SIGNED DT Kevin Williams

I could give two sh*ts about who else offered Williams a scholarship. He is coming to Nebraska and that is all that matters!

At this point in Pelini's career, the fact that you have an offer from him is enough to turn heads.

Eh, we offer a looooooot of guys.

I could give two shsh*ts its about who else offered Williams a scholarship. He is coming to Nebraska and that is all that matters!

At this point in Pelini's career, the fact that you have an offer from him is enough to turn heads.

Eh, we offer a looooooot of guys.

Yes, but so does Stanford, Alabama, and Tennessee (when Kiffin was there).

Yes, but so does Stanford, Alabama, and Tennessee (when Kiffin was there).

You're right - Stanford I can see, but can't believe Alabama has that many offers out. I would think they could "sort-of" pick and choose. Not quite at Texas's level because they don't have that much tallent in their back yard...but considering their recent recruiting domination, facilities, coaching, history, recent success, weather, women, etc, etc - I wouldn't hesitate to accept an Alabama offer.

However, going against Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Miami, Florida St, Tennessee, LSU is not the same as us going against Oklahoma and Texas so I guess I can see why they need to have so many offers out. If NU still offers 100+ kids by April after a national championship though...my pride will be slightly hurt.

It seems like our recruiting philosophy has been too offer anyone who looks like they would be good and then see their response. Of course we also go after the guys we really like really hard (see Turner, Moore, Williams).

Exactly. I would not read too much into it. From what I understand a scholarship is just another step in the process to further gauge interest. The coaches did say that we would offer more kids this year because our program has momentum, they want to open up some more recruiting connections, and also repair the relationships that were damaged during the Callahan Regime.

It's kind of weird though when you think about us offering scholarships, but that doesn't mean that a player can accept it right away. They do it in college basketball too, it's like here's a scholarship and lets keep in touch but we don't really want to accept you until we know more. I feel like scholarships are what letters of interest should be, then the scholarship should be able to be accepted right away if the dude wants to cash it in money in the bank style. That's just the tides of recruiting I suppose though. Hope that all made sense... :wacko:

It's kind of weird though when you think about us offering scholarships, but that doesn't mean that a player can accept it right away. They do it in college basketball too, it's like here's a scholarship and lets keep in touch but we don't really want to accept you until we know more. I feel like scholarships are what letters of interest should be, then the scholarship should be able to be accepted right away if the dude wants to cash it in money in the bank style. That's just the tides of recruiting I suppose though. Hope that all made sense... :wacko:

i sincerely doubt we are offering scholarships to anybody that we don't intend to honor. there may be individual situations where we learn something about an offered player that causes us to back off (be it discrepancies in size/weight, poor film, poor attitude, $ demands, etc.), but that is different than just randomly throwing offers around to people you aren't sure you want.

If NU still offers 100+ kids by April after a national championship though...my pride will be slightly hurt.

I just don't understand this sentiment. Why is yours or NU's pride at all associated with the number of scholarships offered? I say do whatever gives us the most success in recruiting. If that means we offer every player at every position every year, then so be it. IMHO there are probably 500+ high school players with the potential to play for NU, and the notable differences between those players isn't much.

One thing people harp on it seems is the number of kids Nebraska offers early, but it seems to pay off a lot it seems, I know there's a lot of kid whom after we sign them have said that part of their decision was that it felt great when NU was their first offer..

Besides an offer doesn't necessarily mean the staff is going to take you either. We've had several instances where a kid gets an offer and then Nebraska cools on them and quits calling, and we've had kids who were ready to pull the trigger to hold off due to a numbers situation...

To have the kid commit this early and to have that commitment be wanted this early, especially at that position, means something about how good the kid can become.