The Hard Lessons

Husker_x

1. First and most importantly, it isn't what we learned, but rather didn't learn. If it hasn't happened already, a full investigation/report needs to be filed as to what the hell happened when Texas lost the Big XII championship game as the clock rolls to zero, and then Lo and Behold, there's a second left on the clock. I have a hard time imagining the call being made in anything but the last play of a championship bout where the Big XII's golden boys are about to crap in their own pants, but when you have a team stupid enough to run a play with eight seconds left (which happens to involve a designed QB run in it) and he lobs a floater out of bounds as the final seconds tick away, how about tie goes to the team that wasn't stupid enough to run a play like that. I'm not as upset about this travesty as I should be, but until Texas worked their magic, I wasn't even aware such a play was reviewable, as the whistle was blown after time had expired.

2. Colt McCoy? Heisman? Mwa ha ha ha ha. This Christmas Suh will arrive at Bo Pelini's house for dinner, all decked out in a festive sweater. They'll sit around the fireplace drinking eggnog and smoking big cigars. And as conversation rolls on, suddenly they'll begin to laugh. And laugh. And laugh. Why are they laughing? Because they'll remember that this is the vaunted Longhorn offense. This is the best QB-slash-player in the nation. To even write this sentence causes mirthful tears to roll down my face. After Suh, who made McCoy his bitch to the tune of 4 1/2 sacks, isn't invited––nay, dare I say rightfully considered––for the Heisman trophy, then the award ought to be banished from football. It will have irreversibly shown itself to be as pathetic and irrelevant a mockery as the Nobel Peace Prize.

3. Back to the merry Christmas scene, the unfortunate thing of it is soon the tearful laugher will turn to tearful sobbing, because even though you can do little but laugh at Texas's overrated offense, the merest thought of our own brings the strongest a sour feeling in his guts and a weak feeling in his knees. 106 yards. You got me right. 106. And five first downs. As worthless as Texas was, Watson was not to be outdone. No sir. He cooked up the most inept scheme yet again featuring the most inept players perhaps in the history of the program. Unlike some teams that actually get better throughout the season only to explode finally when the lights are at their brightest, our offense reverts––penalties, turnovers, drops, missed assignments. The offense couldn't even handle its menial role of not doing anything stupid. Granted, it was Adi Kunalic and Larry Asante who would ultimately be high fiving each other on the sidelines, but the ugly reality here is that if we had even a sh**ty offense, we would have smoked these clowns and the whole world knows it.

4. Which brings us to the obvious, doesn't it? It doesn't really matter who. Or precisely when. But someone had better be job hunting and that right soon. No offense as useless and regressive as this should be smiled and patted on the head with labels of 'inexperience'. This is coaching. This is scheme. A message needs to be sent that 106 yards and five first downs on the national stage is not acceptable. Though it is a foregone conclusion that Lee probably won't need to bother showing up for spring ball, the fact that he's gotten this far being expected to do nothing but not turn it over (which he still manages to do) is a sign of a staff who even with an entire season couldn't coach their way to a single touchdown––run or pass. Is Nebraska back? I think they're close, but there's a weak link the chain. And we all know what it is.

That's what I learned last night. How about you?

1. First and most importantly, it isn't what we learned, but rather didn't learn. If it hasn't happened already, a full investigation/report needs to be filed as to what the hell happened when Texas lost the Big XII championship game as the clock rolls to zero, and then Lo and Behold, there's a second left on the clock. I have a hard time imagining the call being made in anything but the last play of a championship bout where the Big XII's golden boys are about to crap in their own pants, but when you have a team stupid enough to run a play with eight seconds left (which happens to involve a designed QB run in it) and he lobs a floater out of bounds as the final seconds tick away, how about tie goes to the team that wasn't stupid enough to run a play like that. I'm not as upset about this travesty as I should be, but until Texas worked their magic, I wasn't even aware such a play was reviewable, as the whistle was blown after time had expired.

2. Colt McCoy? Heisman? Mwa ha ha ha ha. This Christmas Suh will arrive at Bo Pelini's house for dinner, all decked out in a festive sweater. They'll sit around the fireplace drinking eggnog and smoking big cigars. And as conversation rolls on, suddenly they'll begin to laugh. And laugh. And laugh. Why are they laughing? Because they'll remember that this is the vaunted Longhorn offense. This is the best QB-slash-player in the nation. To even write this sentence causes mirthful tears to roll down my face. After Suh, who made McCoy his bitch to the tune of 4 1/2 sacks, isn't invited––nay, dare I say rightfully considered––for the Heisman trophy, then the award ought to be banished from football. It will have irreversibly shown itself to be as pathetic and irrelevant a mockery as the Nobel Peace Prize.

3. Back to the merry Christmas scene, the unfortunate thing of it is soon the tearful laugher will turn to tearful sobbing, because even though you can do little but laugh at Texas's overrated offense, the merest thought of our own brings the strongest a sour feeling in his guts and a weak feeling in his knees. 106 yards. You got me right. 106. And five first downs. As worthless as Texas was, Watson was not to be outdone. No sir. He cooked up the most inept scheme yet again featuring the most inept players perhaps in the history of the program. Unlike some teams that actually get better throughout the season only to explode finally when the lights are at their brightest, our offense reverts––penalties, turnovers, drops, missed assignments. The offense couldn't even handle its menial role of not doing anything stupid. Granted, it was Adi Kunalic and Larry Asante who would ultimately be high fiving each other on the sidelines, but the ugly reality here is that if we had even a sh**ty offense, we would have smoked these clowns and the whole world knows it.

4. Which brings us to the obvious, doesn't it? It doesn't really matter who. Or precisely when. But someone had better be job hunting and that right soon. No offense as useless and regressive as this should be smiled and patted on the head with labels of 'inexperience'. This is coaching. This is scheme. A message needs to be sent that 106 yards and five first downs on the national stage is not acceptable. Though it is a foregone conclusion that Lee probably won't need to bother showing up for spring ball, the fact that he's gotten this far being expected to do nothing but not turn it over (which he still manages to do) is a sign of a staff who even with an entire season couldn't coach their way to a single touchdown––run or pass. Is Nebraska back? I think they're close, but there's a weak link the chain. And we all know what it is.

Husker X,

You have a way with words. Are you famous novelist hiding in anonymity among us? :worship

Husker X,

You have a way with words. Are you famous novelist hiding in anonymity among us? :worship

Yeah, I wish.

I learned the same lesson that i learned when we played Virgina Tech this year.

YOU CAN'T WIN A GAME ON FIELD GOALS ALONE.

I agree but, we could've won this one with 5 FG s, unlike the VT game. Each time we had a big mo turnover, our EX QB would throw on pick on the next play. That is ridiculous and why he is referred to as our EX QB.

BO needs to take some blame here. With 1.50 to go he goes for a run off left guard for no gain. FG with that much time is So Wrong!!!!!

I am getting texts from a fellow Husker, need to run play action to TE or WR running a 5 yard pattern. We

get the 1st down we run clock and the game is over with zero time on the clock. You run the clock to 3 seconds and run our kicker out there to win the game. If we miss then you take the kick. You would of saved one of their timeouts but you "play to win the game". Because "you play to win the game". All this talk about shankasorusrex and horse collar mean nothing. If Zac rolls out and the 5 yard pass isn't there then you try to scramble or run, just don't lose 20 yards on the scramble. We needed to attempt a 5 yard pass to win the game!!!!!!

Thoughts gentlemen.

schuhbdoo

This was the look on my face after Bo's decision to not pass for a 1st down.

I agree but, we could've won this one with 5 FG s, unlike the VT game. Each time we had a big mo turnover, our EX QB would throw on pick on the next play. That is ridiculous and why he is referred to as our EX QB.

BO needs to take some blame here. With 1.50 to go he goes for a run off left guard for no gain. FG with that much time is So Wrong!!!!!

I am getting texts from a fellow Husker, need to run play action to TE or WR running a 5 yard pattern. We

get the 1st down we run clock and the game is off with zero time on the clock. If we miss then you take the kick. You would of saved one of their timeouts but you "played to win the game". Because "you play to win the game". All this talk about shankasorusrex and horse collar mean nothing. If Zac rolls out and the 5 yard pass isn't there then you try to scramble or run, just don't lose 20 yards on the scramble. We needed to attempt a 5 yard pass to win the game!!!!!!

Thoughts gentlemen.

schuhbdoo

Valid argument. I liked the run call though. Take the field goal. We're up with our defense on the field to win. That's what we wanted. Chances are that Adi boots one to the endzone. Hey maybe they return it to the 30. That gives us about 30-40 yards to work with. Bo liked the odds, as did I. A team with 2 timeouts is way harder to play against than a team with 1. I don't question that playcall at all. Play to win? We did. We had more points on the board at that point. Just my opinion.

get the 1st down we run clock and the game is off with zero time on the clock. If we miss then you take the kick. You would of saved one of their timeouts but you "played to win the game". Because "you play to win the game". All this talk about shankasorusrex and horse collar mean nothing. If Zac rolls out and the 5 yard pass isn't there then you try to scramble or run, just don't lose 20 yards on the scramble. We needed to attempt a 5 yard pass to win the game!!!!!!

Thoughts gentlemen.

schuhbdoo

Valid argument. I liked the run call though. Take the field goal. We're up with our defense on the field to win. That's what we wanted. Chances are that Adi boots one to the endzone. Hey maybe they return it to the 30. That gives us about 30-40 yards to work with. Bo liked the odds, as did I. A team with 2 timeouts is way harder to play against than a team with 1. I don't question that playcall at all. Play to win? We did. We had more points on the board at that point. Just my opinion.

Texas knew our tendencies on that play. You try to trick them by doing something that is not obvious. If you get the 5 yards, game over. If our Ex QB runs and doesn't go out of bounds it is the same thing. Time out must be called to stop the clock. He just can't lose 15 yards to make it a 57 yarder. If we get a

first down you take all the actions of Adi, Asante and the officials out of the game. You can't give a guy(McCoy) who has 44 wins and now 45 wins, 1:43 on the clock. Bo needs to be able to "play to win the game". He is a defensive genius. He has not shown me he can manage the offensive side of a close game. Gomes makes the play of the year and it all for not due to our inability to play action roll out pass for 5 yards. SUH has the best game of his career and it is all for not.

Schuhbdoo

1. Dirty Larry finally cost us a game instead of saving one.

2. Don't kickoff out of bounds and let them start at the 40.

3. Our offense is beyond horrible.

it has honestly gotten ridiculous. i watch a lot of college football, and i have a hard time saying that i have seen an offense as inept as ours. what a shame. i feel terribly for our defense. oh the "what ifs" if we just had a decent (read 14-17 pts per game) offense.

ps: what is a touchdown? is that something only other teams can get? i don't really understand, is there a rule against Nebraska scoring these "touchdowns?"