Watching College Football Live right now and the short list for who ND has in mind to hire looks like this:

Brian Kelly - Cincinnati

Bob Stoops - Oklahoma

Gary Patterson - TCU

Butch Davis - North Carolina

Brian Kelly would be the most likely person IMO.

Stoops I believe just received a contract extension this year

Patterson would be stupid to leave TCU right now. He has a great thing going

Butch Davis just got to UNC last year?

They're going to have to throw OODLES of cash at Stoops to get him away from Oklahoma. Stoops has a stable full of talent at OU, while Notre Dame is barely two deep anywhere. Clausen and Tate are likely to follow Weis out the door, so walking into the job the new coach is looking at a two-year rebuilding project, minimum.

I would bet they've got a verbal from Kelly right now or they wouldn't have fired Weis. If not, we could be looking at another Steve Pederson coaching search, and they'll end up with someone like Dick Jauron.

A lot of factors in play here.

ND has a ton of talent on the field, but Weis couldn't coach em up. Do you look for a coach who likes to run 3-4 or WCO, or do you blow the whole thing up?

Either way, the mentality needs to be changed. That's where it's gonna start.

Weis was a ND alum wasn't he? He should know what ND is all about, too bad though, thought he would do well there, but nobody seems to get a chance in today's CFB. One thing is for sure, whoever gets in there might have a big pay day!

Stoops is staying at Oklahoma. No surprise there...

Shortly after Charlie Weis was fired by Notre Dame, Bob Stoops took his name out of consideration for the Notre Dame job by announcing he will remain at Oklahoma.

"I intend to be at Oklahoma. That's the only (job) right now that I'm looking to do," said Stoops. "I'm going to be at Oklahoma next year. I can't be in two places at once."

Rumors surfaced on Saturday that Stoops would meet with Notre Dame officials on Sunday. But Monday afternoon Stoops would not confirm whether that meeting had taken place.

"I will never confirm or deny whether I talk or don't talk to anybody. I won't be interviewing for any jobs," he said.

LINK

ND has a ton of talent on the field, but Weis couldn't coach em up. Do you look for a coach who likes to run 3-4 or WCO, or do you blow the whole thing up?

Weis was a ND alum wasn't he? He should know what ND is all about, too bad though, thought he would do well there, but nobody seems to get a chance in today's CFB. One thing is for sure, whoever gets in there might have a big pay day!

5 years is enough time. Sure, there is a chance you would have become great after that, but if you can't make progress in 5 years and get to a certain expected level that is realistic, then it is fair and just that you are let go.

5 years is enough time. Sure, there is a chance you would have become great after that, but if you can't make progress in 5 years and get to a certain expected level that is realistic, then it is fair and just that you are let go.

He did get 2 BCS bowl games out of the deal though, don't really follow them at all, but maybe the writing is on the wall for the talent pool going dry...

He did get 2 BCS bowl games out of the deal though, don't really follow them at all, but maybe the writing is on the wall for the talent pool going dry...

Those were two decent Notre Dame teams, but they were playing with upperclassmen recruited by Willingham, if I'm not mistaken.

:yeah

Charlie only won games with players recruited by Ty Willingham.

He couldnt get it done with his own, his offenses were always pretty decent

but he never put a steady D on the feild. That NFL mentality may have

been his downfall(lack of discipline)?