quarterbacks....

Hunter94

I know this might be stretching the post kind far now, but, has anyone thought about possibly Rex Burkehead as QB? He did play some QB in high school, and I see him much like an Eric Crouch.

With all do respect they will never do that. Rex might be put in the wildcat every once in awhile. But not as a starting QB.

Green is a true freshman. How many true freshman walk onto campus and start from day one at QB?

Of those true freshman starting QBs how many are complete studs and never show any immaturity???

I haven't made a single post about the offensive line all year, but I've got to say that they have been awful. I haven't been one to defend Zac Lee this year either, but I have to admit that it is pretty difficult to get into any sort of rhythm or have any confidence when the defenders were beating him to the backfield as he'd drop back. The line play was disgraceful.

Cody Green was a freshman, and wayyyyy too much has been made out of his performance on a thoroughly mediocre offense. If you look around Division I, I think you could say that all of the freshman qb's looked pretty bad--and they had far better lines in front of them than ours. Freshman qb's rarely do well anywhere.

Spano will be back; Green will mature, and who knows what Martinez might do. The talent is there. They just 1. need to be coached up on whatever philosophy that we're going to use, 2. need some production from their receivers, and 3. need some protection from the offensive line.

Lee could be a whole different player next season. So could Green.

With the way they have played this year, if we want to line our expectations up to that, they'd HAVE to become whole different players for next season.

So, nothing's impossible :)

Spano could also come back in if he recovers well.

LTW, Martinez, and Kellogg are just guys. Martinez should not be staying at QB.

Without every really seeing Spano play, I will put my money on the limited play we have seen out of Green. He is young and I expect will improve greatly. I hope we play him in the Holiday Bowl and take our lumps, what ever that may bring. Lets get him ready for next year. As for Lee...his ship has sailed. He has had his chance. His passing STINKS! Most defenses know this, and key on our run as he is zero threat with his arm. As for our O line as some have mentioned, INCONSISTENT pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered this, and I haven't seen anyone post a comment about it so I'm sorry if it has already been montioned. Next season A Mr. Joe Ganz will be a part of this staff, it's entirely possible he has a major impact coaching these QB's. It was said over and over the guy knew this system inside and out and was another coach on the field. I think he could really help since we don't have a real QB coach on staff. I haven't been very impressed with Watson's QB coaching so Ganz just might turn some lights on this off season. Who knows, just something to consider.

GBR

"Lee could be a whole different player next season."

:facepalm::ahhhhhhhh

see, but you're saying "Green could be a whole different player" like that is more believable.

Green's got a lot further to go. I suppose it's possible...but the only reason you are counting on this is not because it's a realistic hope, it's because you're not a fan of Lee.

I just looked at the games Green played in and i'm going to argue he didn't actually to as badly (IN A SOLO ROLE) as the offensive performance under his leadership suggests. Things went horribly wrong around him a good majority of the time, reflecting a bad performance on him alone.

Went right around him: (one example) Baylor 1st offensive drive, 3rd down and 5, pocket held long enough and he scrambled for 10 yards or so. Remember for this game Hickman was being changed out with injury, blitz was being picked up less in the second half and CG had a lot less time hence the bad score line. (But this is Baylor, not a Texas D i know)

Went wrong: Oklahoma, runs were looking like the Big 12 game, 2 yard dives into the pile, 2nd play of the game was a run fake QB scramble, a missed block on the outside left it for 2. Then a false start... A drop back draw play on 3rd and 11 wasn't going to get a first down with a shrinking pocket.

Continued: Next drive against OU, CG from center, option right, pitch, helu 6 yards and then a chop block penalty sends it to 1st and 24. He did fall over on the next option after missing a completely covered bootleg pass attempt. Shuffle pass to helu goes nowhere.

Next: Helu, Oline lets D through = -1 yards. Another FALSE START (Pelini's facial veins are now visible). Long pass out of bounds, CG fault. 3rd and 16, short slant route, 5 yards, not going to get a first down against OU from there.

3 flags, 3 drives, 3 3 and outs. I say give him a break on the complete failure. The long pass plays that SW throws in every now and then are just bad ideas to be doing it so often with inept passing QBs at the moment ie. Lee ints vs Texas, and then WTF calling it on the 4 yard line after 2 QB sneaks with CG.

He had a lot of plays from the shotgun, i think give him a chance to 'manage the game' (whatever) in the Bowl, give him big sets, under center like Lee had the remainder of the season, and maybe Lee's 3 yard dives from options will turn into something.

Still, i held by breath every time he began the motion to sling the ball down the field knowing he has a lot of work to do to be a better pocket passer. Nevertheless, he has a good attitude. I'm going to bet CG makes some worthwhile improvements by 2010.

I think folks are laying too much on the line. Lee and the wr's just aren't getting it done. Our pass-blocking really isn't too bad. But Zach has little feel for the rush, doesn't buy time in the pocket, doesn't tuck and run when he should, and doesn't go through his progressions. Plus he's not very accurate. Nobody has stepped-up as a go-to wr, there isn't one I really trust to make a catch. Holt should've at-least been able to step-in as a solid move-the-sticks guy but he's disappeared. Because of Lee and the wr's D's don't respect our passing-attack and stack the box. So even if the line does block decently there's still more guys nearby to make the tackle. An improved passing-game would open the run up more IMO

I'm not saying the line has been stellar, we don't knock teams off the ball like we should and win the war in the trenches. We could definitely be better. But IMO they aren't the primary culprit for our O being off.

I think folks are laying too much on the line. Lee and the wr's just aren't getting it done. Our pass-blocking really isn't too bad. But Zach has little feel for the rush, doesn't buy time in the pocket, doesn't tuck and run when he should, and doesn't go through his progressions. Plus he's not very accurate. Nobody has stepped-up as a go-to wr, there isn't one I really trust to make a catch. Holt should've at-least been able to step-in as a solid move-the-sticks guy but he's disappeared. Because of Lee and the wr's D's don't respect our passing-attack and stack the box. So even if the line does block decently there's still more guys nearby to make the tackle. An improved passing-game would open the run up more IMO

I'm not saying the line has been stellar, we don't knock teams off the ball like we should and win the war in the trenches. We could definitely be better. But IMO they aren't the primary culprit for our O being off.

I agree that while our OLine was marginal our qb play w/Lee was muich more incredibly inept. If I never see him run the option again it will be too soon. His passing is about as accurate as a howitzer. That SW was raving about him this spring is almost from the Twilight Zone. Our Wr's? Do they come to Lincoln with ready made hands of stone?

I still say it's asking too much for our OLine to excel in both run and pass blocking. Excel in one and be decent in the other is what TO's Oline did for decades. Our offense desperately needs an identity. Something they are comfortable and very competent with. Also something to recuit and develop players for.

I would still love to see us use a vicious fb.