. Granted, I do think Green has shown a lot of good things in his limited experience, and I believe he not only has a ton of potential for future seasons, but that he's actually the better game-time quarterback right now. But I assure you, I'd be asking for the backup to have a chance even if Cody Green wasn't in the picture (say, Kody Spano was #2).

Just about everyone I've read seems to be realistic about Green's expectations for the rest of this year, should he get the opportunity. People are expecting plenty of rookie mistakes. But three interceptions and 20+ points will always give us a better chance than zero interceptions and three points (Lee against Texas Tech). At least Green will pull the trigger on the medium-to-deep range routes, stretching the field on the defense, opening up the running game and giving Watson the chance to reestablish his worth as a playcaller.

If Watson and/or Bo are still basing the race on the criteria they've been using (practice performance, knowing the playbook, etc.) they'll probably end up choosing Lee again, which is a shame, because it's time to give Green a chance. Lee may have all the right tools, make all the throws in practice and know all 300 plays like the back of his hand. But the bottom line is, you have to put it all together and perform in REAL GAMES. Lee hasn't done that. Not only has he not played well, he's played very poorly. And he's showing no signs of improvement. I'm not saying he should be at his absolute best after six games, but you should certainly be able to tell whether or not he'll ever be good at this level. Think Joe Ganz after six games (it was clear he had the makings of a good FBS QB) or Joe Dailey after six games (the opposite).

If Lee runs on the field for the first drive Saturday, of course no one should boo. He's still a Husker and he's still trying the best he can. But I will certainly be disappointed in the coaching staff should that be the case, as it would show a stubborn unwillingness to make a much needed change.

And as Cheshire says, we need to let Green lead the team in a real game from the start. That's extremely valuable experience.

Good post, especially the bolded part.

In all fairness though, Joe Daily may not have been one of the better quarterbacks we ever had, but he was not recruited to play in the 'pass then run' WCO. He was recruited to play the option.

I read a rumor on another board in regards to the Lee/Green start tomorrow. He said that he had received this information from inside the program. He stated that LEE will start BUT that you will see Green come in during the FIRST quarter. Take it for what it's worth.

Wow.

That's funny. Cause I heard from a reliable source that Roy Helu will take a handoff at some point in the game.

Keep your eyes open for that.

I read a rumor on another board in regards to the Lee/Green start tomorrow. He said that he had received this information from inside the program. He stated that LEE will start BUT that you will see Green come in during the FIRST quarter. Take it for what it's worth.

Wow.

That's funny. Cause I heard from a reliable source that Roy Helu will take a handoff at some point in the game.

Keep your eyes open for that.

:laughpound