What do you want to see from the offense in the next 3 games?

carlfense

A 65-35 run-pass offense with no short passes or screens?

That sounds well reasoned.

65-35 run-pass? This year . . . absolutely. Our defense is world class. We probably only need to score 17 points a game to win the next 3. (that could be entirely wrong . . . just me speculating). Don't throw the defense into a hole by turning the ball over by slinging it all over the field. Give Helu/Robinson the ball and let them do their thing. If they don't score every drive . . . no big deal. Punt. Pin the other team deep and let the defense do their thing. It worked against the best team of our last 4. No reason it can't work again.

Edit: apparently our coaches are not well reasoned either . . . they ran 75% of the time against OU.

Oh, that was a great game plan for OU. But our offense is multiple and flexible and the gameplan can change from week to week. In the end I think it will even out.

We can't just simply become one dimensional and expect to do anything. Our RBs are already hurting and our O-line is not very good. We can't run Helu into the ground either. I can see the argument for a more conservative approach though. The 65-35 split wasn't my biggest concern but I do think that is tipping the scales.

But when you do pass, you're going to totally cut out short outs? Screens? ONLY playaction, rollout, and deep throws? I just don't see the logic in that. Where are the slants, hooks, corners, drags, crosses, etc, etc?

Was that a quote from Al Davis? :blink:

But when you do pass, you're going to totally cut out short outs? Screens? ONLY playaction, rollout, and deep throws? I just don't see the logic in that. Where are the slants, hooks, corners, drags, crosses, etc, etc?

Hence the "I don't actually know what I'm talking about" disclaimer at the beginning of the post.

However, Zac Lee has looked terrible on the slant . . . he loops the ball out there. Green has looked better . . . but sometimes he puts even more on it than needed.

The main point is that I am very tired of watching a piddling short passing game where the receiver is either moving laterally 5 yards downfield or standing still behind the line of scrimmage. Those routes haven't worked all year. I don't know if it's receiver, qb, or both . . . but if something doesn't work in the passing game . . . I'd quit trying to force it. (different for the run game . . . even if it doesn't work at first you have to keep pounding the ball.)

Not sure how you get any run game out of this offense unless Helu creates his own. And the pass game...I don't see the QB getting time to look down field, they are always taking the easy out, being a shuttle pass the the line of scrimmage or a pass out to the flat, which other teams have figured out to cover. The line has to block, bottom line, and they are not doing it. They are not opening holes so that the run game is a real threat, and on passes are getting pushed back into the QB or on their butts.

KU will key on Helu this week, it will be up to him to make it or break it. Hopefully we get lucky with a couple passes with broken coverage.

I want to see the Offense get up to the line with a purpose. I hate watching them slowly get the play in, slowly get to the line, casually check over the defense, then try to hurry up and call an audible. Have your play set up, and with very few exceptions don't audible, and go EXECUTE. And do it quickly.

That's about it.

Amen brother. It sounds simple yet we make it so hard.

I want to see the Offense get up to the line with a purpose. I hate watching them slowly get the play in, slowly get to the line, casually check over the defense, then try to hurry up and call an audible. Have your play set up, and with very few exceptions don't audible, and go EXECUTE. And do it quickly.

That's about it.

Amen brother. It sounds simple yet we make it so hard.

That would be nice except the philosophy of the coaches is the side that gets the last look wins. They want the players to see where the other teams players are (both on O and D) and then make the call to stay in formation or switch to another play/ call.

I agree that it would be nice if the players got to the line of scrimmage and just ran/ passed down the opponents throats. Unfortunately, NU isn't there yet.

Great Thread...Here's what I would like to see, not just to win games, but to win them with some sound improvement moving into our bowl game.

1. Running more power I, a la, against OU. Two TEs and full backs, maybe some motion from TEs or FBs to create unbalanced advantages.

2. From that, see some serious misdirection play action where we actually fake a handoff and move the pocket to create further advantages on the edge.

3. Instead of trying to force sprint option plays, just run some Damn toss sweep type plays from QB under center. Helu is great at finding little creases and running for 7-12 yds. This can also be accomplished by continuing out of the first two: unbalanced sets, motion, and misdirection

4. STRETCH the friggin field once in awhile 'just because'. It keeps the D honest and even sometimes produces big plays. Try it on 1st down or after a turnover.

5. Finally, I would like to see some more screens. I think the ONE thing Callaclown did was run some good screens. Again, it keeps the D-line honest cuz they can't rush upfield every play and can be a good 2nd or 3rd and long type field position play.

I don't think any of these suggestions are out of the athletic ability or are that much different from what our guys already do/know. I think our offense definetly needs upgrading, but as bad as we are, we can get better. It's not like I/we are asking for some complete overhaul this year or next, even. But damnit, just run some stuff that is easy to execute and doesn't ask anyone to try and do something they are not capable of.

Let me preface this with a disclaimer. Watson knows more about football than I ever will. I wish we had a different OC, but I'm not delusional about my own knowledge. Also . . . this isn't so much about what we have in the future . . . more just about what I want to see with the pieces we have to work with in 2009.

The carlfense offense

1. Power running game at least 50% of the time. Power sets, tight ends, fullback, 1 (2 at most) WR split out.

2. 20% of the time hit the tight ends on mid-length play action passes. (in my dream offense, McNeill NEVER leaves the field. Ever.)

3. 10% of the time use change-up runs: counters, traps, etc.

4. 10% of the time bootleg the QB (Lee or Green) out with a tight end and a receiver paralleling him.

5. 5% designed QB runs (only if Green is the QB).

6. 5% shots downfield to the WR's (Paul, Gilleylen, Cooper, etc.)

In particular there would be ZERO:

1. Horizontal passing game/bubble screen.

2. 5 yard out routes.

3. Speed option out of the shotgun.

4. Zac Lee trying to run either an option or a zone read.

5. Trying to turn Cody Green into a pocket passer.

Around 50 yards total offense in 1 game...

Let me preface this with a disclaimer. Watson knows more about football than I ever will. I wish we had a different OC, but I'm not delusional about my own knowledge. Also . . . this isn't so much about what we have in the future . . . more just about what I want to see with the pieces we have to work with in 2009.

The carlfense offense

1. Power running game at least 50% of the time. Power sets, tight ends, fullback, 1 (2 at most) WR split out.

2. 20% of the time hit the tight ends on mid-length play action passes. (in my dream offense, McNeill NEVER leaves the field. Ever.)

3. 10% of the time use change-up runs: counters, traps, etc.

4. 10% of the time bootleg the QB (Lee or Green) out with a tight end and a receiver paralleling him.

5. 5% designed QB runs (only if Green is the QB).

6. 5% shots downfield to the WR's (Paul, Gilleylen, Cooper, etc.)

In particular there would be ZERO:

1. Horizontal passing game/bubble screen.

2. 5 yard out routes.

3. Speed option out of the shotgun.

4. Zac Lee trying to run either an option or a zone read.

5. Trying to turn Cody Green into a pocket passer.

Around 50 yards total offense in 1 game...

Nah...we had more like 180 yards against OU. :)

What do I want to see from the offense?

Points.

Don't care how they get them.

What type of plays do you think give us the best chance of getting those points? Perhaps I should have chosen the title more carefully. I didn't realize that half of the replies would be some variation of "points,""wins," etc.

maybe it is time to run the I formation some more.....and i can't remember one play Hulu or anyone else, took a swing pass out of the backfield, and no i don't mean the gawd awful bubble screen either.

anything is better than a 3 and out....and they need to get McNeil and Paul involved, they can break big gainers.