SIGNED DT Kevin Williams

:thumbs

i'll tell you what.... our coaches sure do know how to find talent... they seem to find all the guys that slip through the cracks. Bo wasn't kiddin' when he said he recruited a class that is going to help us win a championship.... i'm willing to bet that the 2010/2011 classes will win us a championship, if not before then...

That is certainly an optimistic outlook. We really don't know how good any of Pelini's classes are going to be. The proof will happen on the field, and we just haven't seen enough to know yet.

IMO, Dennard, Gomes, Henry, and Burkhead have shown that they can be impact players. We have seen flashes from others, such as Kinnie and Meredith. The rest are largely unproven or are so green that they haven't shown much when they have gotten their chance (C. Green, Fisher, Compton, Bell). Only time will tell, but we certainly aren't the only ones with great coaches that know how to find talent; and quite frankly some of those great coaches are pulling in players that we really wanted but couldn't get.

Bingo. Some people thought Callahan's classes would win championships too. (Which could still happen I guess.)

I'm not saying we won't win championships. There is a lot involved. Schedule and luck have a fairly big say into how things shake out in most years (unless you are 95 Nebraska and just heads and shoulders better than everyone else). Heck, girlknowsfootball's female intuition could be correct and the 2010-2011 classes could be chock full of future all-Americans. I don't know about everybody else, but I try to keep my expectations in check. I'm just happy that we have strung together a couple of 9 win seasons and a Big XII North championship and people are talking about us being a power again.

But Callahan struggled to develop players, team chemistry, etc. But Pelini is really good at it.... and that in itself goes a long long way... I think Callahan's classes were quite possibly on paper better than Pelini's... but the difference is that Pelini knows how to develop these kids, build them, grow them, and turn them into a family. It's interesting to me that Callahan's recruits never seemed to go recruit other players... they oftentimes transfered, or deteriorated in their health while at the school. Some succeeded, but overall team chemistry and family was lacking. Players didn't trust each other, they showed up late to practice, and Suh has said that when he got there under Callahan, the team had a lot of clicks.

We're seeing recruits recruit, give the coaches film from kids they want to see come play to Nebraska... we see lots of current players loving the school... far less transfers... etc. etc. The overall passion for Nebraska football, team unity, accountability, work ethic, etc. is what leads me to believe we are on the verge of a Championship. Players are reaching out to new recruits and welcoming them in, kids are coming to compete and not to start as stars their freshmen year, it goes on and on. I'm not saying we will win a championship... but i'm saying that if we play to our full potential and mesh together there is a very very good chance we will be in one sometime in the near future.

Calm down. Wait and see. There is nothing but potential at the moment . . . none of these kids have proven a damn thing at the college level. Will some pan out? Probably. Will some be busts? Probably.

Note that your post said that Pelini is great at finding talent and now you are changing the argument to Pelini is great at developing talent.

And you'd be wrong about Callahan's players not going out to recruit other players. They did do that. Blaine Gabbert stands out as one in particular who recruited very hard for Nebraska.

It's amazing what a 9 and 10 win season can do to foster a passion for the school. Winning fixes almost everything.

What's there to calm down about? haha. We're just having a healthy discussion on a discussion board. That's what this thing is for right? Fun conversations concerning theoretical and actual topics concerning UNL? I enjoy hearing your argument and your stuff man, it's good stuff!! :)

With that said, I would have to respectfully disagree with your statement above. Blaine Gabbert never came to Nebraska... he committed and then de-committed. Most of the players he "recruited" he recruited before he came to the university, and several of those never signed. The players I was referring to in my post above are those who are currently at Nebraska... Taylor Martinez, Eric Martin, Andrew Green, Mike McNeill, etc.

Also I would also disagree that I changed my argument, I would argue that I merely added to it. I believe Pelini is a great talent finder and a great talent developer. He's both.

But I definitely agree that 9-10 win seasons definitely change people's views and foster people's passions for a school. I think you're dead on there!! :madash

i'll tell you what.... our coaches sure do know how to find talent... they seem to find all the guys that slip through the cracks. Bo wasn't kiddin' when he said he recruited a class that is going to help us win a championship.... i'm willing to bet that the 2010/2011 classes will win us a championship, if not before then...

That is certainly an optimistic outlook. We really don't know how good any of Pelini's classes are going to be. The proof will happen on the field, and we just haven't seen enough to know yet.

IMO, Dennard, Gomes, Henry, and Burkhead have shown that they can be impact players. We have seen flashes from others, such as Kinnie and Meredith. The rest are largely unproven or are so green that they haven't shown much when they have gotten their chance (C. Green, Fisher, Compton, Bell). Only time will tell, but we certainly aren't the only ones with great coaches that know how to find talent; and quite frankly some of those great coaches are pulling in players that we really wanted but couldn't get.

Bingo. Some people thought Callahan's classes would win championships too. (Which could still happen I guess.)

But Callahan struggled to develop players, team chemistry, etc. But Pelini is really good at it.... and that in itself goes a long long way... I think Callahan's classes were quite possibly on paper better than Pelini's... but the difference is that Pelini knows how to develop these kids, build them, grow them, and turn them into a family. It's interesting to me that Callahan's recruits never seemed to go recruit other players... they oftentimes transfered, or deteriorated in their health while at the school. Some succeeded, but overall team chemistry and family was lacking. Players didn't trust each other, they showed up late to practice, and Suh has said that when he got there under Callahan, the team had a lot of clicks.

We're seeing recruits recruit, give the coaches film from kids they want to see come play to Nebraska... we see lots of current players loving the school... far less transfers... etc. etc. The overall passion for Nebraska football, team unity, accountability, work ethic, etc. is what leads me to believe we are on the verge of a Championship. Players are reaching out to new recruits and welcoming them in, kids are coming to compete and not to start as stars their freshmen year, it goes on and on. I'm not saying we will win a championship... but i'm saying that if we play to our full potential and mesh together there is a very very good chance we will be in one sometime in the near future.

Harrison Beck and Blaine Gabbert are the two biggest recruiting recruits that I remember in quite some time. As for the reason kids are committing, I'm not sure it is any different than under Callahan. I would guess many of our young recruits still come in with NFL aspirations and their eye on early playing time. I don't think they are promised this though, so when it doesn't pan out they don't feel like they were sold a bill of false goods. I agree that team unity appears to be as strong as it's been in quite a while, and I think that kid's attitudes can be molded by the coaches and the players around them to fit in with the family. As for tranfers, we have seen a lot of players from 2008 leave, but that isn't incredibly surprising with a transition class. One important aspect is that in our recent classes we aren't losing out on those last minute decommitments and non-qualifiers have been minimalized.

Yep. There's a lot of rewriting of history that is done by the koolaid drinkers.

Calm down. Wait and see. There is nothing but potential at the moment . . . none of these kids have proven a damn thing at the college level. Will some pan out? Probably. Will some be busts? Probably.

Note that your post said that Pelini is great at finding talent and now you are changing the argument to Pelini is great at developing talent.

And you'd be wrong about Callahan's players not going out to recruit other players. They did do that. Blaine Gabbert stands out as one in particular who recruited very hard for Nebraska.

It's amazing what a 9 and 10 win season can do to foster a passion for the school. Winning fixes almost everything.

What's there to calm down about? haha. We're just having a healthy discussion on a discussion board. That's what this thing is for right? Fun conversations concerning theoretical and actual topics concerning UNL? I enjoy hearing your argument and your stuff man, it's good stuff!! :)

With that said, I would have to respectfully disagree with your statement above. Blaine Gabbert never came to Nebraska... he committed and then de-committed. Most of the players he "recruited" he recruited before he came to the university, and several of those never signed. The players I was referring to in my post above are those who are currently at Nebraska... Taylor Martinez, Eric Martin, Andrew Green, Mike McNeill, etc.

Also I would also disagree that I changed my argument, I would argue that I merely added to it. I believe Pelini is a great talent finder and a great talent developer. He's both.

But I definitely agree that 9-10 win seasons definitely change people's views and foster people's passions for a school. I think you're dead on there!! :madash

Calm down as in don't set your self up for huge disappointment expecting these kids to be world beaters when we don't have any idea how they will end up.

Blaine Gabbert was basically another recruiting coach when he was committed to Nebraska. You said players didn't do that for Callahan and that statement is simply untrue. They made recruiting calls when they were recruits and they continued to do so when they were players. Every one of these players wants other good players around them because they want to win. Having a lame duck coach like Callahan doesn't mean that the players lose the desire to win.

Who exactly has Andrew Green recruited? If you are referring to Aaron Green . . . Andrew said that he's not going to try to convince Aaron to go anywhere. He said it is entirely his brother's decision. I'm not sure who McNeill, Martin, or Martinez have reached out to.

Calm down as in don't set your self up for huge disappointment expecting these kids to be world beaters when we don't have any idea how they will end up.

Blaine Gabbert was basically another recruiting coach when he was committed to Nebraska. You said players didn't do that for Callahan and that statement is simply untrue. They made recruiting calls when they were recruits and they continued to do so when they were players. Every one of these players wants other good players around them because they want to win. Having a lame duck coach like Callahan doesn't mean that the players lose the desire to win.

Who exactly has Andrew Green recruited? If you are referring to Aaron Green . . . Andrew said that he's not going to try to convince Aaron to go anywhere. He said it is entirely his brother's decision. I'm not sure who McNeill, Martin, or Martinez have reached out to.

I think it was in the OWH (yesterday or today?) about how Eric Martin and Taylor Martinez had prior connections to Daimion Stafford and helped him with his decision since they all played against each other in high school. If you go to Stafford's profile, I posted a link to a video followed by a note saying that his team played against Martin's team in what was dubbed a "defensive battle".

Anyway, I think that's what she was referring to.

I think it was in the OWH (yesterday or today?) about how Eric Martin and Taylor Martinez had prior connections to Daimion Stafford and helped him with his decision since they all played against each other in high school. If you go to Stafford's profile, I posted a link to a video followed by a note saying that his team played against Martin's team in what was dubbed a "defensive battle".

Ah. I'm still not going to agree it's some drastic shift because of one recruit (or even a couple.) It's just more dead horse BC bashing in my opinion. He was a bad coach. We get it.

Ah. I'm still not going to agree it's some drastic shift because of one recruit (or even a couple.) It's just more dead horse BC bashing in my opinion. He was a bad coach. We get it.

If it came across that I was trying to bash Callahan, I need to clarify, my intention here is not to bash Callahan... it's merely using Callahan as an example in a much bigger point, that being that Nebraska has clearly improved in several areas, and exhibits the characteristics that many Championship teams have possessed. And just as mentioned above, I believe that Pelini is a true finder and developer of talent... and that having him develop these kids gives me a lot of confidence that IF these kids are developed like I believe Pelini can develop them that we have a real shot at a National Championship... not because of the players coming in, but because of Pelini and his staff and schemes over them. Thus to summarize, I believe coaching is key to National Championships and we have it.

i think you've got those things backwards, it was the coaches' stoking of passion and belief in the kids that allowed those winning seasons, not vice versa.

Not exactly Kevin Williams news but his HS coach, Vince Marrow, who was instrumental in influencing Kevin to take a serious look at Nebraska. Anyway, I just found out that Mr. Marrow will be the TE coach for the new UFL team in Omaha. His name is listed on the staff roster.

I wonder how Kevin feels about this? Marrow was the reason why Kevin transferred to Springfield HS last year. He played for a different HS his Frosh & Soph. years. Now Marrow won't be there for his Senior year. At least Marrow will be geographically closer to Kevin once he makes it to campus in January 2011. Perhaps Marrow can catch a few NU home games while he's here?

i think you've got those things backwards, it was the coaches' stoking of passion and belief in the kids that allowed those winning seasons, not vice versa.

It's a chicken or the egg scenario. A school coming off a ten win season is more attractive to recruits who might be otherwise unfamiliar with the school. You are correct that those wins are a result of coaching. My "winning fixes almost everything" comment was in regards to a school being attractive to recruits that might otherwise not even consider NU.