What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

Texas, because of its sheer population and variety of industries, most certainly is loaded with cash.

But Nebraska is a direct beneficiary of this. We have a HUGE booster base in the state of Texas that rivals Nebraska, itself. Dan Cook is a stud NU booster and lives in the DFW area. There's plenty more.

And thankfully there are scholarship limits and UT can only offer 20 to 25 schollies per year at the most.

Yet there are 200 to 300 players in Texas each year that are high school seniors that can make a big splash in D-1.

I'd like to see NU at the very top of their list if UT doesn't offer. Pelini is getting us there. Occasionally, we'll even get a Burkhead that gets offered by UT but says "thanks but I'm going to be a Husker". Gotta love that.

Playing Texas to the last second in the Jerry Dome, plus kicking some tail in College Station next year, is going to be huge for our program.

Let's let this Pelini era play out a little and I think we are going to appreciate the state of Texas a lot more. Jerry's place is going to be Memorial Stadium South in short order.

allow to state why I am pissed at this anti-Texas rhetoric...

1. I grew up in Texas and have always loved the Huskers. I couldn't afford the out of state tuition so I went to UT and graduated with a BBA. Some years later, I had the chance to enroll in NU's MBA program (distance) and I earned it.

2. I know how strong the roots are in Texas for Nebraska in terms of alums and fans, and it just pains me to see NU nation pick Texas apart like there is some conspiracy against NU. It makes me sad because my love for NU has spread to my entire family - my son wants to earn a scholarship at NU some day.

So this is an emotional deal for me, really. I think if NU left the Big 12 it would drive us into obscurity. Lincoln is geographically isolated and I hate that but it's a fact. It would be the same if we left for another conference, but our recruiting would suffer big time.

Those of you that don't live in Texas, I can tell you this state overall has huge respect for our NU program, and it saddens me to see this kind of talk.

I know it's just a message board, but it's still sad. Heck, me and my buddies have probably made 30 or more trips to Lincoln from Dallas up I-35 to see our Huskers. Austin itself has a huge NU alumni base.

So I'm sorry, but this just hits close to the heart for me guys.

Of course they have huge respect for us. They respect us for bending over and taking it just like they wanted us to. They got the conference they wanted, and they got everything set up just like they wanted in order to take over the conference and end up the "head" of the league. Yes, some of it was our own fault, but things have gotten even worse than anyone has expected.

I was watching 60 minutes(I think) the other night and they were discussing how Mack got his $5mil contract and how all the faculty were mad because the school is struggling financially. They talked to the AD and he said they made like $85 million last year from football, and they gave a whopping 6.5 million to the school. I don't remember what NU made from football last year but I think it was something like in the $60ish million area. Look how much more money they make than us!! Where do you think this money comes from?? TV, ads, commercials, and big money texas.

Those who say, ya well we have Buffet. Well Buffet is rich as hell, but he doesn't live and die Nebraska athletics and doesn't throw that much money to them. Now, on the other hand, there are many, many rich people in Texas, and many are huge UT football fans and give ALOT of money to them. When you add up all these people and their money we can't compete. Then on top of that, they get more money funneled to them secondary to tv and other conference things.

Sorry, but if people don't think there is a southern bias in our conference then you better take a harder look. You are the people who also would say ESPN doesn't have a bias towards the SEC and Tebow.

I dont think Buffet gives anything to football. I believe he donates to UNL as a whole. Berkshire on the other hand gives some but not huge dollars, I know they have a box, and at one time seats around the 50. Although Nebraska will never be able to compete with Texas in ways of money. They have so much wealth down there it boggles the mind. We compete by being some place special. Sell outs, positive fan support, "clean" living (or the image of it). The simple things will bring them here. Winning will feed the machine. Being beholden to a single donor, or even a group, is very dangerous, if we allow some of them to steam roll, say a coach, for indiscretions, it could cause waves in the system as a whole.

I dont think Buffet gives anything to football. I believe he donates to UNL as a whole. Berkshire on the other hand gives some but not huge dollars, I know they have a box, and at one time seats around the 50. Although Nebraska will never be able to compete with Texas in ways of money. They have so much wealth down there it boggles the mind. We compete by being some place special. Sell outs, positive fan support, "clean" living (or the image of it). The simple things will bring them here. Winning will feed the machine. Being beholden to a single donor, or even a group, is very dangerous, if we allow some of them to steam roll, say a coach, for indiscretions, it could cause waves in the system as a whole.

I agree, especially with the bold part. I tend to think (opinion) that Buffet knows this as well, and that's why he largely stays away from big money contributions to the athletic department.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Warren put a couple of dollars away for the Huskers in his Will. Bequeathed money won't (or shouldn't) make the program beholden to anyone. And it would jive with Buffet's philanthropic nature to do something like that. We'll have to see, 20 years from now.

A little late for that don't you think? Or are you one of the fans that believes Frank Solich's firing was completly Steve P's decision, and not in any way influenced by the NU boosters?

If you believe that, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I would love to sell you!

A little late for that don't you think? Or are you one of the fans that believes Frank Solich's firing was completly Steve P's decision, and not in any way influenced by the NU boosters?

If you believe that, then I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I would love to sell you!

Steve had an axe to grind against Solich from way back when he was on Osborne's staff long ago. The boosters may have been involved in Solich's firing, but Pederson didn't need any help in that regard.

There was some big booster who was all pissed off when we fired Callahan. Cook, maybe? Not sure, but there are always going to be boosters calling up the AD giving their opinion, and threatening to yank funds if they don't get their way. The trick is to not be led by the nose by these guys.

As for the arguments about the CCG being permanently located in TX helping NUs recruiting. How many recruits do you think are actually attending that game? Do you really think that the location of the game has any sway on where a TX H.S. player decides to attend school? I personally don't.

Think about it, if a kid is a FB player in TX, it's safe to assume that he already follows CFB closely, and more than likely the BIG 12 the closest, right? Well then if the kid is already following the conference, I would surmise that he is going to watch the CCG on T.V. with the rest of us. So why on earth would it matter where the game is played to him? He will still be watching the damn game! It's not as if NU is bringing along a dozen recruits to TX with them.

This whole idea that it actually benefits NU to have the game in TX every year is completely ridiculous!

As for the arguments about the CCG being permanently located in TX helping NUs recruiting. How many recruits do you think are actually attending that game? Do you really think that the location of the game has any sway on where a TX H.S. player decides to attend school? I personally don't.

Think about it, if a kid is a FB player in TX, it's safe to assume that he already follows CFB closely, and more than likely the BIG 12 the closest, right? Well then if the kid is already following the conference, I would surmise that he is going to watch the CCG on T.V. with the rest of us. So why on earth would it matter where the game is played to him? He will still be watching the damn game! It's not as if NU is bringing along a dozen recruits to TX with them.

This whole idea that it actually benefits NU to have the game in TX every year is completely ridiculous!

It's not ridiculous, and it's not a minimal impact. Having that game played right in their back yard brings immediacy to these kids. Playing in the biggest, coolest venue in the conference's neighborhood impresses these kids. Knowing that if they play for Nebraska they'll have a legitimate shot at the CCG every year where their family/friends can come watch them more easily also has an impact.

It's not ridiculous, and it's not a minimal impact. Having that game played right in their back yard brings immediacy to these kids. Playing in the biggest, coolest venue in the conference's neighborhood impresses these kids. Knowing that if they play for Nebraska they'll have a legitimate shot at the CCG every year where their family/friends can come watch them more easily also has an impact.

Does it have an impact, yes. Does it have a huge impact? I doubt it.

Besides we're talking about the difference between having the game in their backyard once every two years, or every single year. I just don't see this as an advantage for NU, or being a big factor in a recruits decision. And if it is, maybe they need to rethink their priorities a bit.

knapplc, you're starting to grow on me. I LOVE YOU MAN! :horns2

Besides we're talking about the difference between having the game in their backyard once every two years, or every single year. I just don't see this as an advantage for NU, or being a big factor in a recruits decision. And if it is, maybe they need to rethink their priorities a bit.

have fun telling that to an 18-year-old. :w00t

No, no, no. I wasn't talking about Solich when I wrote that. It came from talking to a colleague about something along the lines of what type of behavior, by coaching staff, should bring about either dismissal, or some other type of punishment, and whether or not that should be made public. I guess I used the conversation as an impromptu example.

My thought path is along the lines of Norte Dame, having very powerful donors, that seem to have coaches fired with a single phone call. I personally believe NU is fairly insulated from that situation, the athletic department raises around 2 million a year in donations, and that comes form a wide group giving in smaller amounts.

That is to say that the thought processes of an 18/19-year-old are logical, and we know that's not always so.

Is it "huge" or is it "minimal?" That's the big question, and I don't know if anyone has the answer.

Would I be concerned playing there every year? Not with a defense like this. I guess that's where I'm coming from.

What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

Wants from the University of Texas:

I don't ever want to hear the lame ass term "Don't mess with Texas" ever again.

I want them to stop playing their lame fight song at football games.

I want their band to stop wearing those lame uniforms.

I want them to return the 2009 BIG XII Championship Trophy to the University of Nebraska .......at Lincoln

I want them to give me $863,940.27, a 2010 Ford Mustang GT and 56 concubines. :ahhhhhhhh

Wants from the BIG XII:

I want them to find a way to hold the BIG XII Championship Game in all 7 states over a 7 year period. I don't care how they do it, like Nike they need to just do it!

I want every member of the BIG XII Board of directors fired and I want the hirings to be conducted by a panel of the BIG XII Athletic directors who each get one equal vote. Tie breaker to be decided by the popular vote of a panel of 7 random BIG XII Coaches. Football, Mens Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling, Womens Basketball, Softball, and Volleyball.

I want every BIG XII football Official given a thorough review at the end of this year. I want every remotely questionable call carefully scrutinized by the NCAA and a panel of the 12 BIG XII Coaches, each coach with an equal vote.With their recommendations I want referees fired. Tie breakers to be decided by one randomly selected BIG XII Athletic director. I want it made very clear to new BIG XII referee applicants that it is a preformance driven job and that they will be reviewed at the end of each year.

I want $5,987,510.98 A condo in Tokyo and box seats to every league game for life. :nutz

Thats a short list of very reasonable things that I want.. Thank you.