Dr. Tom happy for Gill getting the KU job

Nexus

LAWRENCE — It was 2007 when Tom Osborne had to make the tough call. He had to tell Turner Gill, a man he admires, a man who played and coached for him, a man he thought deserved a job, that he was hiring someone else.

"Probably the hardest decision I had to make, the hardest phone call I had to make was to tell Turner we were going to hire Bo Pelini instead of him," Osborne, the former Nebraska coach and current athletic director, said on ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

So when Osborne heard Gill, the fourth-year coach at the University at Buffalo, was a candidate to take over at Kansas, Osborne was rooting for him.

"There's no question that Turner really stood out," Osborne told The Topeka Capital-Journal on Saturday.

KU athletic director Lew Perkins obviously agreed.

Perkins is expected to announce Gill as the Jayhawks' 37th football coach within the next two days. Gill will replace Mark Mangino, who resigned under pressure Dec. 3.

When Gill takes over at KU, he will inherit a program that is bigger, brighter and shinier than the one Mangino took over in 2002. Kansas' facilities now are competitive with the best in the Big 12. The Jayhawks are only a few games removed from their last Top 25 ranking. They sell out more games than not.

Gill, with a 20-30 record and a Mid-America Conference championship to his name, finally will have the chance Osborne couldn't give him.

And Osborne will have reason to smile.

"I think a great deal of him," Osborne said less than an hour before news spread that KU was turning to Gill. "You just want good people to have good opportunities. I think he'd be a good choice and an excellent coach for Kansas."

http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2009-1...ooting_for_gill

I hope Kansas fans realized what just happened to them. They are in for some amazing times once Turner gets the thing off the ground. He won a championship at Buffalo with literally nothing to work with. It may take a season or two, but Kansas will aid Nebraska and Missouri in restoring some pride to the North.