Some Food For Thought

NPhusker

I wonder what our winning percentage over the past 20 years has been when held under 300 yards?

Probably not very good, I only put these stats up to say is the final score was not a great indication of the game. Perform simple, fundamental tasks and NU is in this game in the end.

The stats are what kills me.

It's a game that we had in our grasp, but due to penalties, drops & poor decisions, we lost.

We've held three BCS teams to UNDER 300 yards on offense. We SHOULD be winning all of those games. But we repeatedly shoot ourselves in the foot.

The defense this year is amazing, considering what the past few years have looked like. It just plain sucks to hold TT to 259 yards, yet lose by 3 touchdowns.

Completely agree. Holding Texas Tech to 24 points and 250 yards should be an automatic win for the opponent. Historically, holding them to anything under 30 is a win for whoever they play. The defense is leaps and bounds over where it finished 2007, where it started last year and it just builds and builds. If the defense can keep this up, the Huskers have a chance to win against any opponent in the nation on any day. If the offense can just be competent and find something that it can lean on, this team will be fine. The offense doesn't even need to be potent, just competent. I think this can be achieved. Hopefully the meltdown we saw last saturday was the tipping point.

It's a game that we had in our grasp, but due to penalties, drops & poor decisions, we lost.

We've held three BCS teams to UNDER 300 yards on offense. We SHOULD be winning all of those games. But we repeatedly shoot ourselves in the foot.

The defense this year is amazing, considering what the past few years have looked like. It just plain sucks to hold TT to 259 yards, yet lose by 3 touchdowns.

Completely agree. Holding Texas Tech to 24 points and 250 yards should be an automatic win for the opponent. Historically, holding them to anything under 30 is a win for whoever they play. The defense is leaps and bounds over where it finished 2007, where it started last year and it just builds and builds. If the defense can keep this up, the Huskers have a chance to win against any opponent in the nation on any day. If the offense can just be competent and find something that it can lean on, this team will be fine. The offense doesn't even need to be potent, just competent. I think this can be achieved. Hopefully the meltdown we saw last saturday was the tipping point.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded part.

We just need to be consistent and help the defense.

It's amazing to me that 2 years removed from the 2007 season, we now have a lot of confidence in the defense and little in the offense.

We've all seen how good Watson's offense can be when it is executed the right way. He just needs to put in these players heads that it doesn't matter who you are playing or what the name is on the side of their helmet, you just have to execute. Hell, pretend they are a Sun Belt team if it will make you play better <_<

Couldn't agree more with the bolded part.

We just need to be consistent and help the defense.

It's amazing to me that 2 years removed from the 2007 season, we now have a lot of confidence in the defense and little in the offense.

We've all seen how good Watson's offense can be when it is executed the right way. He just needs to put in these players heads that it doesn't matter who you are playing or what the name is on the side of their helmet, you just have to execute. Hell, pretend they are a Sun Belt team if it will make you play better <_<

Yeah I have had the same thought all day today, when I look at it it seems like 2009 is a reverse mirror of 2008. 2008 we saw a mediocre to average Defense, middle of the pack if you will, and a Top 15 Offense. This year we are seeing a Top 15 Defense by all accounts and a middle of the pack offense statistically speaking. The thoughts mid-season last year standing at 3-3 were if the Defense could be that bend but don't break defense they could win a lot of games. This year they are 4-2 and the thought is if the Offense could just be a bit more effective and cut out the mistakes the Defensive Proficiency would allow this team to win a whole lot of games in the second half.

The fallacy in all those stats is the fact that Nebraska has one of the better defenses out there while TT not so much. Our D played well enough, but our O against a not great D is what killed us. If someone has enough time on their hands, when was the last time we had under 300 yards offense and won the game?

Uh, Last week against Mizzou..................263 total yards, 158 passing, 105 rushing.

Before that monsoon debacle though, you have to go all the way back to 2004 where the Huskers won two games with under 300 yards. Pitt with 267 total yards and Wake Forrest the week before that with a whopping 234 yards. Both wins being without a doubt some of the ugliest in Husker history!

Ya in that sense I can see why people are so frustrated. It seems like forever that our line hasn't been blowing people off the ball. I really think this comes back to the o line a bit. If we would have been able to run the ball in the first half effectively Lee would have never been put in the position that he was in. Lee did have a damn bad game, but like Bo has been saying it's not all on him.