Should we bolt for the Big 10?

craigsker

The Big 11 is a substandard conference. Nebraska joining would be bad for us and should be avoided, if for no other reason than respect/prestige.

My goodness, how can a conference that features schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa be considered sub-standard? In basketball they have OSU, Michigan State and Indiana, if the Big 10 is sub-standard then what does that make us, Conference USA?

Why is everyone so down on the big 10? It's a solid conference. They beat up on each other like the SEC, big 12, ACC, Big east...pretty much all the conferences....I mean who decides which conferences are the best? If the big10 gets a 12th and adds a title game...less layoff before bowl season...don't be surprised to see more big10 teams representing the conference a little better in bowl season.

I'm just sick of the Texas12 and what is there left for us? Prestige? Yeah that title game sure made the conference look good....let's wait until the NT game and see where our prestige lies. Money...nope. Recruiting from the state of texass is the only thing. Sure i love the big8 schools and such but we lost the OU rivalry out of the deal (and been force fed colorado), we are in the joke division as far as everyone is concerned.

Why is everyone so down on the big 10? It's a solid conference. They beat up on each other like the SEC, big 12, ACC, Big east...pretty much all the conferences....I mean who decides which conferences are the best? If the big10 gets a 12th and adds a title game...less layoff before bowl season...don't be surprised to see more big10 teams representing the conference a little better in bowl season.

I'm just sick of the Texas12 and what is there left for us? Prestige? Yeah that title game sure made the conference look good....let's wait until the NT game and see where our prestige lies. Money...nope. Recruiting from the state of texass is the only thing. Sure i love the big8 schools and such but we lost the OU rivalry out of the deal (and been force fed colorado), we are in the joke division as far as everyone is concerned.

only thing people care about in that conference, is Joe Pa gonna retire, are they gonna fire Tressel, and why can't Rich Rodriquez win at Michingan...

There would be alot of positives if MU moved but I dont believe at this point its going to happen. Although I doubt it happens. The revenue alone for MU would be a huge boost over the current Big 12 deal. Having all the games on TV also would be nice. Just think NU fans. NO MORE PAY-PER-VIEW!!!!

The big 10 takes a really bad wrap from the NC games recently and some bowl performances. But when you really look at the Big 12, what the heck have we done recently. Outside of TX in 05 we havent been very good in our chances at a title. We were the conference that first lost to a BCS buster. We havent exactly been that great either.

The way I see it is the B12 caters to Texas schools (u of T more than anyone else), Oklahoma gets some favors. Nebraska is a step below all that, and then you get to the rest of the bunch. Mu has been done no favors. Forget just the last 3 bowl snubs, its what many see as a total lack of respect. Mu and the others play second fiddle to Nebraska in the North and you play second fiddle to everything in the south. The conference doesnt stand up for the north. Just this year between our two schools i can think of three issues. :01*, Mu bowl (again) and the MU womens soccer team who became the first ever conference winner to be left out of the NCAA tourney. In none of these situations has anything been done by our conference.

IF MU leaves, I am okay with it. If they stay I hope the B12 changes some things, (doubt it). But for now i will day dream about games in Camp Randall, The Big House, THe Horseshoe and Beaver Stadium. sure beats jack trice & bill snyder family

I certainly wouldnt be opposed to NU joining the Big10. Can you imagine getting to strap it up agianst Iowa every year, that would be a natural rivalry that many of us have been longing for years. Far better than that force fed CU crap. Also the conference would play host to the most storied programs in history. OSU, Mich, Penn St, NU that there is a hell of a line up. Penn State vs. NU day after thanksgiving or even Iowa vs. NU. We would get all of our games televised and we would take a dump all over the Big12 north. If ABC had a choice between showing NU vs Wis or MU vs Tech on a given weekend who are they going to choose. It will be NU every time.

There could be some draw backs at first as far as recruiting, but i dont think it is something we couldnt overcome, especially with Pelini's ties to Ohio and the places in the northeast. I think this is something NU should seriously consider.

Was listening to ESPN radio the Herd this morning and they were talking to a guy that covers the big 10 and he said that rutgers and some teams like NE and Mizzou in the big 12 north are the teams that they are looking at other than Notre Dame who they said wont leave because of their NBC deal.

I think the landscape of CFB is going to change pretty quick anyway, especially if Congress starts poking around. It might be beneficial to look at other options, it would be cool to be playing OSU, Michigan and Iowa on a yearly basis. They either need to restructure Div 1 or conferences will have to get larger to even out all the money that gets thrown around. It would be nuts if NU was in the Big 10 though...

Notre Dame is the only really viable choice for the Big 10. Sure, they can bandy about names like Missouri, Rutgers, Nebraska or whomever, but not one of those teams would make a splash like the Fighting Irish.

Notre Dame is a natural fit. They play similar styles of offense and defense to much of the conference, they already play 1/3 of the conference anyway, and they're geographically located in about the ideal spot for another school. Their fan base would assimilate very well and there's already an affinity on both sides (call it love/hate).

Yes, Notre Dame has that contract with NBC hanging over their heads, but despite the extension through 2015, I don't think either party would be too busted up about dissolving that contract. Ratings for Notre Dame's games have been dropping steadily over the last few years (with a spike this year, most likely prompted by news of Weis' imminent departure). Or, it also seems likely that an arrangement could be made where the NBC contract is allowed to play out, then drops off after 2015.

Notre Dame's status has declined steadily since their last MNC in 1988. They are having a difficult time competing with schools with lower academic qualifications, and they have been largely irrelevant in the past several years. Until last year they hadn't won a bowl game in nine straight tries, an NCAA record.

Bottom line is, the team that needs the Big 10 the most is Notre Dame. If they can't come to an agreement or simply have no interest, and the Big 10 expands, Notre Dame's decline will continue indefinitely. There's no way the boosters and army of fans want that.