QB in Holiday Bowl

HANC

I know Lee did awful against Texas.

I still say Green does worse. With Green, you may as well just never pass right now. I know Lee is just not cutting it in games, but Green is far from ready, and it's not because he hasn't been given time to play, it's because he hasn't been given time to redshirt and develop that area of his game. And that's nobody's fault, really, except for maybe the coaches who rushed Spano back.

Green can and will be a great QB, but he doesn't give us the shot now.

You put Green in against that Texas D all game, and his final state line is 1-of-7, 2 picks, 5 yards. Because we don't bother asking him to throw more than that. Not a knock on Green, but a year ago he was running vanilla offenses against Texas high schools. He'll get it in time.

Yeah, I know it's bad guys...but it can always be worse.

I will add one thing though, if Lee has lost the team and they won't play for him like they will play for Green, that's when you have no choice but to go with the youngster. Leadership is a lot. But that's something we have a very limited read on, as fans.

Lee.

There is WAY that Green can be worse.

If we start Green we will be running the ball 85% of the time. We may do so regardless but the times we throw, he can't be counted on to make a play through the air. Lee at least gives us a prayer in that department right now.

Really? I guess you didn't watch the Texas game. :dunno

Or any defense with a pulse...except Oklahoma. Our offense was so conservative that game trying to keep Lee from making a mistake that I would wager half the guys on this board could run it.

I seriously hold my breath every time Lee drops back to pass. I mean, you would like to think that someone at the quarterback position would get better over the course of the season, but Zac "the Sack" Lee has been consistently dreadful.

I really don't think that there is anyway Green/LTW could do worse.

:rant

I still say Green does worse. With Green, you may as well just never pass right now. I know Lee is just not cutting it in games, but Green is far from ready, and it's not because he hasn't been given time to play, it's because he hasn't been given time to redshirt and develop that area of his game. And that's nobody's fault, really, except for maybe the coaches who rushed Spano back.

You put Green in against that Texas D all game, and his final state line is 1-of-7, 2 picks, 5 yards. Because we don't bother asking him to throw more than that. Not a knock on Green, but a year ago he was running vanilla offenses against Texas high schools. He'll get it in time.

I will add one thing though, if Lee has lost the team and they won't play for him like they will play for Green, that's when you have no choice but to go with the youngster. Leadership is a lot. But that's something we have a very limited read on, as fans.

Maybe if we give him a chance he'll prove you wrong?? We know what we're getting with Lee. I would be willing to take the risk given how well our defense is playing.

The way I see it the arguments against Lee are mostly summed up by "we're frustrated by his play, ANYONE would be better."

@beanman, maybe Green goes in and stinks up the joint too? What then?

Objectively looking at it, Lee is a talent who knows how to make the throws but has had a very, very rough time of it in games. Green is a future talent who isn't ready yet. I notice nobody is seriously clamoring for LTW because you'd really have to be kidding then. I am saying Green, based on ability alone, isn't ready for that shot. I mean, really, does nobody remember what the "spark" we were all looking for managed against Oklahoma?

I'm just unimpressed with the "Player A has done really poorly, therefore Player B must be able to do better." Very, very specious argument.

The way I see it the arguments against Lee are mostly summed up by "we're frustrated by his play, ANYONE would be better."

Objectively looking at it, Lee is a talent who knows how to make the throws but has had a very, very rough time of it in games. Green is a future talent who isn't ready yet. I notice nobody is seriously clamoring for LTW because you'd really have to be kidding then. I am saying Green, based on ability alone, isn't ready for that shot. I mean, really, does nobody remember what the "spark" we were all looking for managed against Oklahoma?

I'm just unimpressed with the "Player A has done really poorly, therefore Player B must be able to do better." Very, very specious argument.

Then re-insert Lee. How much of a risk is it really? If he sucks after a couple series big deal. Our D has been awesome this year, especially following our offensive turnovers. I'm not suggesting he be kept in the entire game if he is rattled early, what I am suggesting is that he is given a chance. I'm done with this argument. Good night.

why cant they just put the 3rd stringer in a play just to see what he can do? I mean he can't be any worse than Lee so why not just try him.

Technically Lee is our 3rd string, with Witt leaving and Spano getting hurt he got thrown into the 1st position. Green would be our 4th. But all in all your right, Washington couldn't do any worse either, and no I'm not being sarcastic.

Then re-insert Lee. How much of a risk is it really? If he sucks after a couple series big deal. Our D has been awesome this year, especially following our offensive turnovers. I'm not suggesting he be kept in the entire game if he is rattled early, what I am suggesting is that he is given a chance. I'm done with this argument. Good night.

The thing to look at, is what's the expected value of doing that?

Probability A: See Oklahoma. Green struggles to get anything going. We don't get first downs.

Probability B: Green breaks even approximately with how Lee would perform.

Probability C: Green sparks the offense and Nebraska churns up the points and yards.

Same O-line, same receivers, and a QB who is not close to up to speed yet, talented as the young man is. I place probability C at somewhere around 5%. In that case, it's not worth it. But you may see that percentage as something much greater. That's where we may disagree.

I don't think our offense is broken. Our offense is just bad, we don't have very good players. There is no sense in exchanging a bad part for a even worse part.

BTW are we really back to calling for zone reads and speed option again? That is surprising to me.

Lee was at worst a 2nd string QB, by the way. No way Spano started the spring ahead of him. He and Witt were neck to neck at #1. Back when Witt left in fact, everyone said that it was clear what direction we were moving in and Witt was going to get left in the dust. Funny how things change now that people want it to.

I think it was Menelik Holt, but I'm not for sure, that was a member of a facebook group titled "Cody Green is Our Quarterback" or something along those lines.

The question I have is what would the season be like if Kody Spano was healthy and started or at least played a little this year. I wonder what this offseason is going to be like for the Qb's.

Anyway, to answer the question I hope that Green gets some playing time and even starts against Zona. He got the chance to start against Baylor but I say give him one more. It's not like Zac Lee is going to do something great in the game.

The question I have is what would the season be like if Kody Spano was healthy and started or at least played a little this year. I wonder what this offseason is going to be like for the Qb's.

Anyway, to answer the question I hope that Green gets some playing time and even starts against Zona. He got the chance to start against Baylor but I say give him one more. It's not (like?) Zac Lee is going to do something great in the game.

agreed, he has had more than enough chances to prove himself. on to the next.