The Nebraska Horseshoe in the locker room

BamaBeta

I was watching ESPN this morning before Gameday and notice the topic of "touching traditions". This was an interesting topic because I know many schools have some sort of tradition of football players touching something as they run onto the field. Alabama players rub a bronze bust of coach Bryant with his houndstooth hat before they run through the tunnel and onto the field. Anyways, the segment showed that Nebraska football players touch a horseshoe hanging above a door as they exit the locker room and go through the tunnel. I was just wondering the significance of this horseshoe since I was unaware of it until this morning. Thanks in advance.

• Plus1 1

wow i'm really surprised no one knows where it comes from. This isn't an answer, but a little googling revealed this:

"For as long as anyone can remember, the Huskers have touched a lucky horseshoe on their way from the locker room to the field. The horseshoe hangs above the double doors that open into the tunnel, and it has hung there since the South Stadium locker room opened before the 1973 season. Prior to 1973, during coach Bob Devaney’s tenure, the horseshoe hung above a door near the north locker room. When the team moved to its new air- conditioned quarters, players persuaded Coach Tom Osborne to allow them to relocate the horseshoe. Captains John Dutton and Daryl White hoisted teammate Bob Thornton, who put the horseshoe in its current place. Osborne, who had just succeeded Devaney as coach, agreed that the horseshoe should be moved. He wasn’t superstitious, he said, but he figured the players didn’t want UCLA, the opening-game opponent in 1973, to have the horseshoe’s luck. The Cornhuskers won, 40-13."

wow i'm really surprised no one knows where it comes from. This isn't an answer, but a little googling revealed this:

"For as long as anyone can remember, the Huskers have touched a lucky horseshoe on their way from the locker room to the field. The horseshoe hangs above the double doors that open into the tunnel, and it has hung there since the South Stadium locker room opened before the 1973 season. Prior to 1973, during coach Bob Devaney’s tenure, the horseshoe hung above a door near the north locker room. When the team moved to its new air- conditioned quarters, players persuaded Coach Tom Osborne to allow them to relocate the horseshoe. Captains John Dutton and Daryl White hoisted teammate Bob Thornton, who put the horseshoe in its current place. Osborne, who had just succeeded Devaney as coach, agreed that the horseshoe should be moved. He wasn’t superstitious, he said, but he figured the players didn’t want UCLA, the opening-game opponent in 1973, to have the horseshoe’s luck. The Cornhuskers won, 40-13."

Guess our Huskers didn't touch it before the ISU game!

I googled that, too, and gave this Cliff's Notes version yesterday:

It's hard to say where that thing came from. It's been around forever, and it was in the old locker room in the South stadium.

I googled that, too, and gave this Cliff's Notes version yesterday:

It's hard to say where that thing came from. It's been around forever, and it was in the old locker room in the South stadium.

I believe I read in a Husker book of mine that it is rumored to have been found when they broke ground to either expand the stadium or build the original Memorial. I will try to find it in my book and post this information later.

• 8 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2009 at 3:35 PM, In the Deed the Glory said:

I believe I read in a Husker book of mine that it is rumored to have been found when they broke ground to either expand the stadium or build the original Memorial. I will try to find it in my book and post this information later.

Any updates?

• Plus1 3
15 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Holy cow man, this thread was from November of 2009.

No.  I do not have any updates as of this point.

Yeah...I guess I'm a slow reader too...But you said....

I popped on here last night... (a month or 4 after remembering my password) and saw some sort of new notice feature that someone liked one of my posts in this thread a few minutes before I popped on...After reading through the offending post,  I just wanted to remind some of you guys, I used to be funny...almost.

I do wonder why someone was reading something from this far back...The offseason is brutal I guess.

As you were.