Turner Gill top candidate for KU job

UB's Gill a top candidate for Kansas job

BuffaloNews.com

By Rodney McKissic

News Sports Reporter

Updated: December 11, 2009, 11:42 AM / 2 comments

University at Buffalo football coach Turner Gill is one of the leading candidates to become the next coach at the University of Kansas, The Buffalo News has learned.

A decision on who becomes the Jayhawks' next coach could come as soon as Sunday, according to sources. The other candidates are believed to be Stanford's Jim Harbaugh and East Carolina's Skip Holtz.

Kansas Athletic Director Lew Perkins asked to speak with Gill last Friday and a source said the two met in New York City last Sunday.

Gill has a career record of 20-30, the most wins by a UB coach since Bill Dando coached at the school from 1977-89 (58-65-1).

rmckissic@buffnews.com

What is taking them so long? Notre Dame took care of business quickly. What is Kansas waiting for?

They had Harbaugh and Holtz amongst others on the list. Unless they are waiting to talk to them first before a decision is made, but I have an awful feeling in my stomach it will be Gill.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy for him, but it will make me sick that NU will have to play against him.

I hear Cincinnati and Gill are interested in one another. Cincy would be a better fit than would KU. Why? Easier conference to win, good recruiting pool, lower win expectations ect......

I think I would rather see Gill at Cincy simply so he wouldn't have to work under Lew Perkins. After what Perkins did at WSU, the his witch hunt at KU, I wouldn't want to see Gill have to go through that.

I hear Cincinnati and Gill are interested in one another. Cincy would be a better fit than would KU. Why? Easier conference to win, good recruiting pool, lower win expectations ect......

Expectation will be much lower at KU. If he goes to Cincy he is taking over for a coach that had 2 conference titles in 3 years, 3 straight 10 win seasons, and a record of 34 - 6. At KU he is taking over for a program that is a disaster. Mangino was fired after his rumors and a record at KU of 50 - 48. In his 8 year he one the north once.

Mangino first three years does not come close to what Kelly did in his 3. KU is a basketball school. If Gill just finishes consistently between 2nd - 4th in the North it will be much more successful. Cincy fans will be expecting BCS every year.

Question: Other than "family" why the heck would Harbaugh leave Stanford for KU?

I understand the academic standards at Stanford, but c'mon.....California (recruiting/weather), rivalry with Pete, success this year, no competition from basketball (on regular basis)......

I don't get it.

Question: Other than "family" why the heck would Harbaugh leave Stanford for KU?

I understand the academic standards at Stanford, but c'mon.....California (recruiting/weather), rivalry with Pete, success this year, no competition from basketball (on regular basis)......

I don't get it.

Probably for his wife since she's from Kansas City. They're both from the Midwest, so they'd be closer to their families.