Congress again looking at College Playoffs

HuskerTrucker

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4727426 and http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4725887

With 4 teams being undefeated, Congress is once again looking at forcing the NCAA into a playoff system instead of the BCS Bowl system.

They are looking at the money that goes to the teams from the BCS Conferences vs. the money that goes to the teams that are not in a BCS Conference. The differences are huge, and Congress is talking about yanking the anti-trust exemption from the NCAA unless they come up with a playoff for National Champion.

They are also looking at how the game with Texas and Alabama is viewed as the "major league championship" and the game between TCU and Boise State game is viewed as the "minor league championship" game.

IMHO it is time for the NCAA to man up, and come up with a playoff system. I would rather be watching TCU playing Alabama for the NC, and Boise State getting stuck playing Texas. Or Boise State getting a shot at Alabama and Boise State playing Texas, either way. I don't think Texas deserves a shot at the NC after how they played Nebraska - a team without an offense, and almost lost, maybe should have lost.

It will be interesting to see if this thing grows legs, or just dies. My bet, it will just die once again a quiet death. It will take a major team to get screwed in this process before Congress will force the NCAA to do something about this crappy system. The NCAA thinks it is the best they can come up with, but everyone knows better - it is more about the money. The people that run the bowls want to be able to hand pick the teams the get into their Bowl, and much of the decision is based on the "Has Fans That Travel With" rule. That leaves out teams in the middle of no-where that haven't got that large of a fan base - like an Boise State.

i dont like playoff, and here is what it boils down to. you could end up with say, a 2 loss regular season team going on a run and winning it all (depending on how things were set up it could be worse, like 4 loss). meanwhile an undefeated regular season team loses in the first round. I know, I know, if you lose you lose, blah blah blah. But you think it wouldn't end up like the pros where teams with locks take games off?

I just don't see an easy way around it. Even if you do a +1 game this year it doesn't necessarily settle anything. BC what if the games had been swapped?

i dont like playoff, and here is what it boils down to. you could end up with say, a 2 loss regular season team going on a run and winning it all (depending on how things were set up it could be worse, like 4 loss). meanwhile an undefeated regular season team loses in the first round. I know, I know, if you lose you lose, blah blah blah. But you think it wouldn't end up like the pros where teams with locks take games off?

I just don't see an easy way around it. Even if you do a +1 game this year it doesn't necessarily settle anything. BC what if the games had been swapped?

But if a two loss team can even get into the playoffs...like say Nebraska getting in this year if they would have beat Texas, as an automatic qualifier as a Conference Champion, and then goes on to beat everyone else, I would have no problem with a 3 loss team being NC if they actually played the "somebodies" to get there.

In a playoff there would be only teams that supposedly are good teams, so SOS goes out the window once your in the playoff. The system could use a seeding system, where a supposed weak team like Nebraska would be seeded very low and have to play one of the top teams right off. In my mind this would be better than relying on the politics involved in this stupid BCS polling system.

The money situation is something else that needs to be resolved. The way it is now, the rich get richer, the poor just stay poor.

But if a two loss team can even get into the playoffs...like say Nebraska getting in this year if they would have beat Texas, as an automatic qualifier as a Conference Champion, and then goes on to beat everyone else, I would have no problem with a 3 loss team being NC if they actually played the "somebodies" to get there.

In a playoff there would be only teams that supposedly are good teams, so SOS goes out the window once your in the playoff. The system could use a seeding system, where a supposed weak team like Nebraska would be seeded very low and have to play one of the top teams right off. In my mind this would be better than relying on the politics involved in this stupid BCS polling system.

The money situation is something else that needs to be resolved. The way it is now, the rich get richer, the poor just stay poor.

if that were the way it was, most likely we rest people and lose to Colorado, making us a 4 loss team winning it all? come on.

ALL playoffs are about being the hot team at the right time, no matter what sport. I think each conference needs to have a championship game first of all, but if not, take the winner of each conference. There's twelve teams. Then have four "at-large" bids and there ya go, 16 team playoff. Now the non-BCS schools have a shot. It adds games, but maybe you shorten your non-conference schedule. That's just what I think would work.

Leave it to the government to say something is not fair. I can just see congress saying "Hey Dr. Tom, I really think you earning those national championship rings are great and all but other teams don't have them. Why don't you share one with Iowa State?"

Government has a few BIG jobs to handle. College football is not one of them.

That's the beauty of a playoff in that you get a true National Champion, instead of a Mythical National Champion. Right now it's more of a popularity award to get into the MNC rather than an earned award.

And no - the season is not a playoff and shouldn't be confused as one.

We need to keep this idiot congress out of college football before they advocate that players over 300 pounds breathe too much harmful carbon dioxide into the air and ban them as hazards to the environment.... dry.gif

Totally agree. This is not their place, but I am not surprised. Look who we have in the House and the Senate: Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the far lefties. They want to have their finger in everything. Stay out!

That's the beauty of a playoff in that you get a true National Champion, instead of a Mythical National Champion. Right now it's more of a popularity award to get into the MNC rather than an earned award.

And no - the season is not a playoff and shouldn't be confused as one.

Exactly.

Right now, it's who people "think" is the two best teams. Some of it is decided on the field, but then some of it is decided in people's opinions.

The only thing about the playoffs is that pretty much nobody wants to get rid of the bowl games and they don't want the NCAA football season to become all about the post season like it is in the NFL. Nobody cares about the regular season in the NFL because if you make the playoffs, that's all that matters. If you made a playoff system, I think 16 teams is far too many. 8 would be a little more realistic if you want to keep the regular season important AND find a way to get everybody that gets 6 wins to a bowl game.