Some Food For Thought

NPhusker

Here some things to think about:

Some people need to take a step back and look at the Texas Tech game, it was not as bad as you might think.

Stats from the Texas Tech game:

- Total offense- NU-285 vs. TT-259 (that is the fewest yards Tech has gained IN 3 YEARS)

- 3rd down conversions- NU-6/15 vs. TT-6/14

- sacks- NU-5 for -42 yards vs TT-5 for -22 yards

Why did we lose?

-Turnovers- NU-2 (1 returned for a touchdown) vs. TT-0

-Redzone scoring- NU-2/5 vs. TT 4/4

-Penalties- NU-12 for 95 yards vs. TT-4 for 40 yards

So if you take a closer look at the game, our defense played very good, and our offense was not as bad as first thought. We can NOT turn the ball over especially in the red zone and we need to take advantage of our chances in the redzone and score everytime.

You can somewhat put those penalties on the coaches but if you are calling for Watson or Pelini's heads anwser me this: Do you really think Pelini is gonna just accept those penalties, I have complete faith in the coaches to correct those mental mistakes.

Little more food for thought:

We were two plays from having a chance to tie this game. Now i am not the kind of person who thinks 1 or 2 plays determine a game. However if Niles Paul catches that ball or someone just tackles that guy who picked up that fumble that makes the final score 24-10.

Then if Curenski Gilleylen catches that tipped pass from Cody Green that litterally hit him in the numbers, Gilleylen cruises to a TD and that makes the final score 24-17

That would completely change the game, instead of just putting Green in and having him throw every down, we could have run the ball. Maybe instead of ending that one drive with an INT, we score the tying touchdown.

I realize that if this senario did play out, TT would have completely changed their game plan and things would have been different, but this is just a few things to think about for all these people in panic mode

I was thinking the same thing. If Paul catches that and we don't gain another yard we at least more than likely get another field goal making the score 24-13. If Prince tackles that guy before the end of the half they more than likely don't get that field goal which makes the score 21-13. The first possession of the game we had two chances to knock the ball down on 4th and 20 plays and didn't do it which led to a td. We get off the field there and the score is 14-13. We had one possession where it was like 2nd and goal from the 4 and we ended up not getting any points which at worst case scenario its 16-14 with a fg. There was also another possession where Green threw his pick from about the 15 yard line which could have led to another score, lets say 19-14. This is just if we cut out the mistakes that we had and not even put a drive together on offense. There were a number of other times in the third quarter especially where our offense had the ball at mid field and sputtered. No doubt we had a hell of a lot of mistakes, but good teams don't make them and we did. The better team THAT DAY won, but I absolutely think we win 9 out of 10 times.

The fact of the matter is we did not play to our potential on Offense which cost us a chance to win the game. We can look for ways to sugar coat it but until we control the ball and stop making stupid penalties we will continue to struggle to win. I belive we will get this turned around and if that means sitting some starters then so be it. Bo and company need to get the attention of this team in a hurry.

And if Terrance Nunn would have held on to that ball against Texas in '06, we would have won! dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

If, If's were fifths, we'd all be drunk! :wacko:

You are exactly right....... If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it would be christmas everyday.

At the end of the day we didnt make those plays and Tech did, so we lost, and we deserved to lose. The point of this thread was to tell those panic attacked fans to take it easy.

The fallacy in all those stats is the fact that Nebraska has one of the better defenses out there while TT not so much. Our D played well enough, but our O against a not great D is what killed us. If someone has enough time on their hands, when was the last time we had under 300 yards offense and won the game?

First of all i am in complete agreement, our offense did not perform against a very suspect defense and they should get some heat for it. We should have some very upset coaches and some upset fans. What we dont need are people calling for Pelini and Watson to be fired.

So we lost a game we could have won, its not the end of the world. We can still win the North and have a chance to win the Big 12, its not that big of a loss

and by the way the last time we won a game with under 300 yards of offense...... two weeks ago at Missouri

The stats are what kills me.

It's a game that we had in our grasp, but due to penalties, drops & poor decisions, we lost.

We've held three BCS teams to UNDER 300 yards on offense. We SHOULD be winning all of those games. But we repeatedly shoot ourselves in the foot.

The defense this year is amazing, considering what the past few years have looked like. It just plain sucks to hold TT to 259 yards, yet lose by 3 touchdowns.

My post was more along the lines of everyone freaking out about things...Wats, Pelini, Lee (probably with good reason for Lee), and I just wanted to point out that if we just cut out very correctable mistakes we win. It may not have been a very pretty win, but neither was Mizzou and Va Tech wouldn't have been pretty had we won. We for some reason are still trying to get more physical with our run blocking and still searching for a playmaker at WR. We are just fine, everyone needs to chill out as far as calling for Wats or Bo's head.

My post was more along the lines of everyone freaking out about things...Wats, Pelini, Lee (probably with good reason for Lee), and I just wanted to point out that if we just cut out very correctable mistakes we win. It may not have been a very pretty win, but neither was Mizzou and Va Tech wouldn't have been pretty had we won. We for some reason are still trying to get more physical with our run blocking and still searching for a playmaker at WR. We are just fine, everyone needs to chill out as far as calling for Wats or Bo's head.

Thats exactly why i put this out there, people need to take it easy. Almost all of our mistakes are correctable. We deserved to lose the Tech game, thats for sure, but everything is not falling apart like it did in '07 under Cally