Ever since the westcoast offense was implemented in Nebraska..

Has there ever been anything good that came out of the bubble screen passes?? The lateral pass.

I don't think that we have ever had the atheletes to make this work. In fact, the only team that uses this play effectively, that I have seen is USC.

I hate this play. I hate this playbook.

It doesn't help when the qb throws it behind them every time. But yeah, that play sucks. I think the only time I saw something exciting happen off that play was when OU's DB jumped that route last year and took it for a pick 6. I wish we ran an offense similar to Florida and went for dual-threat QBs. Sure, we would have some ups and downs, but in the end I think it would be more consistent as far as producing yards and points. Even if we could use up some clock to let the defense rest it would be helpful, particularly since we barely rotate anyone in on our D-line.

THANK GOD! Somebody finally brought this up. I was afraid to at first––thought there was some taboo, or everyone knew something I didn't. But now I'm out with it. Prepare yourselves.

I f*cking hate the lateral screen. Against the Sun Belt teams you could run the fake punt every play and still score fifty. But against real teams that rinky-dinky sh#t is absolutely useless. It's a high risk play with minimal payout. When since Callahan took over and installed our skirt-wearing offense has one of those plays gone for a touchdown? Has it ever happened? Probably not, but I can distinctly remember two times that those useless passes have gone the other way for six, one of which happened yesterday.

Even in NCAA football on Xbox I don't run that play. Why? Because it's usually a guaranteed 5 yard loss, and that's with a team three deep at five stars in every position.

What's even more unbearable than the inevitable yard lossage is the simple fact that Lee can't complete it. They're behind, in front, high, low––anywhere but the bread basket. One would think the O-coordinator would nix the play for this reason alone. "Quarterback can't complete this simple pass? Very well. I shall place a fat red X next to this one." Shovel pass, middle screen––all fine. But throwing behind the line of scrimmage with our slow and wooden-handed receivers is an exercise in futility. Lee might as well throw a hand grenade instead; it couldn't do any more damage than the football.

I hate the lateral screens. I hate them when the work. I hate them when they fail. Up with them I will not put!

Watson is so afraid of admitting he is running a true bill Callahan West Coast offense he disclaims it.

And notice, he calls it multiple!

We are so multiple!

Except, when we get out of the Sun Coast, then not so much! :wtf

Yeah. Multiple. Multiple ways of not gaining yards, missing receivers, dropping passes. Anything but pounding the rock.

USC is in a prospect rich environment, unlike Nebraska. I think scheme is that much more important at a place like NU because you will not consistently get top 5 recruiting classes like a Texas or SC. Making players go from the coast to a school that is "in the middle of nowhere" is really tough. The vast majority of players on GT are from nearby the Atlanta area and that is not a coincidence. Nearby Lincoln does not have but a couple D1 football players per year.

USC is in a prospect rich environment, unlike Nebraska. I think scheme is that much more important at a place like NU because you will not consistently get top 5 recruiting classes like a Texas or SC. Making players go from the coast to a school that is "in the middle of nowhere" is really tough. The vast majority of players on GT are from nearby the Atlanta area and that is not a coincidence. Nearby Lincoln does not have but a couple D1 football players per year.

I was think a little bit more about this. Maybe USC runs the lateral screen pass well because they just have the atheletes.

Or................................

They are less unpredictable with the play calling. <_<

^ appropriate username.

Well, I guess it wasn't so clear the other years when our O was clicking like jello.

Don't you miss the days when, whenever we got down a couple scores, there was NO WAY we were going to come back because our offense didn't have that quick strike, 2 minute ability? Man, let's throw away that deadly 2 minute offense we've developed in recent years.

^ appropriate username.

Well, I guess it wasn't so clear the other years when our O was clicking like jello.

Don't you miss the days when, whenever we got down a couple scores, there was NO WAY we were going to come back because our offense didn't have that quick strike, 2 minute ability? Man, let's throw away that deadly 2 minute offense we've developed in recent years.

:wtf does this mean????

I'm kinda confused....

We've read time and time again that our version of the WC wasn't the problem. The problem has been the defense. The offense has always been able to put up points. We can score with the best of them. All we need is the offense to CONTINUE WHAT IT'S DONE (hence, run this same WC scheme) and get Bo to revamp the defense and we'll be a top 10 team again. So how is it after 6 years it's not working? Maybe after 3 of the 6 games this year it isn't working? People need to stop freaking out like the end of the world is coming. Yes, this week sucked. We flat out were terrible. But a ton of people are completely backtracking over their previous statements for the past 2 years about the offense. How was the offense great then but absolutely brutal now? Oh.. because we had a sh!tty week.... It can't go both ways.. Maybe you mean what you mean now, and were just bs'ing and hoping back then, I don't know... but it doesnt make too much sense to me.

THANK GOD! Somebody finally brought this up. I was afraid to at first––thought there was some taboo, or everyone knew something I didn't. But now I'm out with it. Prepare yourselves.

I f*cking hate the lateral screen. Against the Sun Belt teams you could run the fake punt every play and still score fifty. But against real teams that rinky-dinky sh#t is absolutely useless. It's a high risk play with minimal payout. When since Callahan took over and installed our skirt-wearing offense has one of those plays gone for a touchdown? Has it ever happened? Probably not, but I can distinctly remember two times that those useless passes have gone the other way for six, one of which happened yesterday.

Even in NCAA football on Xbox I don't run that play. Why? Because it's usually a guaranteed 5 yard loss, and that's with a team three deep at five stars in every position.

What's even more unbearable than the inevitable yard lossage is the simple fact that Lee can't complete it. They're behind, in front, high, low––anywhere but the bread basket. One would think the O-coordinator would nix the play for this reason alone. "Quarterback can't complete this simple pass? Very well. I shall place a fat red X next to this one." Shovel pass, middle screen––all fine. But throwing behind the line of scrimmage with our slow and wooden-handed receivers is an exercise in futility. Lee might as well throw a hand grenade instead; it couldn't do any more damage than the football.

I hate the lateral screens. I hate them when the work. I hate them when they fail. Up with them I will not put!

I'm with you! I'm so tired of seeing play after play run from sideline to sideline. So many of our plays go towards the sideline that I find myself wondering if were actually allowed to run plays that go towards the endzone. I'm not going to put this completely on Watson because I do believe that many times Lee just doesn't make the right reads and the O-line isn't always holding up their end of the bargain, but for crying out loud how about designing a play that goes forward rather than side to side.