Time for a rational discussion

Let's look at things the way they stand right now. Yes, Nebraska lost today with a terribly disappointing effort. However, as you can see with tonight's loss by Kansas, the Big 12 North is full of flawed teams, each with at least 1 loss. Winning the North Division is just as likely to happen tomorrow, as it was before today's game....

Let's be totally honest here..Nebraska is not a dominant team yet. Yes, we saw a glimmer of briliance for 1 quarter in the Mizzou game, and all of the sudden the fans, the media, and most likely the team, all got a little full of themselves and started buying the hype. Today, unfortunately, you saw a team fall back to Earth and demonstrate that they are still a work in progress. Can we really ask for more from a program that is full of young players (and a coaching staff), who have not enjoyed major success as a team yet?

Offensively, NU is a mess right now. But, weren't we saying the same thing after 6 games last season? There is no doubt that NU has not been able to sustain the momentum that the offense built last year, and losing Ganz, Swift and Peterson has proved to be huge losses. Shawn Watson has not all of the sudden become a dummy....he deserves a little bit of a break due to the fact that he does not have the weapons that he had last year. We could have the greatest OC in the world, but if that OC had to utilize the inexperienced and injured group that Watson currently has to work with, I think anyone would struggle finding consistency. It's time for Watson to find out which players he can go to war with at every position on offense, and build from that group. Based on Watson's track record, there's no doubt that the offense will improve as the season wears on. Nebraska simply does not have the experience and the depth to simply reload from season to season, and have a dominant offense. If there's one positive to look forward to, it's the fact that lots of young skill players are getting experience this season, so the offense should hit the ground running better next season.

Defensively, NU is much better than where we were last season. There's no doubt that the defense will have to be great from here on out for NU to win the North. In order to do this, the Blackshirts are going to have to improve on 3rd Down defense and create turnovers, which they were unable to do against Texas Tech. It's critical for this defense to give its struggling offense alot of short fields, and 3 and outs plus turnovers would give the offense the opportunity to score more points and build confidence.

Finally, shame on us as fans for getting WAY too far ahead of ourselves. I want Nebraska to return to the glory days of conference championships and national championships as much as anyone. But, finally beating a top 25 team on the road doesn't mean that all of the sudden we are a top 5 team, and can just show up every week and win. This program is going in the right direction, and it's irrational to think that setbacks will not occur from time to time. We as fans need to recognize that we're still on this journey, and not at the destination yet. Booing the team at halftime was something I would expect from a less knowledgeable and fair-weather fanbase than our's. We as fans can have an impact on this program, and providing encouragement, rather than criticism to a bunch of 18-22 year olds would be a better way to motivate these kids to compete harder and bring home a victory.

Let's all embrace this journey and support our players and coaches...it will feel all the better when NU finally does climb back to the top of the college football mountain!!!!!

GO BIG RED!

This really isn't that complicated. We need a quarterback like a baseball team needs a pitcher.

You can have all of the skill players you want - hitters, shortshop, 1st base, center fielder - but if you don't have a pitcher, everyone else looks bad.

Nebraska has a guy starting at QB that likely wouldn't even be starting at the better Division II programs around the country. His accuracy is so woeful, it's painful to watch.

Is Cody Green better? Dunno, but it's hard to conceive that he would be worse.

Time will tell.

It's not even so much about losing what they had last year, he's lost almost everything he had this year too.

Since the spring we've lost two QB's (one quit like a baby and the other broke his leg) and we lost one of the key pieces in this transition when Q decided to be an idiot.. Then we lost the guy that actually looked dang good in being Q's replacement just this week to injury.

And Helu looks good at times but it's clear something isn't quite right with him.

Considering we knew coming into the season that we had a new QB and a bunch of untested wideouts those losses really, really kinda hurt.

The big shock to me is that McNeil has become almost a non factor. He barely gets involved in the offense and as soon as he does he goes right off the field each time. Not sure what to make of that.

Factor all that in and it kinda makes sense we're in complete offensive limbo.

This really isn't that complicated. We need a quarterback like a baseball team needs a pitcher.

You can have all of the skill players you want - hitters, shortshop, 1st base, center fielder - but if you don't have a pitcher, everyone else looks bad.

Nebraska has a guy starting at QB that likely wouldn't even be starting at the better Division II programs around the country. His accuracy is so woeful, it's painful to watch.

Time will tell.

Funny you should say that, since our O-line looks like a baseball team.

Time will tell.

Funny you should say that, since our O-line looks like a baseball team.

Who on first. chuckleshuffle

We have a lack of talent all around on offense it seems to me. Helu being the only real exception.

Our Wide receivers are average at best. Watch a day of college football, and watch the catches, and moves WRs make all around the country every Saturday. We dont see that here.

The O-line seams incapable of blowing anyone off the ball. Maybe its coaching, Iowa always seems to have a solid O-line, and a its not a team loaded with 5 stars.

Lee is a backup. Green looks like he might have the physical tools, but who knows if he has the 'it' factor that really makes a QB.

And we have seen that after Helu and Burkhead, we don't have much at RB.

I'm not sure what we need to do to get better players there, or if its simply bad coaching from Gilmore and Beck(though I doubt it with Beck as he seemed to be able to make something from nothing at KU)

Let's look at things the way they stand right now. Yes, Nebraska lost today with a terribly disappointing effort. However, as you can see with tonight's loss by Kansas, the Big 12 North is full of flawed teams, each with at least 1 loss. Winning the North Division is just as likely to happen tomorrow, as it was before today's game....

Let's be totally honest here..Nebraska is not a dominant team yet. Yes, we saw a glimmer of briliance for 1 quarter in the Mizzou game, and all of the sudden the fans, the media, and most likely the team, all got a little full of themselves and started buying the hype. Today, unfortunately, you saw a team fall back to Earth and demonstrate that they are still a work in progress. Can we really ask for more from a program that is full of young players (and a coaching staff), who have not enjoyed major success as a team yet?

Offensively, NU is a mess right now. But, weren't we saying the same thing after 6 games last season? There is no doubt that NU has not been able to sustain the momentum that the offense built last year, and losing Ganz, Swift and Peterson has proved to be huge losses. Shawn Watson has not all of the sudden become a dummy....he deserves a little bit of a break due to the fact that he does not have the weapons that he had last year. We could have the greatest OC in the world, but if that OC had to utilize the inexperienced and injured group that Watson currently has to work with, I think anyone would struggle finding consistency. It's time for Watson to find out which players he can go to war with at every position on offense, and build from that group. Based on Watson's track record, there's no doubt that the offense will improve as the season wears on. Nebraska simply does not have the experience and the depth to simply reload from season to season, and have a dominant offense. If there's one positive to look forward to, it's the fact that lots of young skill players are getting experience this season, so the offense should hit the ground running better next season.

Defensively, NU is much better than where we were last season. There's no doubt that the defense will have to be great from here on out for NU to win the North. In order to do this, the Blackshirts are going to have to improve on 3rd Down defense and create turnovers, which they were unable to do against Texas Tech. It's critical for this defense to give its struggling offense alot of short fields, and 3 and outs plus turnovers would give the offense the opportunity to score more points and build confidence.

Finally, shame on us as fans for getting WAY too far ahead of ourselves. I want Nebraska to return to the glory days of conference championships and national championships as much as anyone. But, finally beating a top 25 team on the road doesn't mean that all of the sudden we are a top 5 team, and can just show up every week and win. This program is going in the right direction, and it's irrational to think that setbacks will not occur from time to time. We as fans need to recognize that we're still on this journey, and not at the destination yet. Booing the team at halftime was something I would expect from a less knowledgeable and fair-weather fanbase than our's. We as fans can have an impact on this program, and providing encouragement, rather than criticism to a bunch of 18-22 year olds would be a better way to motivate these kids to compete harder and bring home a victory.

Let's all embrace this journey and support our players and coaches...it will feel all the better when NU finally does climb back to the top of the college football mountain!!!!!

GO BIG RED! Frank Solich is a better head coach than Pelini !!!

I don't think Zac Lee's real problem is his accuracy. It is his indeciciveness and constant checkdowns when more yards are needed. Zac rarely steps into the pocket and makes a pass. He scrambles way too early and, unlike Ganz last year, he just isn't able to make plays on the move. He reminds me a lot of Sam Keller with being afraid to go down field. Would starting Cody Green do more harm than good? It is hard to say, as he did have a turnover today and Zac did not. I think if we're going to make a change, this week is as good as any. It's time to have the QB under center a bit more as well. Our o-line did so much better in our last TD drive against Missouri when they were able to be more agressive because of the playcalling.

GO BIG RED!

Well, I can't top that, so, thank you for the very level headed post. I am already feeling better, GO BIG RED!!!

We have a lack of talent all around on offense it seems to me. Helu being the only real exception.

Our Wide receivers are average at best. Watch a day of college football, and watch the catches, and moves WRs make all around the country every Saturday. We dont see that here.

The O-line seams incapable of blowing anyone off the ball. Maybe its coaching, Iowa always seems to have a solid O-line, and a its not a team loaded with 5 stars.

Lee is a backup. Green looks like he might have the physical tools, but who knows if he has the 'it' factor that really makes a QB.

I'm not sure what we need to do to get better players there, or if its simply bad coaching from Gilmore and Beck(though I doubt it with Beck as he seemed to be able to make something from nothing at KU)

Completely agree. We have no gamebreaker. Nobody possess that breakaway speed. Its frustrating when somebody gets loose and can't seal the deal because they are too slow. speed kills and we don't have it.

Completely agree. We have no gamebreaker. Nobody possess that breakaway speed. Its frustrating when somebody gets loose and can't seal the deal because they are too slow. speed kills and we don't have it.

At this point, I don't necessarily care about speed. I would just like someone who runs crisp routes, can get open, and can consistently catch the ball.

Every program on the rise is going to have setbacks, but Nebraska unfortunately demonstrates the kind that can be absolutely fatal. Our line play is horrid so we can't run. Our (former?) starter is completely incapable of handling himself in the pocket or on the run, and his receivers drop more balls than a professional marbles champion. When you have poor QB play and a line that can't run block to save their lives, the clouds get pretty dark pretty quick.

I think we'll see improvement. But Bo is going to have to tell everyone on the offensive staff in no uncertain terms that jobs are on the line if this team doesn't start playing mean and physical and getting some yards on the ground. And the penalties have just got to stop. Today. How many other teams get to the five yard line only to routinely back themselves up to the thirty?