Next Year's Oline

I'm hoping for some massive improvement from the o line. Smith has got to go. He's just not big enough, strong enough, or explosive enough. Williams better be a hell of a lot better this next year than he was this year and hopefully Caputo can fill in nicely. I think Henry came on fairly strong at the end of the year and should be better next year and hopefully DJ and Marcel can improve strength and explosive wise. I think the added depth from Qvale and Sirles will be very very beneficial for the o line next year and I see both frosh redshirting.

I'm hoping for some massive improvement from the o line. Smith has got to go. He's just not big enough, strong enough, or explosive enough. Williams better be a hell of a lot better this next year than he was this year and hopefully Caputo can fill in nicely. I think Henry came on fairly strong at the end of the year and should be better next year and hopefully DJ and Marcel can improve strength and explosive wise. I think the added depth from Qvale and Sirles will be very very beneficial for the o line next year and I see both frosh redshirting.

I think they have some faith in Ash, Qvale, Sirles and Coffey if they aren't hitting the OL hard right now recruiting

Coaches and former players have said that our "scout" team O-line may be just as good as the starters. This meaning that we have guys who will start over a few of these guys next year.

* I don't mean to start an arguement, but this is just my opinion......after watching Arod, I'm not only convinced that he will not be an immediate impact player, buthe may be a "project" to see time as a jr./sr.

watching him, you can see that he hasn't played a lot of football. He needs a tremendous amount of tecnique work, not to say strength and foot speed. May be a good player someday.

honestly I could see Arod starting right away as LT, didn;t we do that with Burkes before his problems?

and from what Ive heard about wat Qvale has been doing, I would be surprised to see him start either.

i cannot imagine arod starting at LT next year. hopefully better health will see a better year out of smith and williams. i do expect to see qvale be a serious contributor next year, though i'd be surprised to see him beat out henry at RG. sirles, coffey and ash will also be contributing. my biggest hope is that either marcel gets appreciably stronger and better or that sirles or coffey take RT from him.

it would be great to see arod or moody arrive ready to compete, but it's very unusual for a true freshman to be decent on the line. they have to be ready physically and mentally, and very few are both.

one thing is certain, it will be awfully nice to have some depth on the line. one of the problems this year is that our linemen rarely got a breather. the jones boys rotated at RT, meyer occasionally came in for henry and caputo played sparingly. hopefully the RSFRs are ready to play some minutes next year.

From the vids I saw on Coffey he had to get a ton stronger than he was in high school so hopefully he accomplished that. also ash was around 260 in high school so unless he put on 40 pounds and learned how to carry the weight in a year I wouldn't expect anything out of him. the two redshirt frosh I am counting on to contribute and take spots is Sirles (hopefully he takes Smith's spot at LT) and Qvale (i think he'll provide some very good depth and could possibly take either guard spot if they don't pick it up especially williams). I agree, very, very few o linemen come in as true frosh and contribute right away. I wouldn't expect that from either o lineman we have coming in. Hopefully Burkes comes back and he can hold down RT and Sirles improves and can hold down LT to get some big powerful o linemen in there.

From the vids I saw on Coffey he had to get a ton stronger than he was in high school so hopefully he accomplished that. also ash was around 260 in high school so unless he put on 40 pounds and learned how to carry the weight in a year I wouldn't expect anything out of him. the two redshirt frosh I am counting on to contribute and take spots is Sirles (hopefully he takes Smith's spot at LT) and Qvale (i think he'll provide some very good depth and could possibly take either guard spot if they don't pick it up especially williams). I agree, very, very few o linemen come in as true frosh and contribute right away. I wouldn't expect that from either o lineman we have coming in. Hopefully Burkes comes back and he can hold down RT and Sirles improves and can hold down LT to get some big powerful o linemen in there.

I think I read that Ash was around 285 by the time he came to NU, that 260 number was from the Summer prior. I also recall, but can't find, a story that ran a month ago or so where Cotton was giving Ash high praise. I think it was Ash, we could see him push his way into the 2-deep next season also. At the very worst the O-Line will be better.

it will have been roughly two years since these guys played in high school, including about 14 months on campus. i'm willing to bet they've put on some muscle. it would be awesome if burkes came back, but i wouldn't hold your breath. we don't seem to have had much luck with OL health over the years.

Coffey started filling-in his immense height his senior year. He was gawky before. Went from 270lbs to 290 and made all Dallas/Ft Worth first-team which is a pretty big deal. He and Qvale were supposed to be looking damn good before they got hurt.

Thats really good to hear about Ash and Coffey. Come to think of it, maybe the film I saw was of his junior year when he looked really weak. I think its obvious that we need an overhaul at o line. These guys we had this year couldn't consistently push back any team we played this season and that includes any of the sun belt teams we played. I'm especially excited about Qvale. At 6'7 330 lbs and a bball player he should be able to move some guys around a hell of a lot better than any of them did this season.