Turner Gill top candidate for KU job

I can't believe Illinois and Maryland don't have openings. One of those could've been good for Gill. Illinois could be hard to get but I could definitely see Maryland.

I don't think Gill is up for Cinci but he could get whatever job the new Cinci guy leaves. Houston or ECU would be still be nonBCS but definitely an upgrade from Buffalo.

Perkins denies any offers

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Athletic director Lew Perkins says he has not offered the vacant Kansas coaching job amid reports that the school is negotiating with Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh.

Perkins has been interviewing candidates to replace Mark Mangino, who resigned under pressure after an investigation into his treatment of players. Perkins is known to have talked to Buffalo coach Turner Gill and Mississippi coach Houston Nutt.

Perkins issued a statement Friday insisting he would not comment on unsubstantiated reports. He added, "Having said that, I will reiterate at this time that the process is ongoing. We have not offered the head coaching position to anyone."

A school spokesman declined to say whether Perkins was negotiating with any candidates.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Just in case this get's lost. Further evidence of a "Nutt" job (no Tiger).

From Twitter:

Tom Dienhart:

I am hearing Jim Harbaugh is NOT coming to Kansas. Turner Gill may be on deck. Skip Holtz, Kevin Sumlin and Butch Jones also are options.

I've been hearing that too. Throw Tim Brewster into the mix also.

If they are looking at Gill to be the head coach:

1. Will he be able to raise money?
  2. How does he fare against the Basketball program which is the dominate horse on campus?

I think what also may have been Mangino's undoing at KU was the animus he was creating between the basketball program and the football program. He turned it into an us versus them environment in the locker room, which possibly could have contributed to the altercations between the football and the basketball players this year.

2. How does he fare against the Basketball program which is the dominate horse on campus?

I think what also may have been Mangino's undoing at KU was the animus he was creating between the basketball program and the football program. He turned it into an us versus them environment in the locker room, which possibly could have contributed to the altercations between the football and the basketball players this year.

I think your No. 1 point is most significant too. Rumors swirl that the reasons the witch hunt started was that Perkins had no faith in Mangino being able to offer an assist in raising the 34 million that they need for their new skybox addition.

I think your No. 1 point is most significant too. Rumors swirl that the reasons the witch hunt started was that Perkins had no faith in Mangino being able to offer an assist in raising the 34 million that they need for their new skybox addition.

I had heard from a relative of mine, who was a student there, Mangino had rubbed some of the big money boosters the wrong way, and Perkins always had to clean up the PR disasters Mangino caused with them.

• 3 weeks later...