Dr. Tom happy for Gill getting the KU job

Nexus

You're dreaming. Have you seen the OC & DC hires? They are going to be a damn good team.

I'm happy for Turner, and I think he'll do well at KU, but I'm unimpressed with the Torbush hire. I can't help but to think that he could have found a better DC. I think Long is a great hire for OC, though.

What advantage is there to having an African American coach?

He's less likely to throw a mid practice tantrum and tell a player that he's going to get sent back to Oakland to drink 40s with his homies.

Isn't that more of a stereotype than an advantage?

Well, considering that Mangino already did that, perhaps WC is just trying to say that Turner's personality does not lend itself to such antics?

I don't think his race has anything to do with it, he's just a classy, stand-up guy that will encourage such traits in his players.

I don't think black or white means anything - Football is all based on W's and L's as I understand it. :thumbs

I will be cheering for KU whenever they aren't playing us. Great to see another Husker Great proving that UNL isn't just about football but about success in life. I also welcome any team that can help the Big 12 North become stronger. I tire of hearing how weak the North is as an excuse why UNL doesn't deserve National Media.

As a Nebraska fan I love Turner Gill as much as anyone, but quite frankly I don't know if I'm sold on his coaching credentials.

If you study his years at Buffalo, he did win more games than years past, but not all that much more. He really only had one good year, but that year Buffalo was still probably the 5th best team in the MAC. He just happened to be in the weak half of the division.

Did anyone really see the game when Buffalo beat undefeated Ball St.? Might have been the biggest fluke of a game I've ever seen. Two ludicrous fumble returns for 40yd + touchdowns? 5 overall turnovers by Ball St., only one of them really forced? Call it opportunistic defense or whatever, but I honestly don't think they should get much credit for getting fumbles on 3 Ball St. botched snaps. Ball State TOTALLY controlled that game but it turned out to be Gill's signature win.

This year Buffalo is down in the dumps again. BTW, Mangino also had one totally sweet year when the won the orange bowl and everything, but other than that... well... I hope for Kansas's sake that history doesn't repeat itself. They just hired a coach who really only has one good year- more of a product of circumstance than coaching skill, in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong and Gill does a great job- he seems to have collected some solid coaches around him- but let's just say that as of now I'm not worried about Kansas overtaking the Big XII North.

im not too interested in race discussions. i could care less whether someone is black, or green, or invisible. that being said, im a realist, and i think its ignorant to believe there will not be positives/advantages for Turner being the only African-American coach in the Big XII. it does make a difference to some people, whether or not it doesnt to you. you dont think there will be a single recruit at some point down the line that will feel more comfortable with him? or that recruits parents? and thats perfectly fine with me.

edit: i want to make it clear that this also means i believe the opposite, that it will create unfortunate, ignorant negatives for him just as easily as the positives. such is life. but i think turner is the type of guy that is going to make the positives shine way more that the negatives.

Edited by mmmtodd