Starting QB this week

I find it interesting that they are still telling everyone that they haven't decided on a QB for this Saturday. For example...

Junior Zac Lee, who had started the first seven games, did not play a snap against Baylor. But Watson wasn’t about to take Tuesday’s session with reporters to announce anyone as a starter against Oklahoma.

“They have to earn it in practice this week,” the coach said, even leaving the door open that both quarterbacks could be called on.

“That’s not outside the realm of possibility,” Watson said. “We’ll see how this week goes in practice and what our best combination would be. And if that’s one, we’d consider that.”

However, Watson said this...

Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has usually viewed games from the press box. But on Saturday against Baylor, with Cody Green making his first start, he called the offense from the sideline so that he could be closer and directly communicate with Green.

Watson said that will continue this week. Green certainly won’t mind.

Does anyone else think that Watson said in a round about way that Cody will start Saturday? I understand wanting to make sure that they are always going to have their players compete for playing time but I would like them to committ to one QB, a Mr. Cody Green.

Yes, please just name the starter. Maybe Cody could grasp the playbook if Lee didn't feel that he would be giving up his "edge to starting" by helping him learn.

I know they say all the right things, but if you believe he isn't holding some stuff back because it is a competition, I don't know what to tell you.

Make a decision, stick with it, and at this point give that guy all the reps with the first team. I understand developing depth, but at this point, after what has happened, I would say the first team needs a hell of a lot or reps together in practice.

Just my $.02.

In all honesty, that fact that Cody was named starter last week should give you your answer this week. I don't think you start the kid this late in the season unless you are willing to ride his shoulders to the end of the road. Going by what the coaches have been saying about players having to beat each other out to earn PT, CG beat out Zac Lee last week. If he has really made that much progress since January, then he will definitely be starting Saturday.

Besides, given our lack of offensive prowess we need all the playmakers out there we can get. CG may not be the Matt Leinart of the college football field but he is still pretty solid and a good downhill runner. I'm 99.9% positive he is your starter on Saturday.

In all honesty, that fact that Cody was named starter last week should give you your answer this week. I don't think you start the kid this late in the season unless you are willing to ride his shoulders to the end of the road. Going by what the coaches have been saying about players having to beat each other out to earn PT, CG beat out Zac Lee last week. If he has really made that much progress since January, then he will definitely be starting Saturday.

Besides, given our lack of offensive prowess we need all the playmakers out there we can get. CG may not be the Matt Leinart of the college football field but he is still pretty solid and a good downhill runner. I'm 99.9% positive he is your starter on Saturday.

I agree 100%...

so give the kid all of the reps in practice. At this point, do you really think Zac needs half the snaps in practice to be a serviceable backup?

I don't understand this thinking, but I'm also not in practice everyday or a Division 1 football coach so I will leave it at I don't understand. Not that they are wrong.

It's entirely possible that with all the shuffling of young wide recievers and personnel that the coaching staff is still looking for some chemistry. I'm all in favor of Green being the guy right now. Just the only thing I can think of that makes any sense to not name him the starter. Sure wish they'd have just given Cody the start against ISU to prove himself.

I agree 100%...

so give the kid all of the reps in practice. At this point, do you really think Zac needs half the snaps in practice to be a serviceable backup?

I don't understand this thinking, but I'm also not in practice everyday or a Division 1 football coach so I will leave it at I don't understand. Not that they are wrong.

Unless Cody stunk it up so bad that they don't think they can continue with him yet.

He had some good plays, but we also scored zero points in the second half and he accounted for 7 of Baylor's points.

I agree with this and assume that Green will start, but the fact that Watson still hasn't officially named a starter is what makes me uneasy.

I agree 100%...

Bingo.

CG needs everything he can get right now. The kid will get better with practice reps and time on the field.

Is anybody else freaking PUMPED by the idea we might have the same starting quarterback for more than two years!? It's like the first time it has happened since Eric Crouch!! :ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

This seems to be another indication of the Head Coach not being experienced and looking at the big picture. If you are a high school coach you can say the things that Watson said. Every week you can claim that you don' t know who is going to start the next game yada yada yada. But the head coach of a major football team should realize that is another sign of chaos and indecision that has marked this team. It's like it's up for a vote and that there is a quick hook unless one of these guys looks like Tom Brady.

Well we tried it unsuccessfully with Lee. We tried Green last week and though the opposition was not great; we won. It would be prudent to just let it be known that Green is our QB and hope that each game he gets better. Or change back if you want. But don't act like you are clueless as to who to put on the field. It doesn't build up kids thinking about the competition, it just makes a HC look weak.

There are few teams that have two QBs that play that are successful. An experienced HC would nip it in the bud, make his decision and go with it.