Chatelain: Watson adjusts, the offense returns to form and a white-haired wizard waves his wand

sarge87

Chatelain: Watson adjusts, the offense returns to form and a white-haired wizard waves his wand

Source: Big Red Today

LAWRENCE, Kan. — Maximize the few playmakers you do have: Roy Helu and Niles Paul.

Scrap that shotgun spread and commit to the power formation: I-back. Fullback. Wide receiver. Two tight ends.

This was the strategy Shawn Watson should've employed as soon as his offense collapsed in October.

Advertising

This was the ticket to a Big 12 North title. This was beautiful.

And then, on first-and-10 from the Kansas 46 early in the second quarter, something very fishy happened.

Zac Lee took the snap and dashed left behind the line of scrimmage. Another option?

No. Lee pulled up, pivoted, set his feet and found Paul wiiiiide open behind the safeties for 37 yards.

Tom Osborne, you can sit high above the field in a cozy suite. You can shake hands and stroll around in a red sport coat, looking like a senior citizen without a care in the world.

But you don't actually expect us to believe you didn't have something to do with that play, did you?

Sure enough.

About two weeks ago, Osborne gave Watson a tape of old plays. You know, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, the glory days.

One of the clips was an option pass — the same one you saw Saturday. Watson credited Osborne — “He's a beautiful human being.”

For a moment, Watson teared up. Then he continued.

“All those twists, he's helped enhance us. Coach (Osborne) gets the credit for those …

“He's been in there hacking away with us.”

Osborne isn't exactly OC in disguise.

The A.D. stops by Watson's office about once a week. He had seen Watson transitioning to more power sets the past month, so Osborne offered a few pointers.

The message: You may want to try some of this old stuff.

The past two weeks, Watson — with a major assist from Ron Brown — has searched the old tapes for a little of the old magic. He has identified a few wrinkles this offense can use.

Finding anything that works this season has been a chore. The frustrating part: It didn't seem like Watson recognized what he had — or didn't have.

He entered fall camp believing he had “something special” with the spread. He thought his new quarterback and new receivers could thrive, just as Joe Ganz and Co. did last year.

But as October wore on, it became clear that NU doesn't have four worthy wideouts and Lee needs a safe pocket with plenty of blockers. He needs one or two reads. He needs to throw downfield off play-action.

Force him to scan under duress and hit short targets and he struggles. Mightily.

Strangely, it seemed Watson was the last to see the ills, or was he just stubborn. Either way, could he adapt? Could he coach to his strengths?

It took a while — and a little help from a white-haired wizard.

Watson and the offensive staff went back to the drawing board a few weeks ago.

“We've had to get out of all of our comfort zones,” Watson said.

Watson and Brown each compared the brainstorming session to the scene in “Apollo 13,” when the minds at mission control pondered creative techniques to bring the troubled space shuttle home.

“You really find out how good of a coach you are when you have injuries and setbacks and trials and things don't go the way you planned,” Brown said. “You've got to figure out a way to go move the ball and win football games. That is the mark of a good coach.

“Shawn, he's the guy that's been humble enough to throw it all out on the table and say, ‘You know what? Let's see what we've got here. We can't put in what we don't have, so let's do what we can do.'

“It took humility to do that as a coordinator.”

Why not sooner?

“We were trying to figure it out,” Brown said. “It doesn't just happen overnight. You evolve to it, because you realize, ‘Oh, this is where we're at right now.'”

Having a healthy Helu has enabled the transition. Could NU have relied upon power formations without a workhorse at I-back?

Would've been tough, Watson said.

But power football doesn't require the same precision as the spread.

You just need feisty blocking and a few threats. And it doesn't hurt to have an offensive coordinator willing to change.

He'll never let his pride get in the way of winning a football game, Watson said.

“I love what I know, but I'm not afraid to open my box.”

LAWRENCE, Kan. — Maximize the few playmakers you do have: Roy Helu and Niles Paul.

Scrap that shotgun spread and commit to the power formation: I-back. Fullback. Wide receiver. Two tight ends.

This was the strategy Shawn Watson should've employed as soon as his offense collapsed in October.

Advertising

And then, on first-and-10 from the Kansas 46 early in the second quarter, something very fishy happened.

Zac Lee took the snap and dashed left behind the line of scrimmage. Another option?

No. Lee pulled up, pivoted, set his feet and found Paul wiiiiide open behind the safeties for 37 yards.

Tom Osborne, you can sit high above the field in a cozy suite. You can shake hands and stroll around in a red sport coat, looking like a senior citizen without a care in the world.

But you don't actually expect us to believe you didn't have something to do with that play, did you?

Sure enough.

About two weeks ago, Osborne gave Watson a tape of old plays. You know, Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, the glory days.

One of the clips was an option pass — the same one you saw Saturday. Watson credited Osborne — “He's a beautiful human being.”

“All those twists, he's helped enhance us. Coach (Osborne) gets the credit for those …

The A.D. stops by Watson's office about once a week. He had seen Watson transitioning to more power sets the past month, so Osborne offered a few pointers.

The past two weeks, Watson — with a major assist from Ron Brown — has searched the old tapes for a little of the old magic. He has identified a few wrinkles this offense can use.

Finding anything that works this season has been a chore. The frustrating part: It didn't seem like Watson recognized what he had — or didn't have.

He entered fall camp believing he had “something special” with the spread. He thought his new quarterback and new receivers could thrive, just as Joe Ganz and Co. did last year.

But as October wore on, it became clear that NU doesn't have four worthy wideouts and Lee needs a safe pocket with plenty of blockers. He needs one or two reads. He needs to throw downfield off play-action.

Force him to scan under duress and hit short targets and he struggles. Mightily.

Strangely, it seemed Watson was the last to see the ills, or was he just stubborn. Either way, could he adapt? Could he coach to his strengths?

Watson and Brown each compared the brainstorming session to the scene in “Apollo 13,” when the minds at mission control pondered creative techniques to bring the troubled space shuttle home.

“You really find out how good of a coach you are when you have injuries and setbacks and trials and things don't go the way you planned,” Brown said. “You've got to figure out a way to go move the ball and win football games. That is the mark of a good coach.

“Shawn, he's the guy that's been humble enough to throw it all out on the table and say, ‘You know what? Let's see what we've got here. We can't put in what we don't have, so let's do what we can do.'

Why not sooner?

“We were trying to figure it out,” Brown said. “It doesn't just happen overnight. You evolve to it, because you realize, ‘Oh, this is where we're at right now.'”

Having a healthy Helu has enabled the transition. Could NU have relied upon power formations without a workhorse at I-back?

You just need feisty blocking and a few threats. And it doesn't hurt to have an offensive coordinator willing to change.

He'll never let his pride get in the way of winning a football game, Watson said.

Gee scrap the shotgun and WCO and go to power football and play action with Helu and Paul. I think most of us could've figured that one out!

Advertising

Sure enough.

Why not sooner?

A-freakin'-men

Thanks but... it's a little too late into the season, Watson. :lol:

:facepalm:

Cut the guy some slack, the team has its goals within reach and are control of its own destiny. Was Watson a little stubborn? Probably, but find me a OC that isn't too proud of his work to change it up. He seen the writing on the wall and he appears to get it now. We are fortunante to have TO hanging around tossing ideas out to the staff.

Of our three loses, I can only pin the TT one on him and there was still some basic fundamental breakdowns from the O that was out of Watson's control. This is not a Ganz led Husker team, we do not have the receivers we had last year, and as the article says, we using what we have and playing to our strengths.

GBR

I think Watson is secure as long as TO is on his side. But, Bo could fire the entire offensive coaches per his contract. TO would not like to see Brown go again and probably Cotton. So, he has to help them some.

I am sure that TO has some other ideas after watching the Kansas game.

I would like TO to put together some trick plays. And a few plays using Suh!

They need to sit the skill players down and have them actually watch some of TO old plays.

Zac does a Haloween imitation of the pitch to Helu. They need to develop some timing if they want it to be productive!

Cut the guy some slack, the team has its goals within reach and are control of its own destiny. Was Watson a little stubborn? Probably, but find me a OC that isn't too proud of his work to change it up. He seen the writing on the wall and he appears to get it now. We are fortunante to have TO hanging around tossing ideas out to the staff.

Of our three loses, I can only pin the TT one on him and there was still some basic fundamental breakdowns from the O that was out of Watson's control. This is not a Ganz led Husker team, we do not have the receivers we had last year, and as the article says, we using what we have and playing to our strengths.

GBR

Now we are using our strengths, but it took almost a full season for him to finally figure out what our strengths were. Isn't it an offensive coordinator's job to figure out our strengths early on and build a playbook around them - especially since he is one of the highest paid coordinators in the country (more than some head coaches make)? I didn't see that at all this year except in this game. All I ever heard was, "we are multiple and we take what the defense gives us". Well, he finally found out we weren't multiple and that we should probably concentrate on our strengths rather than trying to do everything poorly. Probably a big "duh" to most people and most coordinators.

Congrats for figuring it out ten games into the season. <_<

GBR

Now we are using our strengths, but it took almost a full season for him to finally figure out what our strengths were. Isn't it an offensive coordinator's job to figure out our strengths early on and build a playbook around them - especially since he is one of the highest paid coordinators in the country (more than some head coaches make)? I didn't see that at all this year except in this game. All I ever heard was, "we are multiple and we take what the defense gives us". Well, he finally found out we weren't multiple and that we should probably concentrate on our strengths rather than trying to do everything poorly. Probably a big "duh" to most people and most coordinators.

Congrats for figuring it out ten games into the season. <_<

Was anyone complaining about the offensive after the first 4-5 games?

-We moved the ball on the sun belt

-Couldn't find the endzone vs VT, but was effective at moving up and down the field

-Was the rain an issue in Coulmbia? Don't know but we did score 3 tds in the fourth

I'm not sure what was going on during the TT game, but Helu was not 100% and Lee and Paul had some boneheaded mistakes. Execution or cordinating?

Iowa State - Did the OC turn the ball over 8 times? 4 of the them inside the 5 yard line...

We had an inexperienced QB running the show in Waco, Watson was obviously keeping it simple for him...

OU - right behind us in only giving up about 10 pts/game...

Kansas- we took advantage of a porous defense and Helu looked healthy for the first time since MU.

This is just my point of view on it.... :cheers

I’d say Watson is doing pretty well considering the adversity he’s had to deal with this year. Think about it. Watson lost his (apparent) number one QB in the off season, he lost his power running back during the summer, and Helu has been dinged up. His O-line—which seems to have plenty of talented individuals—has fallen flat so far. His receivers have hands of stone. And the fumbles—don’t get me started on fumbles.

Given all this, I don't think Norm F'ing Chow could have done much better.

I’d say Watson is doing pretty well considering the adversity he’s had to deal with this year. Think about it. Watson lost his (apparent) number one QB in the off season, he lost his power running back during the summer, and Helu has been dinged up. His O-line—which seems to have plenty of talented individuals—has fallen flat so far. His receivers have hands of stone. And the fumbles—don’t get me started on fumbles.

Given all this, I don't think Norm F'ing Chow could have done much better.

And the O Line has had plenty of injuries, too. I think the ABC guys said during the KU game that every starter on the O Line has missed time due to injury this year. That hurts.

Was anyone complaining about the offensive after the first 4-5 games?

-We moved the ball on the sun belt

-Couldn't find the endzone vs VT, but was effective at moving up and down the field

-Was the rain an issue in Coulmbia? Don't know but we did score 3 tds in the fourth

I'm not sure what was going on during the TT game, but Helu was not 100% and Lee and Paul had some boneheaded mistakes. Execution or cordinating?

Iowa State - Did the OC turn the ball over 8 times? 4 of the them inside the 5 yard line...

We had an inexperienced QB running the show in Waco, Watson was obviously keeping it simple for him...

OU - right behind us in only giving up about 10 pts/game...

Kansas- we took advantage of a porous defense and Helu looked healthy for the first time since MU.

This is just my point of view on it.... :cheers

Sorry, but I'm just not going to give credit to Watson for doing something that was so painfully obvious. Finally getting the ball to some of our TEs after all preseason all we heard was how talented all of them were, bootleg PA passes, and more PA passing in general.

All pretty obvious plays that would have worked earlier in the year, but never saw much of it because that's, and I quote, "not what the defense was giving us." You play to the strengths of your offensive players, not to what the defense is doing. Pretty basic stuff, but it took Watson ten games to figure it out.

You play to the strengths of your offensive players, not to what the defense is doing. Pretty basic stuff, but it took Watson ten games to figure it out.

If it is “pretty basic stuff” to not play to what the defense is doing, then why do a lot of the best offenses in the nation wait until the defense lines up before they signal in the play? :dunno You would think that since it is so “basic” to just run what you are good at that they wouldn’t need to wait and see before calling a play they would just line up and call whatever they wanted.

Bo and the other offensive coaches have a say in the game plan, it is not all on Watson. He just seems to be the whipping boy. Bo is the Head Coach if he wanted something to change he could have changed it.

People wanted a coaching staff that would make adjustments and guess what for the second straight year they have made adjustments needed to help us win ball games.

Finally getting the ball to some of our TEs after all preseason all we heard was how talented all of them were

We also heard in the preseason how awesome Compton, Fisher, May, and the OLine were. :bang:bs: That really never panned out did. Just because we heard about them being that way doesn’t make it so. We have one really good TE in McNeil and the rest have proven to be nothing more then decent blockers.

I know some on here are coaches but I highly doubt most are. If any of the “pretty basic stuff” crowd is a coach I would like to know where and when they play again (because they have to be deep in the playoffs with the knowledge they have) because I would love to come watch how a perfect coach, with perfect game plans, perfect decision making, and perfect play calling manages a game. :moreinteresting:madash