SIGNED LB Lavonte David

i agree. we do not currently seem to have an athletic playmaker at OLB of lavonte's apparent ability. he will get every opportunity to show what he can do and has a very good shot at starting by mid-year. really too bad he couldn't make it in for spring ball though.

Matt May looked pretty good before his injury. We'll have to wait and see if May and David can give us that athletic OLB we've been missing.

i agree. we do not currently seem to have an athletic playmaker at OLB of lavonte's apparent ability. he will get every opportunity to show what he can do and has a very good shot at starting by mid-year. really too bad he couldn't make it in for spring ball though.

Matt May looked pretty good before his injury. We'll have to wait and see if May and David can give us that athletic OLB we've been missing.

i forgot about may, and he did look good pre-injury, but i'm not sure he's in lavonte's class.

i forgot about may, and he did look good pre-injury, but i'm not sure he's in lavonte's class.

Lavonte David will be starting the first snap against WKU. He is one of the best linebackers in the country.

• 3 weeks later...

Went back and watched David's film again. chuckleshuffle

This kid is going to be special. Once he gets ingrained into the Pelini system and Dobson's training regimen, watch out. :o

He has future Blackshirt Legend written all over him. His instincts are superb on film. I can see why Jeff Sims called him the smartest player he's ever coached.

This kid is going to be special. Once he gets ingrained into the Pelini system and Dobson's training regimen, watch out. :o

He has future Blackshirt Legend written all over him. His instincts are superb on film. I can see why Jeff Sims called him the smartest player he's ever coached.

...and smarts is going to be David's primary advantage over other LBs. Pelini's defense requires intelligence - in this case, the ability to recognize offensive sets quickly & adjust to get the upperhand before the play even formulates.

...and smarts is going to be David's primary advantage over other LBs. Pelini's defense requires intelligence - in this case, the ability to recognize offensive sets quickly & adjust to get the upperhand before the play even formulates.

So smart he couldn't pass a math class and enroll at UNL in the Spring.

• Fire 1

There is a big difference between football intelligence and math class intelligence. I'm guessing that Sims was talking about the former.

There is a big difference between football intelligence and math class intelligence. I'm guessing that Sims was talking about the former.

not trying to be offensive... but its like book smarts and streets smarts.... sometimes these guys aren't the best and the brightest soo to speak in the classroom (i.e. the juco route) but that doesnt mean they lack football knowledge or book smart knowledge either.. i think they are soo focused on football they let slide the classes they hate and take the ones they like a little more seriously.. however the first two years of school is just your general classes anyways soo its hard to get excited about subjects you hate......

• 1 month later...

I'm sure its somewhere in this thread, but does anyone know whether David can redshirt this year? With Hagg gone after this year he would seem like a prime candidate to take over the peso position after Hagg leaves. With his talent you have to have him on the field as much as possible, I think, the same goes for Compton and/or Martin and it'd be a shame for two of them to be standing on the sidelines in dime formations along with Fisher and Whaley.

Well then that's freakin great news. I would hate to see pelini waste his first year by inserting him five or so games into the season. With Hagg being a senior and having the linebackers already in the system for at least two years I would love to see him redshirt and take over Hagg's position for the next two years, let Harvey Jackson redshirt and sit behind David for two years and take that over as a junior and start for two years. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but IMO that situation would be ideal. Unless we get some other athletic stud that can come in compete w/ David for the peso position right away.