Good explanation of QB situation

Also from Sip, in a blog post. I just vomited in my mouth a little bit.

* Bo Pelini said it was an easy decision to start Zac Lee over freshman Cody Green. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said the coaches never considered inserting Green into Saturday's game.

"Lee managed a great game, guys," Watson said. "I'm just telling you, he was perfect."

Perfect? Really?

"As far as getting us in the right plays and doing the things we asked him to do in this game plan, he did a really nice job," Watson said.

That said, the QB issue obviously isn't going away.

Ok, to quote another BAD coach we had not so long ago, "we are doing excellent in every phase of the game." Or something like that. I asked this question in another thread, could some coaches heads be buried in the sand? The article quoted Watson as saying Green is gaining a lot of ground on Lee?

Here are the facts. Had the receievers caught all catchable balls and Paul would have hung on the TD he was running for NU would have won. Lee played really well, not perfect, but really well. THIS LOSS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH LEE.

I was merely pointing out Watson's statement, but, to say that a QB played perfect (or even well), when he fumbled twice and threw 3 picks (granted we got both fumbles back) is a joke.

Lee didn't play perfect. But he cannot be tagged for this loss. Two of his picks easily should have been caught. Mental and physical toughness prevented them, and several others, from being caught.

He can still be tagged as a reason for why we lost. Yes, two of his picks were catchable balls, but the second of the two was way overthrown (still, if the receiver touches it, his responsibility to catch it, but Lee still should have thrown it better) and the third pick was just down right horrible. He didn't personally cost the game, but he's a reason we didn't win, as was every other reason. They culminated into one huge clusterf*ck.

Lee did nothing for us to win. As a QB you got to make plays. Of course you are going to play good and your stats will look good when you have 10-15 hitches and bubble screens. Any average college QB can do what Lee does.

Watson did a great job at hiding Lee's inability. He gave Lee all plays in which he could succeed. Problem is he can't throw across the middle when he needs to. When Watson tried to ask him to do that he put it at the feet or the receiver had to jump causing a tip ball. Lee is just not a D-I QB. Plain and simple.

Its miserable watching games with fans of other teams and Lee being the laughing stock of our team. "This is the only Qb you guys got?" Its not just husker fans that think Green needs a shot.. its everybody

Lee did nothing for us to win. As a QB you got to make plays. Of course you are going to play good and your stats will look good when you have 10-15 hitches and bubble screens. Any average college QB can do what Lee does.

Watson did a great job at hiding Lee's inability. He gave Lee all plays in which he could succeed. Problem is he can't throw across the middle when he needs to. When Watson tried to ask him to do that he put it at the feet or the receiver had to jump causing a tip ball. Lee is just not a D-I QB. Plain and simple.

Its miserable watching games with fans of other teams and Lee being the laughing stock of our team. "This is the only Qb you guys got?" Its not just husker fans that think Green needs a shot.. its everybody

It's true... stats are very limited in what they can show. One thing stats will never show is how many open receivers the QB fails to see.

Green will give us something that Zac can not and that is the ability to "break" a big run at any time. He will make mistakes and when he came in against TT he could have very well thrown 2 interceptions if the defense would have caught the ball.

It is not my job but I do think that we are at a time we need to try and make a change. I just hope it is more successful than the change we were promised in the "election" :sarcasm

Heres a stat and the only one that matters, how many tds did lee produce in the last 2 games? NONE. Cody Green in the last 2 games? Keep in mind he only played in 1 of the last 2, he scored 1 with a good pass.

Exactly... On Green's td he led the receiver and threw him open. I have yet to see a play were Lee has thrown a receiver open. Lee has only thrown to an open receiver.

I have to laugh at Sip, and I don't agree with what he has had to say about this. Pelini is the one, with Watson, that is grading these guys in practice. I don't think Pelini would play Lee over Green if he really though Green was better.

Sipple is just another fan, with a pen, and access to the team. As a fan, like us, he has his opinions - which are not always right. Just because he gets to publish his in the paper does not automatically make him an authority any more than any other fan. If he is so great at judging talent, let him get a job as a HC or OC on some team, rather than just writing about what other people should do after the fact.

The media sees as much practice as you and I do. Sipple isn't a fan as much as he is guy who is hired to write articles for people to read. He is as much a fan as is Shatel. The only difference is Shatel is really good at his job where Sipple isn't.

Well, whatever they see in practice, I pray to GOD, isn't what we see in games.

Heres a stat and the only one that matters, how many tds did lee produce in the last 2 games? NONE. Cody Green in the last 2 games? Keep in mind he only played in 1 of the last 2, he scored 1 with a good pass.

I fully agree, infact I'll go even further... in the game he threw the TD, he was the only one to throw a ball in the endzone that even had a chance to be caught. The confidence is gone, I don't think the team has that winning feeling about them at this point. That is a huge problem to have!

Lee definitely did not lose the game, but his pussyfooting did very little to help us win.

Start Green. We aren't going anywhere this season with this offense "as is", so why not try something different?

Of course, I'm sure we will see the same old sh#t next week: Lee comes out, makes a few passes, misses some wide open receivers. Our D keeps us in the game, but once again our offense fails to do anything and we lose the game.

We don't want to put Green in 'cause it's obvious things are working so well right now on offense we don't want to disturb them. And Zac Lee is so awesome at the two minute drill...no wonder why he is in there <_<

Nobody is pinning this or any other loss or win on Lee. But as far as the losses go, he is also a PART of the problem. He may not be losing us games but he damn sure isn't winning them for us either. I see no leadership from him at all.

:yeah

That's what is missing, you hit right on the head. All the great teams we have had, had a great leader that the rest of the players believed in, they didn't always to like him, but they trusted their leadership. Lee doesn't have it, even when he makes a good play, the team doesn't seem to get any more excited then they were before the play. Does Cody have that kind of leadership, that unites and fires up a team????

I don't have any reason to think he does, but I do. Got to give Cody that chance, to maybe be that guy.

GBR!!!

We better have Green ready to go this week. In looking back at the game, the coaches were likely thinking our defense was going to hold ISU down without their QB and RB (like we did) and we should have enough to put up another TD and FG and win it like 17-9...there was no reason to think we could not have done that (and I am sure Bo was confident Watson could do this)...so I am thinking they were reluctant to bring Green in when they figured Lee would be able to do the job easily...as we know the crazy turnovers in the red zone killed us. I don't think the coaches realized the dire situation until it was too late...we were winning or losing with Lee. I wanted to see Green but to bring him in late in the 4th would have been a lot to ask.

The above being said, Lee has had 16 quarters vs. BCS teams and other than 4th qtr against Mizzou, has done nothing. Green has to play against Baylor. Give him the chance...if he doesn't do well then we still have Lee. We must find out if Green can spark and lead the offense and give it another dimension with his legs and strong arm. Heck, maybe we find out we go with rotation depending on opponent match-ups...but do something!!!