Astounding Statistic

knapplc

Tell me if the stats lie  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah they have been holding our guys all year long and we haven't gotten the calls. The funny thing is they are calling it on our OLine though. I will see our guy get a holding penalty and then see the other team does the exact same thing and nothing. But I also think the other teams are really rolling out with the QB's or they do very quick passes which is very good for us. They have to gameplan against our DLine which takes a ton of pressure off the secondary. But really I think the officials do not give us many calls and it feels like they hate us or something. Maybe I am bias, but when they constantly miss obvious holds it sure does feel that way.

Yeah they have been holding our guys all year long and we haven't gotten the calls. The funny thing is they are calling it on our OLine though. I will see our guy get a holding penalty and then see the other team does the exact same thing and nothing. But I also think the other teams are really rolling out with the QB's or they do very quick passes which is very good for us. They have to gameplan against our DLine which takes a ton of pressure off the secondary. But really I think the officials do not give us many calls and it feels like they hate us or something. Maybe I am bias, but when they constantly miss obvious holds it sure does feel that way.

Our players just may not be as good as getting away with it as other teams are? :dunno

Our players just may not be as good as getting away with it as other teams are? :dunno

That is exactly what I was thinking too...should have put that in as well. Maybe coaching wise the other teams are being taught things that they can get away with? I mean it happens all the time.

Knappl....nice work and the proper conclusion...

the referree function has a deciding impact on games, your data prove it, even though most wont admit it.

folks will say all sorts of things to rationalize influence applied..or not applied as programs permit..but those folks, are just mouthpieces in service to self interest.

good work.....and true.

Dude, 3.4 sacks per game is a lot. If we keep up that pace, we're going to have over 30 sacks in conference play alone. That's ridiculous.

Keep in mind, CU and KU have awful pass protection.

That's true, 3.4 sacks per game is a lot, but if we should have had 5.2 sacks per game and we're being cheated out of nearly two sacks per game, isn't that a problem?

And no matter how you look at it, 90 pass attempts over two games with not one single hold called... that's an issue.

Dude, 3.4 sacks per game is a lot. If we keep up that pace, we're going to have over 30 sacks in conference play alone. That's ridiculous.

Keep in mind, CU and KU have awful pass protection.

That's true, 3.4 sacks per game is a lot, but if we should have had 5.2 sacks per game and we're being cheated out of nearly two sacks per game, isn't that a problem?

And no matter how you look at it, 90 pass attempts over two games with not one single hold called... that's an issue.

Not to mention that Texas Tech is NOTORIOUS for holding and playing dirty on the offensive line. Just look at the picture of Orakpo being TACKLED by Carter in last years game, where the hold didn't get called.

And... There was one play in the OU game where Crick straight up trucked the offensive lineman, and he was falling over and grabbed the front of cricks jersey. His jersey stretched out past his freaking knees... it literally looked like he was wearing a dress for a second and the o-lineman pulled him over on top of him. As expected... NO HOLDING CALL. It's ridiculous. The penalties we get called for are ridiculous. Like the "Block in the back" on the punt return saturday. There was no such penalty, but it was called. A phantom block in the back.

Someone at the game was mentioning that in North vs. South games, the calls go in favor of the south more often than the north. This makes me wonder, I wish I could find some stats on that to back it up. Anyone know where these could be found?

But I think everyone can agree that this year, the referees are on a whole different level of horrible than has been experienced before. It's outrageous.

There are a few reasons why we aren't piling up sacks.

1. DEs are the guys that get sacks. That's true universally. Look at the top ten sack leaders. One LB, one DT (Crick, because of the Baylor game), and all the rest DEs. Our DEs are solid, but not great. These guys are certainly no Grant Wistrom or Kyle Vanden Bosch, or even Zach Potter IMO. Our DTs are great, but they're still DTs, and are never going to consistently get the high sack numbers of great DEs.

2. Our opponents know the DTs are our strength, and try to gameplan around them. Look at how many rolling pocket plays OU did. Even the dumbest OC has to know Suh is going to be disrupting the middle, and plan accordingly.

3. Whether by design or Suh's improvisation, he has not rushed the QB on obvious passing downs (mostly 3rd and longs) and instead dropped into a QB spy/short zone. The INT of Gabbert is a notable example. Since obvious passing downs are the time when the D-linemen can pin their ears back and really get after the QB, having our best one removed from the rush is going to take down our sack chances. I'm not saying this is a bad move, as many times its worked out, but it isn't going to help our sack totals.

Just to add some fuel to the fire, I'll point out that the B12 South teams we faced got fewer holding calls against them. IMO the north vs south games in conference are often stilted towards the south's favor where penalties are concerned. I'd love to see a statistical breakdown of the north vs south holding calls the last couple years.