Watson's Big 12 Stats from 2000-2009

Bradr

Awesome post there, Sarge.

One big downfall of Ron Prince at K-state was the constant need for JUCO guys. Yes, they generally fill spots nicely, but you generally get them for AT MOST two years of playing time with a redshirt season thrown in there as well. Players need to get in here much sooner than that.

After reading Sarge's post I came to the conclusion that Nebraska has been fairly successful at targeting JUCOs that will actually see the field. If you go through the list, roughly 1/3 of those players were significant contributors. I'd guess that is slightly higher than the percentage of high school recruits who actually contribute.

After reading Sarge's post I came to the conclusion that Nebraska has been fairly successful at targeting JUCOs that will actually see the field. If you go through the list, roughly 1/3 of those players were significant contributors. I'd guess that is slightly higher than the percentage of high school recruits who actually contribute.

I noticed the same thing. And before Ron Prince got to KSU, Bill Snyder built that program into a national power using a lot of JUCO's. I don't think you can blame last year's offense on JUCO's. Lack of developing the younger players has some merit but not number of JUCO's.

The Callahan JUCO thing was worse than I thought. For 2005 that was about half the class!

I don't have any problem with getting a few JUCOs per year for places of obvious need (like OT this season) or when the talent is simply too good to pass up. But if you're screwing yourself for the long haul, patience pays off better. You almost have to assume that half of what you recruit isn't going to contribute in any meaningful way on the field. Why increase those odds by halving the amount of time a player can develop?

I'm not so warm hearted as HuskerfaninOkieland. I think he needs to go after the end of this season. Hire a new and talented O.C. Preferably a snubbed former head coach or offensive minded genius.

I am going to be really angry, pissed off, dejected, if I have to sit through another season with a National Championship Caliber defense and an offense that plays like the last place offense in the MAC.

Charlie Weis?

Man, if Charlie Weiss became our OC I would really have a hard time rooting for our offense... no front butt's in Nebraska please!

I noticed the same thing. And before Ron Prince got to KSU, Bill Snyder built that program into a national power using a lot of JUCO's. I don't think you can blame last year's offense on JUCO's. Lack of developing the younger players has some merit but not number of JUCO's.

My whole point was from 2005-2007 the coaching staff basically quit developing players -- opting to bring in JUCO's instead. During his tenure, BC redshirted just barely over 50%, whereas the former coaching staffs were redshirting 70%+ of incoming freshmen. This is why we could just "reload" from year-to-year like Texas does now. After the 2008 season, we are seeing the glaring deficiencies caused by bringing in JUCO's the past 4 years to play offense here under Callahan. Bo was basically left with good athletes, but none of them developed.

Seeing the number of JUCO's taken by Bo and his staff the past couple years, he recognizes this too. You have to be able to build players from the ground up and shore up some of the spots your thin at with JUCO's.

BTW, Snyder only had a couple of good years. The rest were mediocre at best. You could always count on KSU choking like a cat hacking up a furball when the game meant something. When you think of national powerhouses, even during the '90s, the name Snyder was barely a pimple on T.O.'s backside.

I'm not so warm hearted as HuskerfaninOkieland. I think he needs to go after the end of this season. Hire a new and talented O.C. Preferably a snubbed former head coach or offensive minded genius.

I am going to be really angry, pissed off, dejected, if I have to sit through another season with a National Championship Caliber defense and an offense that plays like the last place offense in the MAC.

Charlie Weis?

Man, if Charlie Weiss became our OC I would really have a hard time rooting for our offense... no front butt's in Nebraska please!

Charlie Weis an offensive genius? I think he was talking about Mike Leach... :dunno

edit: or Mangino