Osborne's comments on the Big 10 expansion

CornBall

They are more interested in MU than NU.

Agreed, the last thing the Big 10 wants is NU in their conference.

Nu doesn't want to be a part of that conference either.

If we are going to do a conference shuffle, then I do like the idea of:

North:

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Iowa State

South:

Texas

Texas Tech

Texas A&M

Houston

Baylor

TCU

Colorado can go to some other conference, I don't really care.

I hate that. We have too much Texas influence in the Big 12 today. Adding more Texas to the league would be a real bad move.

North:

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Iowa State

South:

Texas

Texas Tech

Texas A&M

Houston

Baylor

TCU

I hate that. We have too much Texas influence in the Big 12 today. Adding more Texas to the league would be a real bad move.

you mean you are upset that Texas would have their own southern half of a conference?

Seriously, why would that be a negative in your view?

I'm curious

No sour apples here. Just pointing out to the previous poster the his or her understanding of "tradition" was wrong. Tradition has nothing to do with just winning. It has to do with history.

There was a billboard here in Lincoln several years ago that said, "Every program has a history. Few have tradition."

Sure, MU has its share of tradition. I'm not going to try to take away from that. But if you're comparing your traditions to ours, you're fighting an uphill battle.

Most Academic All-Americans in Football

Most Academic All-Americans, all sports

NCAA Record Sellout Streak (ongoing)

The Blackshirts - one of the best traditions in all of college football, one of the most readily recognized as well

The Tunnel Walk

Legendary Coaches - Devaney & Osborne (few programs have one, let alone two legendary coaches)

Consecutive Bowl Appearances - 35 (NCAA Record)

Those are just what I can come up with off the top of my head. All of these are readily nationally known, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

Exactly.

Not to mention with the homecoming thing.. sure MU claims to be the creator of that, but hell, they even said on ESPN this year that multiple places claim to be the "beginning" of the homecoming tradition

We also have a lot of ties to the Big 12, something that Missouri doesn't have. We have a lot more football tradition (which is the main focus of this whole argument anyways) and we are more grounded in the conference than MU is.

Actually, if you trace the Big 12 back through the Big 8 and back to the Missouri Valley, only Mizzou and Kansas have been in since the beginning, with out interruption. Nebraska quit for a few years (don't know why...tired of getting butt kicked maybe?). So, since Mizzou has been playing football in conference the entire time, NU is LESS grounded and has LESS tradition.

But we do have more tradition of success, which is what we really mean when we say tradition. You can say any school that's been around a long time has tradition, but when people talk tradition in football they mean winning.

:nutz:corndance:rollin:yeah:w00t

I'm surprised no one else gave you props for this comment. People do associate tradition with success and rightly so. I mean, Notre Dame hasn't been a powerhouse in quite awhile, but no one would dispute they have rich tradition. I'm not trying to knock Mizzou, but "tradition" just isn't something I'd associate with their program. They haven't accomplished enough on a consistent basis to have that. Just my opinion.

I posted on the other thread:

Mizzou to the Big 10, CU to the MWC if the conference got BCS status, send OU/OSU to the North and add TCU and Arkansas to the South.

That would be alright, the Mountain West should move some of their successful teams to the Pac 10 so they can have a conference champ game also. Kind of do what the Conf USA teams did with the Big East after most of them moved to the ACC. :wacko::wacko:

I'm torn because losing missouri could make things interesting. Who do they replace them with? Could be a nice little mess and the texas12 deserves it.

If Missouri leaves, my best guess would be that TCU would be added and then they would restructure the conferences is a bit, possibly moving one of the Oklahoma schools up to the Big 12.

Where have they been Minor leagues? :lol:

Anyway if other conferences start cherry picking teams from Big 12 whats that say about the Big 12.

I could see the Pac ten then deciding that they need to keep up and going after CU then whats going to happen? Another Texas school like Houston or SMU? Might as well start calling the leagues SWC 12 <_<

North:

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Iowa State

South:

Texas

Texas Tech

Texas A&M

Houston

Baylor

TCU

How about we kick out Baylor, add TCU and Boise State/ Utah.

North:

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Iowa State

South:

Texas

Texas Tech

Texas A&M

Houston

Baylor

TCU

you mean you are upset that Texas would have their own southern half of a conference?

Seriously, why would that be a negative in your view?

I'm curious

Since just about all things Big 12 have shifted to Texas, do you think it's best for the league and the non-Texas schools/ programs to add two more Texas programs/ schools to the mix? I don't.