Texas Message Boards

I went back and checked the drive summary (from Yahoo!). 9 of your points came on field goals where your O gained a just single first down (moving 13 yards on that drive). Arguably, your O was legitimately responsible for only 3 of your 12 points.

Like I said before, give yourself all the credit in the world defensively. Just know that it might give you a false sense of security when you face an actual offensive unit :thumbs

It's all about the points. You gave up 12 points to us, more than Oklahoma or Iowa State gave up, and we played both at home. In your home turf, with home-field advantage, you should have been able to hold an offense this inept to three or six points. We scored only five points less against you than we scored against K-State and only three points less than we scored against VT.

Well, to be fair, the Texas O spotted you 6 points. Your first two field goals had nothing to do with your O.

Technically it did, because we didn't give the ball back before kicking the field goal, like we did after the blocked punt. It's an accomplishment for our offense to keep the ball long enough to kick a field goal.

http://forums.hookem.com/index.php?showtopic=7104&st=0

Apparently we've intimidated the Bevos. GO BIG RED. :w00t

Oh, and apparently their defense looked darn good against us because they held us to 106 yards....someone should tell them that's not an accomplishment :bang

GOOD! THEY SHOULD BE!! I hope every schedule in Huskerland has that game circled next year. I hope they replay the end of that game 100 times during the off season!

October 16th 2010. Lincoln Nebraska!!

BRING IT THE F&*$ ON!

I went back and checked the drive summary (from Yahoo!). 9 of your points came on field goals where your O gained a just single first down (moving 13 yards on that drive). Arguably, your O was legitimately responsible for only 3 of your 12 points.

Boiling this down, you're saying our O sucks. You'll get no argument here. But that calls into question the "accomplishment" of holding us to 106 yards, you'd have to agree.

Think about it - when is the last time you saw an offense as inept as ours? If this was your first time watching our offense this year you're basing your opinion on too little information. We were horrid against most of our schedule, including the likes of K-State, Iowa State, Missouri, and Oklahoma. Only one of those teams even has an adequate defense.

Yes, Texas put the clamps on the Nebraska offense. But that's hardly an exclusive club.

Oh, and apparently their defense looked darn good against us because they held us to 106 yards....someone should tell them that's not an accomplishment :bang

"The Cornhuskers (9-4) had only 106 total yards, their lowest total in 25 years."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recap?gid=200912050023

I undertsand that your O had its issues this year, but I don't think you are giving the Texas D much credit for stonewalling you in the CCG. No one else this year managed to do what Texas did - even when Helu & Burkhead were dinged up.

This year's longhorn team isn't as good as last year's. You have showed all this year when you played against a good defense your offense goes to hell. Whatever it is there is something wrong with McCoy. He isn't the same as last year he is making too many mistakes. If we had Joe Ganz you wouldn't have won. If Sam Bradford had played the whole game in the Red River Game you wouldn't have won. I've seen some people say this year is like 2005 when no one gave you a shot. McCoy isn't anywhere near as good as Vince Young. TBH i will be surprised if you even score a touchdown against Alabama. Alabama reminds me of the NY Giants in 2007 when they got hot late in the year. There are a lot of similarities between Texas and Florida and how they run their offense. I know you have a month to prepare but as poorly as you have been playing and with no games in between i don't think it will matter much.

"The Cornhuskers (9-4) had only 106 total yards, their lowest total in 25 years."

I undertsand that your O had its issues this year, but I don't think you are giving the Texas D much credit for stonewalling you in the CCG. No one else this year managed to do what Texas did - even when Helu & Burkhead were dinged up.

GIVE THEM CREDIT FOR CHEATING... BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN WIN!!! PHUCKIN CHEATERS!

Oh for the love....coming into the game in big 12 competition we were averaging 282 yards per game. Not to mention that our offensive gameplan was to run it up the middle and hope to pick up enough for 3rd and short to burn clock and play field position.

Boiling this down, you're saying our O sucks.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

This year's longhorn team isn't as good as last year's.

No argument from me there. We really missed having a real threat at tight end this year. The loss of Collins (replacement for Quan Cosby) also hurt big time. Kirkendoll and Williams have been as inconsistent this year as Collins/Cosby were reliable.

Colt was also restricted in his running this year and that allowed defenses to focus more on other aspects of the offense.

Whatever it is there is something wrong with McCoy.

He played a few games while suffering from various illnesses and there is speculation that he played the 4th quarter of the CCG with a mild concussion.

Oh for the love....coming into the game in big 12 competition we were averaging 282 yards per game. Not to mention that our offensive gameplan was to run it up the middle and hope to pick up enough for 3rd and short to burn clock and play field position.

Which illustrates the point I was trying to make. Texas D held your O to ~1/3 of it's normal production. That's a credit to the Texas D. To highlight the point, bear in mind that your 282 yards/game average was built with games where your O was missing one piece or another. You had all the pieces available in the CCG. I'm not trying to rub salt in wounds here. I'm trying to point out that you played against the best D you have faced all year. If you don't give them any credit (and choose to blame your O for everything), you aren't being fair to your team.

bern, I think everyone will agree that Texas' D is pretty good. Don't take what we're saying as disrespect against your D.

The reality is (and this is my real point) that both your D and our O share responsibility for those 106 yards. To which degree either side holds responsibility is all that's up for debate. I'd say 50/50, some would disagree. Hard to say who's right.

bern, I think everyone will agree that Texas' D is pretty good. Don't take what we're saying as disrespect against your D.

The reality is (and this is my real point) that both your D and our O share responsibility for those 106 yards. To which degree either side holds responsibility is all that's up for debate. I'd say 50/50, some would disagree. Hard to say who's right.

And it doesn't really matter. The game is over and you won it by :01. If you want to believe that your defense is amazing, no one on the board is trying to take that away from you. They've obviously played a 13-0 season thus far. It's beyond me why you want to argue this point with Nebraska fans - to try and show us that you're defense was far superior? That's no surprise.

Since you say you're not trying to rub salt in the wounds, I'll assume it's because you want us to believe that our offense only struggled because your defense was so good. Trust me, you won't convince a single Nebraska fan who has watched a few games that this is the case. Our offense is the worst it's been in decades.

Basically, this whole conversation is futile and I've already wasted too much space hashing it out.

GO BIG RED. :box

Boiling this down, you're saying our O sucks.

No, that's not what I'm saying.

This year's longhorn team isn't as good as last year's.

No argument from me there. We really missed having a real threat at tight end this year. The loss of Collins (replacement for Quan Cosby) also hurt big time. Kirkendoll and Williams have been as inconsistent this year as Collins/Cosby were reliable.

Colt was also restricted in his running this year and that allowed defenses to focus more on other aspects of the offense.

Whatever it is there is something wrong with McCoy.

He played a few games while suffering from various illnesses and there is speculation that he played the 4th quarter of the CCG with a mild concussion.

Which illustrates the point I was trying to make. Texas D held your O to ~1/3 of it's normal production. That's a credit to the Texas D. To highlight the point, bear in mind that your 282 yards/game average was built with games where your O was missing one piece or another. You had all the pieces available in the CCG. I'm not trying to rub salt in wounds here. I'm trying to point out that you played against the best D you have faced all year. If you don't give them any credit (and choose to blame your O for everything), you aren't being fair to your team.

All right I guess you need some more numbers.

ISU gives up 414 ypg....wait for it....Nebraska put up 362

Baylor gives up 405....273 (and we were trying to be creative)

kansas 383....we exploded for 410

CU 363....217!

missouri 358....263 (we all blamed it on the weather at that time....little did we know)

ksu 339...267

OU 273....180

tt 348...285

texass 251...106 You guys did what everyone else (save kansas) did. hold us to a lower total that you had averaged.

Keep patting yourselves on the back but it's obvious you're offense is soft and not used to a physical attack and bama has that on BOTH sides of the ball.

This is a really strange argument.

If you believe that Texas' defense isn't terrific, you haven't been paying attention this year. They held UTEP to 53 total yards. UTEP has a good offense.

Yes. Nebraska does not move the ball well. It is actually disconcerting that they seem to lack the desire to even try as the negatives of doing so outweigh the potential gains. That said Nebraska gained 106 total yards of offense in the CCG. It is just silly to expect Texas fans not to be proud of that achievement regardless of how bad this Nebraska offense is.

I'm really not sure why we are arguing the point.

Nobody's arguing whether or not their defense is any good. But Texass seems to be using this as a statement that their D is good. There was nothing exceptional about this game. They had 3 picks. 2 deep balls poorly thrown and a tip (wasn't it?). No forced fumbles. One sack. But if UTEP is their world beater that they held in check....

Nobody's arguing whether or not their defense is any good. But Texass seems to be using this as a statement that their D is good. There was nothing exceptional about this game. They had 3 picks. 2 deep balls poorly thrown and a tip (wasn't it?). No forced fumbles. One sack. But if UTEP is their world beater that they held in check....

Who do you propose they should use? We are using their offense as our world beater. We did not oblige them the opportunity to use ours.