That kid...

Just a weird thought that I had driving today. I am from central Nebraska and in my class in HS we had just one kid that lived and died OU football. He had absolutely no ties to the University or State. This boggled my mind. We claimed he got onto the band wagon when they were on their hot streak early 2000's, but he claimed he has always loved them. He was very hassled about it literally to where people would yell at him at the lunch table and to this day my friends and I still call him to make fun of a Sooner loss...

I guess I was just curious how many of you knew/know a blacksheep like this or is this an isolated incident?

I have a friend who absolutely loves the gators. he once got upset because their woman's gymnastics team lost. He says he believes he loves them because gators were his favorite animal as a kid and that started it. whatever, at least it is legitimate; although, a fortunate pick. and annoying as a husker football fan and bluejay basketball fan.

Just a weird thought that I had driving today. I am from central Nebraska and in my class in HS we had just one kid that lived and died OU football. He had absolutely no ties to the University or State. This boggled my mind. We claimed he got onto the band wagon when they were on their hot streak early 2000's, but he claimed he has always loved them. He was very hassled about it literally to where people would yell at him at the lunch table and to this day my friends and I still call him to make fun of a Sooner loss...

I guess I was just curious how many of you knew/know a blacksheep like this or is this an isolated incident?

In the church I grew up in, there was this younger guy who LOVED OU football. Again, no ties what so ever, I swear he did it because everyone else, including his family were Husker fans and he just had to be different. He drove us nuts, but it was fun. I'll never forget congratulating him on OU's hire of Stoops, he thought it was a bad move. :dumdum We moved here to Michigan not to long after that, I'll bet he changed his tune on Stoops after they won a NC his second year in coaching the Sooners.

I live in Minnesota and go to college in Minnesota but I grew up in Nebraska. My freshman year of college I found out that there was a kid from Elkhorn NE on my floor so I was pretty pumped to talk some husker football. Turns out he's a big Texas fan, he told me he likes Texas just because all his friends at home loved the huskers. I thought to my self, what friends? He must have been outcasted and hated by all of his "friends." Haven't talked to the kid since.

Yeah, I've lived in Lincoln all my life and I got my BA from UNL (I also did some grad studies classes there for a while too). I can't think of anyone around here brave enough to admit to liking the Sooners though. <_<

Unfortunately there have always been some punks that like the Kitties though. However, they have been pretty quiet the last four years. :lol:

I was/am that guy at UGA. Fraternity brothers at games would be so annoyed when Georgia would suck it up on some play and I would make some reference to Nebraska's dominance. For some reason, I'm foreseeing a UGA-Nebraska Independence Bowl...I could lose A LOT of friends over that game.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, both of my parents got their Bachelor's degrees at UNL and my grandmother still lives on her farm in Elkhorn.

I think it's natural for some people to resent the teams their parents followed, I have lots of friends like that.

My dad grew up in Chicago, he loves the Cubs. As a kid I would root for the Cardinals just to get him going, I even wore a Cardinals jersey into the bleachers at Wrigley once, he was not amused. I grew out of supporting the Cardinals pretty quick now, and hate them now that I am stuck in their territory. Guess that's a bit different though.

I get the same thing around here for not liking MU, grew up in Lincoln, left when I was around 11 for Missouri. Lived in Missouri too long, but hate them with a passion still. Wear my Husker gear come good times or bad (haven't seen much MU gear around here lately), it drives my wife nuts, because every time I run across another NU fan, we always have to talk. She still doesn't understand, it's like a family.

I was/am that guy at UGA. Fraternity brothers at games would be so annoyed when Georgia would suck it up on some play and I would make some reference to Nebraska's dominance. For some reason, I'm foreseeing a UGA-Nebraska Independence Bowl...I could lose A LOT of friends over that game.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, both of my parents got their Bachelor's degrees at UNL and my grandmother still lives on her farm in Elkhorn.

Me to only I wednt to schools in kansas have no ties to the university grew up watching gthe teams of the 90's and was stuck on husker football

I am asked this same question in MN. Everyone assumes I went to college there or played football there (I WISH). They just cannot fathom why a kid from MN does not like the Gophers or Badgers.

My aunt lived in Omaha since I was born. The first present I received from her was something Husker related and I have been hooked since. My entire family are Husker fans and we almost always got the Husker game where I am from instead of the Little 11 games....man, that is about the only thing I miss about not being in my hometown.

I have a friend who absolutely loves the gators. he once got upset because their woman's gymnastics team lost. He says he believes he loves them because gators were his favorite animal as a kid and that started it. whatever, at least it is legitimate; although, a fortunate pick. and annoying as a husker football fan and bluejay basketball fan.

Man that drives me nuts.

Anyway, my wife has a friend who's a complete Texas fan. Her baby has a Texas crib and mobile, and his nursery is painted burnt orange. It's sickening. She always posts on her Facebook that she's sick of hearing about the Huskers. I told her to move then.

Man that drives me nuts.

Anyway, my wife has a friend who's a complete Texas fan. Her baby has a Texas crib and mobile, and his nursery is painted burnt orange. It's sickening. She always posts on her Facebook that she's sick of hearing about the Huskers. I told her to move then.

Why does that drive you nuts, your attitude drives me nuts. I was born and raised in Omaha and I would be a Creighton football fan if they had a team, they don’t. I do not see an issue with being a huskers football fan and bluejay basketball fan; they are different teams in different sports. It’s not like being a duke basketball fan and tarheel basketball fan.. I guess if I am a fan of the home team basketball team, I can't be a fan of a college football team. It's more like an Omahan being a Cubs fan and a Chiefs fan; which I imagine you would find acceptable.

Man that drives me nuts.

Why does that drive you nuts, your attitude drives me nuts. I was born and raised in Omaha and I would be a Creighton football fan if they had a team, they don’t. I do not see an issue with being a huskers football fan and bluejay basketball fan; they are different teams in different sports. It’s not like being a duke basketball fan and tarheel basketball fan.. I guess if I am a fan of the home team basketball team, I can't be a fan of a college football team. It's more like an Omahan being a Cubs fan and a Chiefs fan; which I imagine you would find acceptable.

I wasn't meaning you personally, just in general. I live in Central Nebraska, so it drives me nuts when someone from here is a Husker football fan, but as soon as football season is over, you wouldn't know they were a Husker fan, because they hop on the Creighton train. It just seems like bandwagon jumping to me. Growing up in Omaha makes it more acceptable. I was just saying it drove me nuts. Not that you need my approval anyway.

Man that drives me nuts.

I wasn't meaning you personally, just in general. I live in Central Nebraska, so it drives me nuts when someone from here is a Husker football fan, but as soon as football season is over, you wouldn't know they were a Husker fan, because they hop on the Creighton train. It just seems like bandwagon jumping to me. Growing up in Omaha makes it more acceptable. I was just saying it drove me nuts. Not that you need my approval anyway.

Pretty soon the Creighton bandwagon with be emptied and the Husker bandwagon will be filling up, but don't worry, I'll stay on the Creighton bandwagon. (Although, I do have respect for Doc Sadler and miss Barry Collier). We probably have very similar views on basketball bandwagonism in the state of Nebraska.