Should we bolt for the Big 10?

craigsker

TV would be a lot better in the Big 10, IMO. The ABC/ESPN contract guarantees that the regional Big 10 game will either be seen on ABC or ESPN. No more ESPN PPV. And the Big 10 network carries all Big 10 games, so no more Fox PPV for those early games. Every game on TV, in HD. Sounds good to me.

The coverages are only in limited viewing areas. Sure no PPV, but if you are not in an area that has that game, you are screwed as blackouts apply.

TV would be a lot better in the Big 10, IMO. The ABC/ESPN contract guarantees that the regional Big 10 game will either be seen on ABC or ESPN. No more ESPN PPV. And the Big 10 network carries all Big 10 games, so no more Fox PPV for those early games. Every game on TV, in HD. Sounds good to me.

The coverages are only in limited viewing areas. Sure no PPV, but if you are not in an area that has that game, you are screwed as blackouts apply.

I didn't see any game blocked due to blackouts. Can you give an example of a blacked out game?

The Big 10 has an agreement that if their game isn't in the region showing it on ABC, it is the ESPN game. That's unlike the Big 12, where if you aren't in the midwest-ish region, you won't see the game except on PPV, in SD.

The rest of the games are on the Big 10 network. Not everyone has that network, but I'd bet every cable company in Nebraska would carry it, and I have it through Dish. Maybe they didn't have all non-conf games, I didn't really notice, but it seemed to me that every game not carried by another network was on the B10 network.

If we ever DID leave the B12, I'd much rather see us go independent..Except it would probably be difficult filling out a schedule..It's nice having 8 games automatically on our schedule..and they cannot refuse to play us or back out without much notice like KSU has done recently (last year? to a PAC10 team?)..

We miss playing OU half the time now..If we went Independent, we'd be lucky to see them other than in a Bowl.

Right now, the Big Televen is about as competitive in Football as the Sunbelt Conference..So maybe we'd dominate at first.

But I'd also be concerned about switching recruiting bases like that.

The number of our recruits from Texas probably tripled since the Big-8 morphed into the Big-12...

Mostly due to the fact we'd be playing more of our games there..Lots of kids want to leave home and go far enough away that they can start over anew or just get away from overbearing parental units..But still be able to have them in the stands once or twice a year (within driving distance). Or have your old HS buddies or Girlfriends be able to make a game.

That's why I'd like us to schedule more (home & aways) with Fla and Calif schools..And bring back Arizona State to our schedule!

So we don't become the Univ. of Texas-Lincoln :sarcasm

2579.gif

I didn't see any game blocked due to blackouts. Can you give an example of a blacked out game?

The Big 10 has an agreement that if their game isn't in the region showing it on ABC, it is the ESPN game. That's unlike the Big 12, where if you aren't in the midwest-ish region, you won't see the game except on PPV, in SD.

The rest of the games are on the Big 10 network. Not everyone has that network, but I'd bet every cable company in Nebraska would carry it, and I have it through Dish. Maybe they didn't have all non-conf games, I didn't really notice, but it seemed to me that every game not carried by another network was on the B10 network.

Each individual cable company would have to strike their own deals with the Big 10 Network which from what I heard is not a real good one for the cable companies. ESPN/ABC has contracts with the Big 10 for conference games.

I'll use this map to clarify Big 10 Network regional coverages....

btn2008_week04_12n.gif

If you are a Penn St. fan in Ohio, you cannot view the Temple vs. Penn St. game because it isn't in your regional coverage area, so you will be stuck watching the Troy vs. Ohio St. game instead.

ESPN's Game Plan is also subject to black-out provisions because of revenue losses to the individual universities. No sellout = No viewing in the market area.

....we aren't going anywhere...this is just a stupid discussion...are we really that bored? :(

THANK YOU!

for the record, Husker_99. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I would be willing to bet my car, house and everything I own that if you went and asked all of the Texas kids on our roster and ask them if they would have come here if we were in the big 10? Ask them that if they had grown up through out high school without the nebraska exposure in the texas papers from Nebraska traveling there to play games. Ask them if they would have even known who we were? Do you ever read comments about recruits out in the far west or far east regions? When asked about leaders and who is recruiting them, when Nebraska pops up, alot of them will say "I don't know very much about Nebraska, but they've been recruiting me hard".....hmm. I wonder why that is? ITS BECAUSE WE DON'T GET EXPOSURE IN THOSE PLACES!

please tell me there are more educated people when it comes to recruiting on here...sorry that may have been a bit much, but i'm just a little PO'ed that you thought it was crap.

:rant

Screw all this conference BS and BCS. I say we go independent and take on Florida, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, and the likes every year! We could schedule Notre Dame as our cupcake opener, and then fight and grind our way through the toughest schedule on the planet every year until we are finally so damn tough and battle tested that no one will play us and we are awarded the National Championship by unanimous forfeit...

:koolaid2:

....we aren't going anywhere...this is just a stupid discussion...are we really that bored? :(

THANK YOU!

for the record, Husker_99. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I would be willing to bet my car, house and everything I own that if you went and asked all of the Texas kids on our roster and ask them if they would have come here if we were in the big 10? Ask them that if they had grown up through out high school without the nebraska exposure in the texas papers from Nebraska traveling there to play games. Ask them if they would have even known who we were? Do you ever read comments about recruits out in the far west or far east regions? When asked about leaders and who is recruiting them, when Nebraska pops up, alot of them will say "I don't know very much about Nebraska, but they've been recruiting me hard".....hmm. I wonder why that is? ITS BECAUSE WE DON'T GET EXPOSURE IN THOSE PLACES!

please tell me there are more educated people when it comes to recruiting on here...sorry that may have been a bit much, but i'm just a little PO'ed that you thought it was crap.

+1000000

This is so right.

Even considering a move to the Big 10 is ludicrous. Talk about a one way road to permanent irrelevance on the college football scene.

If you think we can recruit the southern states well by playing in the Big 10, you're delusional. No other Big 10 team does, and we wouldn't either. Our recruiting states would be Nebraska, the Dakotas, and maybe Missouri. NO PLAYER worth his salt from Texas, New Mexico, Lousiana, Colorado, etc. is going to want to play in the Rust Belt Conference. They don't now, and they won't ever. That's why the Big 10 SUCKS in football. They don't have the talent of the Pac 10, Big 12, and SEC. And won't ever.

We would become a Wisconsin with an "N" on the helmet faster than you can say "Suh."

Come'on guys. Let's use our brains a little here.

THANK YOU!

I would also bet you they know Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Mack Brown. How is it after year after year these coaches can reload and rarely have a bad season? Nebraska hasn't had a well known coach since T.O. Frank Solich and Bill Callahan are reasons why we haven't had the same talent in the last 10 years or so. I would guarantee you that they know Pelini better than those two. Course he probably wears his LSU national championship ring when he recruits. People move around so much they hardly stay in one spot. This isn't the 50's where nobody knows other teams outside their conference. yes there are more educated people than me when it comes to recruiting but don't sit there and tell me it's strictly the conference we play in which is the deciding factor when it comes to recruits.

Another idea that probably isn't too popular would be going independent like ND. That way we could schedule a yearly game with OU at will. ND would also be another option to play yearly as well.

We could follow the ND blueprint and try and negotiate a TV contract with FOX. Not Fox Sports, but FOX Network (NFL Sunday) since they don't show college football during the regular season, maybe they'd consider such a thing?

Just a thought.

THANK YOU!

I would also bet you they know Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Mack Brown. How is it after year after year these coaches can reload and rarely have a bad season? Nebraska hasn't had a well known coach since T.O. Frank Solich and Bill Callahan are reasons why we haven't had the same talent in the last 10 years or so. I would guarantee you that they know Pelini better than those two. Course he probably wears his LSU national championship ring when he recruits. People move around so much they hardly stay in one spot. This isn't the 50's where nobody knows other teams outside their conference. yes there are more educated people than me when it comes to recruiting but don't sit there and tell me it's strictly the conference we play in which is the deciding factor when it comes to recruits.

Grow a brain cell my friend.

Tressel's not a good example. He's good...in the Big 10. You can't compare the Big 10 to the Pac 10 or Big 12. The Big 10 won exactly ONE (1) bowl game last year. It's true that OSU dominates the Big 10, but for crying out loud, it's the Big 10. OSU is good (in the Big 10 that is) because they have the entire state of Ohio to recruit from. Cincy, Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton.

If NU moved to the Big 10, their recruiting would be limited to a few fly-over states. Yes, NU being in the Big 12 is ALL about recruiting. How many of our southern states boys do you think would be here if we were in the Rust Belt Conference? A fraction. That's how many. You going to fill up your roster with boys from Omaha and Bugaha? Good luck with that.

You look at the Big 10 teams that aren't near major population centers, they SUCK. Purdue, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa (yes, they suck). That's EXACTLY what NU would become. Obscure. Under-talented. No media exposure. Irrelevant.

The Big 12, and the constant exposure to the states of Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and TEXAS, is the best damn thing to ever happen to Nebraska. We just need to step up and win the conference.

This is dumb. Let's move on.