Time for a rational discussion

Would starting Cody Green do more harm than good? It is hard to say, as he did have a turnover today and Zac did not.

Yes, and Cody had a TD today and Zack did not. I just saw a lot more confidence and desire to make plays coming from Cody even after the game had been decided than i saw from Zack the whole day.

We have a lack of talent all around on offense it seems to me. Helu being the only real exception.

Our Wide receivers are average at best. Watch a day of college football, and watch the catches, and moves WRs make all around the country every Saturday. We dont see that here.

The O-line seams incapable of blowing anyone off the ball. Maybe its coaching, Iowa always seems to have a solid O-line, and a its not a team loaded with 5 stars.

Lee is a backup. Green looks like he might have the physical tools, but who knows if he has the 'it' factor that really makes a QB.

And we have seen that after Helu and Burkhead, we don't have much at RB.

I'm not sure what we need to do to get better players there, or if its simply bad coaching from Gilmore and Beck(though I doubt it with Beck as he seemed to be able to make something from nothing at KU)

Agree with a lot of your post.

Helu is the only real offensive weapon we have. The offense should start with him. I have been shocked by these pass attack game plans we have gone with vs. Mizzou (in a frickin' downpour!) and today vs. TT. Use Helu!

Lee is a below average QB...he's a nice back-up...so let's make him one. Green needs to start...yes he will make young mistakes but he will also make some plays with his legs. We are really hurting for an extra runner with Castille gone and Burkhead hurt. And I love that Green has a rocket for an arm...if you are going to pass, then really throw it once in awhile (the deep play got us back in the game finally against Mizzou).

Our WR's...I could care less if half of them never play another down. I do watch a lot of other games and see WR's all over the country making great catches. The WR's for TT made that entire first drive today by hauling in catches to convert 3rd downs. I am tired of seeing our WR's making an ordinary catch and gettting up yelling and making a big amped up commotion like they just won the Super Bowl...this is embarrasing especially because they just dropped the 2 passes prior! Get yourself back to the huddle...the coaches need to stop this nonsense. Some young WR's need to rise up because there is obvious playing time to be had at WR.

O-line...get your heads out. We need to do much better.

Use McNeill...he is a good TE and knows how to get open.

As we all know this is a very frustrating team to watch. IMO, Pelini has done a better job with the defense quicker than I would have thought...but the offense has unfortunately digressed which I did not think would happen. Callahan let the defense go in the toliet as he tried to revamp the offense...now it seems we are witnessing the flip side of that. Although I do feel like the lack of depth right now at RB and the shaky QB play is obviously a part of this lackluster offense. That being said, excuses time will run out.

:boxosoap

The biggest problem that I have with Watson is how he uses the players that we do have.

The position that we have the greatest depth at on offense is tightend. We need to utilize them, use multiple two tightend sets from under center and run the ball. If Green is to start, which I expect he will, we need to run run run then playaction boot with him and give him a few simple reads. Then as the game progress use the shotgun zone read. And most of all rely on our defense. Watson's called plays in the first half as we were an offensive juggernaut, which we clearly are not.

Talent has been the problem for quite awhile.

In honesty we see the same things we saw with the name that shall not be mentioned.

We have been getting the left overs, and they end up on offense it seems.

Kids play at junior colleges for a reason.

Until we recruit on an equal level, and I mean talent not numbers we will see what we are.

I think Bo can overcome most of the problems, but he is a defensive coach. Aggression and anger do not work that well on the offensive side. It must be more controlled. Intelligence is a primary need any offense.

We are seeing what some said would happen with Lee. Inexperienced, with no oline, no real go to wide recievers, and now really no RB. Things could get much worse it looks like before it gets better.

Still love my Huskers, as I always have, but reality is we are not that great of team.

Replacing coachs is not the answer. Hiring a real recruiting coordinator is the answer.. This staff still does not seem to understand the importance of it. I do not want to hear we get what we need, because we need a lot and I do not see it being filled.

If you watch the top teams, you see a percession between the QB and WR and RB. Ours very seldom are hit in stride, normally stopping waiting and jumping for passes that are either underthrown, behind the reciever or over his head. This has gone on forever.

We need a offense that works. Whether it is this one or returning to the old, I have no idea, but what we have is pathetic, and I am not sure it is all the coachs.

A recruiting coordinator is not going to help anything. The offense has no identity. Is this a power team? Nope. A spread passing team? No. A spread running team? Nah. A pro-style? Not really. West coast? Again not really. They call it 'multiple.' As far as I can see it means do nothing really well, and hang your hat on nothing. Regardless of what offense you run, you absolutely need to have a few plays that are your bread and butter. The good teams all have them, just watch em play on a Saturday. We need to get away from 'take what the defense gives us' and move to 'this is what we are going to do to the defense.' Its attitude as much as anything.

Now walk into a recruit's living room and try to explain what role he would play in an offense. Answers of 'multiple' or 'it depends on what the defense gives us' are not answers that are going to knock a kids socks off.

You believe it is coaching.

Sollich was a bad coach.

Callahan was a bad coach.

Peillin is a bad coach?

Talent has been lacking for all of the above at primary positions. Some time we have talent in one place, see Suh, Crick. Others never fill.

We do not have the starters of other teams, therefore our 2nd and 3rd team players are farther down the food chain.

Give the coach talent to put into a certain scheme or offense and you will see the difference.

You have to have talent to play in todays college football. At every position. It can not be one sided as it is now.

Agree mostly with last 2 posts. I think on defense, Pelini knows exactly what type of players he wants to recruit for his system. On offense, I am not sure what we are doing. We need to find identity and get players to fit a system. Otherwise it seems we are just taking what other teams leave us in recruiting. I can see the pieces coming together on defense. On offense, there are pieces (bunch of good TE's) and missing pieces (what are we doing at WR?) everywhere. Looks like we are recruiting some good O-line players and it has to start there. It is what it is right now.