Spread offense is a HOAX!!!!

NPhusker

I read something a few days ago (cant remember where i read it) that has really stuck with me.

All this spread offense that is all over college football is just a fad that has come and will go by the way side sometime, probably soon. You can watch the proof of this every sunday on tv.

You dont see the slightess bit of spread offense in the NFL on sundays. This tells me that if you have the right game plan and the right athletes then this offense will not be successful.

Its just a matter of time until someone comes up with a scheme to stop these spread offenses that are putting up video game like numbers every saturday.

so what does everyone think........is the spread here to stay? should Nebraska continue to run this west coast/spread offense? what offense should we run?

If it isn't broken why fix it?

Spread offense is pretty speed oriented. When facing a fast defense, the spread is naturally neutralized. That doesn't work in the NFL. Everyone is fast, regardless of position.

Its virtually unstoppable when ran correctly at a college or lower level. Colleges like USC and Texas, and lately Nebraska, can beat it with talent, determination, and scheming for the specific form of spread which is being run.

Watch Division 2 Football or High Level High School ball, you'll notice the best teams in the nation are the ones no longer running Power I and Option, but Spread offenses, and utilizing whatever speed they have available at skill positions. This transfers well to the College game.

Eventually it may be stopped. Other offenses work, other offenses can be ran, but the spread is dominant because it is so versatile. All you need is some speed at receiver and halfback (easy to get), and you're golden. Your QB can be a slug and you still win games.

Saints, Patriots, and Cardinals.

Three teams that have a lot of shotgun formations and use the spread heavily.

And if you think it doesn't work in the NFL, look at the score of the Patriots game from Sunday.

Now, Texas Tech's offense won't transition well into the NFL, because in the NFL you HAVE to run the football and run it effectively in order to win a Super Bowl.

Saying there isn't a bit of it in the NFL is a bit of a farse.

I think by this point, the term "spread" has become pretty meaningless. Texas Tech's spread offense is very different from West Virginia's, and both are a lot different than what Florida is running. You know what Paul Johnson calls his flexbone option offense at Georgia Tech? Yup, it's the spread. All of these teams have vast differences in their offensive playbooks, yet they are all said to be running "The Spread Offense."

The bottom line is, with all the parity in the FBS, and all the big programs having much better strength programs than they did 15-20 years ago, there's no way you can line up in the I-Tight and bully the defense for 6-7 yards a pop. You have to spread them out.

With defenses becoming smaller and faster, I wouldn't be entirely surprised, in the next few years, to see teams try to take advantage of this and play a more power oriented offense.

There will always be a natural ebb and flow to the strategy of the game. Right now it just happens to be the spread, but I would not say it is a hoax, many a team has been very successful running it.

With defenses becoming smaller and faster, I wouldn't be entirely surprised, in the next few years, to see teams try to take advantage of this and play a more power oriented offense.

There will always be a natural ebb and flow to the strategy of the game. Right now it just happens to be the spread, but I would not say it is a hoax, many a team has been very successful running it.

Exactly!! :clap

"Now" is when a return of TO as the OC would be terrific for us!! "Nobody" is recruiting and developing defenses to stop smashmouth power/option.

I think by this point, the term "spread" has become pretty meaningless. Texas Tech's spread offense is very different from West Virginia's, and both are a lot different than what Florida is running. You know what Paul Johnson calls his flexbone option offense at Georgia Tech? Yup, it's the spread. All of these teams have vast differences in their offensive playbooks, yet they are all said to be running "The Spread Offense."

The bottom line is, with all the parity in the FBS, and all the big programs having much better strength programs than they did 15-20 years ago, there's no way you can line up in the I-Tight and bully the defense for 6-7 yards a pop. You have to spread them out.

I must agree with you there bud

Watch Division 2 Football or High Level High School ball, you'll notice the best teams in the nation are the ones no longer running Power I and Option, but Spread offenses, and utilizing whatever speed they have available at skill positions. This transfers well to the College game.

Most of the High School Teams in the Top 100 are still running the Wing T.