Should we bolt for the Big 10?

craigsker

I wouldn't mind leaving the Big 12. The whole league is Texas' anyway. They always whine until they get their way on every single issue. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 12 title being played in Austin annually within the next 5 years.

We move to the Big 10, and have an east/west division with:

West- Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin

East-Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue

You'd have 3 powers in each division.

I'm sorry, but who are the other two "powers" in your West Division?

:snacks:

I wouldn't mind leaving the Big 12. The whole league is Texas' anyway. They always whine until they get their way on every single issue. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Big 12 title being played in Austin annually within the next 5 years.

We move to the Big 10, and have an east/west division with:

West- Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin

East-Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue

You'd have 3 powers in each division.

I'm sorry, but who are the other two "powers" in your West Division?

:snacks:

Iowa and Wisconsin are at least traditional powers. They may not be Nebraska level, but then again, Nebraska isn't exactly Nebraska over the last 10 years.

back during the big 2...cough, 8 i mean. Nebraska never played anyone other than Oklahoma and a couple times CU or KSU was good but rarely.

Nebraska was elite at that time, yes, not arguing that, BUT it helped only having to worry about OU most of the time, and again, we lost, most of the time to OU.

either way, its pointless because ignorance is not reversible therefore I can't convince you that you are wrong.

I hope someday we do change conferences where there is no Texas exposure and watch us go from being "great" or "good" to being on the level of Michigan State/Wisconsin.

I wish I could be wrong about this, but i'm not. Sorry.

for the record, I would take 8-4 in the big 12 over 10-2 in the big10 and be laughed at when losing a bowl game and being called overrated like IOWA.

You still aren't right. You are just delusional. You do know the Big 12 is really down this year right? Nobody was really dominant. I will be laughing all night when Alabama rips apart Texas. TBH there isn't a bowl that the Big 12 is in that is automatic win.

Also you do know that Iowa won their bowl last year right? might want to do fact checks before making stupid statements.

I wasn't referring to last year, I'm referring to the future where Iowa will get blasted by GaTech. If you want me to change the team by year sure ok.

Team followed by record before their BCS bowl game, and any college football fan sure should remember what happened in those bowl games of the teams that i'm listing. ALL blowouts the 1 exception is OSU of 08

2006 - Ohio State (12-0) AND Michigan (11-1)

2007 - Ohio State (11-1) AND Illinois (9-3)

2008 - Penn State (11-1) AND Ohio State (10-2)

2009 - ???? no one knows yet we know that Iowa (10-2) plays GaTech, and Ohio State (10-2) plays Oregon. Both teams could make a statement for the Big10 but its not gunna happen. I honestly don't think that Oregon will blow out OSU but I don't think Iowa even stands a chance against GaTech...we'll find out.

Bottom line, Big 10 sucks. 0-6 in the last BCS Bowl games. Haven't won a BCS game since 2005 when Penn St (10-1) beat a less than deserving 8-4 Florida St conference champion, and that game went into 3 OT's. The other Big 10 team that won was Ohio State (9-2) beat a 9-2 Notre Dame team that played absolutely no one all year and STILL had 2 losses, and that game was still only a 2 possession game

We shouldn't even have a discussion about Nebraska changing conferences, it would be a big step down from where we are at in the BIG 12. So I'll throw aside recruiting, and start bashing on the Big10 and how deep it is not.

Ohio State is really the class of the conference alone as of recently. after that you got...

Penn State just a pinch below

Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa - your basic middle of the road big 10 teams on a yearly basis in terms of recently, some have had better than normal years but as an average they are about just that...average.

Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota - These guys are just plain bad usually, the only one that could be taken out of this is MAYBE northwestern.

So basically the big 10's best team (Ohio State) would finish 7th in the Pac-10, right behind...oh...yea thats right the team that beat them earlier this year, USC!

So now my question is this, would you rather play in the big-10 and be 10-2 end a week early every year and get no respect or would you rather play in the big 12 and win the north at 9-3 every year and have a shot at winning a conference title and get the respect we deserve like we did this year? That is basically the question Nebraska would have to ask itself, regardless of recruiting...

I say that there's no way NU would be as competitive if they moved to the Big 10. Our talent level would be roughly the equivalent to 'Sconsin, Michigan State, Iowa, and Indiana. Just like these schools, Lincoln is geographically very isolated. Thank goodness we play a lot of southern states teams which helps our recruiting tremendously.

I would figure it would be on the lower end of the Big 10 talent scale, simply because our recruiting in Texas and the other southern states would almost dry up, not counting the occasional odd recruit.

The Big 10 is the 4th best conference in the country AT ITS VERY BEST. Remember, they won exactly ONE (1) bowl game last year.

It ain't much. Their saving grace is that they mostly play EACH OTHER so the conference isn't exposed until New Years. By the next year, all of the poll voters forgot how much they sucked.

I say that there's no way NU would be as competitive if they moved to the Big 10. Our talent level would be roughly the equivalent to 'Sconsin, Michigan State, Iowa, and Indiana. Just like these schools, Lincoln is geographically very isolated. Thank goodness we play a lot of southern states teams which helps our recruiting tremendously.

I would figure it would be on the lower end of the Big 10 talent scale, simply because our recruiting in Texas and the other southern states would almost dry up, not counting the occasional odd recruit.

The Big 10 is the 4th best conference in the country AT ITS VERY BEST. Remember, they won exactly ONE (1) bowl game last year.

It ain't much. Their saving grace is that they mostly play EACH OTHER so the conference isn't exposed until New Years. By the next year, all of the poll voters forgot how much they sucked.

agree 100%

The fact that this thread has gone on this long, and garnered this much discussion, is a bit mind boggling.

Why don't we just break everything down like the NFL and have 15 or 20 teams in say 4 divisions, and relegate the lower 40 teams in D1 to the lower level and allow the conference winners in the lower division move up like the do in european soccer leages

:sarcasm

The fact that this thread has gone on this long, and garnered this much discussion, is a bit mind boggling.

Why don't we just break everything down like the NFL and have 15 or 20 teams in say 4 divisions, and relegate the lower 40 teams in D1 to the lower level and allow the conference winners in the lower division move up like the do in european soccer leages

:sarcasm

You say that with sarcasm, but that's not a horrible idea. It's a far sight better idea than leaving the Big 12 for the Big 10 or Independence.

College football's top division has WAAAAAY too many teams. It's unwieldy to try to sift through 120 teams to pick two who are most deserving of playing for the title. With legislated parity like we have with the schollie limits, we HAVE TO have a playoff.

College football is heading toward a reckoning. The Feds are already poking around the fringes. With the kind of money involved in this sport, it's almost inevitable that the Justice Dept. will end up getting involved (not just the poseurs in Congress), and if that happens, there's no way this system as it exists today will survive scrutiny under the Sherman Act. Then they'll have to change, and if it's legislated it'll be a disaster.

"Jeff from Lansing, Mich., writes: If the Big Eleven is really going to look at expanding to 12 teams, how is Pittsburgh not the top choice? A natural rival for Penn State, geography fits perfectly, Michigan State had a nice series with them a few years ago, quality Stadium, quality city/campus.Beyond football, they have a good basketball program and really fit the Midwest type feel of the Big Ten.What more could the Big Ten want?

Deric from San Diego writes: I think that the Big 10 should go after Nebraska if they are unable to add Notre Dame. Omaha which is Nebraska's largest city borders Iowa so you would have a natural rivalry. That might also help with the separation of the divisions by West and East. Getting a storied program like Nebraska would create a lot of buzz. Pitt would also be a good fit but Syracuse wouldn't do a lot for the conference football wise."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/8...debate-heats-up

we couldnt ask for a better set up then we have now in the big 12. if bo can get us back to where TO had us(i'm talking in the 70'2 and 80's not mid 90's levels) we should play for the conference title most years.

a move to any other conference would be the folly of all follies, and one we would look back on for the next century and ask "Why again did we do that?"

Tom Osborne once said "When you're successful, it's very easy to lose perspective."

Anyone that thinks the Big 12 doesn't deliver us the goods, and the thought that another conference would suit us better, has clearly lost perspective.