SIGNED DT Kevin Williams

If NU still offers 100+ kids by April after a national championship though...my pride will be slightly hurt.

I just don't understand this sentiment. Why is yours or NU's pride at all associated with the number of scholarships offered? I say do whatever gives us the most success in recruiting. If that means we offer every player at every position every year, then so be it. IMHO there are probably 500+ high school players with the potential to play for NU, and the notable differences between those players isn't much.

There are certainly probably 500 that can play for NU, but it's slightly embarassing to think that we would need to offer 500 (or 200 as in past years) kids in order to get 25 committments. We have almsot 25 defensive linemen with scholarship offers. Our DE offers range from a 205 pound kid to a 265 pound bahemouth. The noticible differences are very noticible. There has to be 5 or 6 of those DL prospects we really want more than the other 20, and 5 that we'll settle for. The middle 15 or so might not stand appart, but there are a few in that list that are considerably above the rest. What happens if the first 5 to committ are in the "settle for" pool? Now we not only discourage others from committing but also have to take a scholarship from another position because he's a "you find room for him" type of player.

All I'm saying is I just don't like the idea of offering $125,000 and a chance to play football in red to 100 players only to see 90% of them find greener pastures. That's what slightly hurts my pride. Ask some of the walk ons what that scholarship means to them. Ask some of the in-state recruits like Marsh what that offer meant to him...then ask some of these other guys that we've blanket offered. I'm betting the "value" of that offer is slightly different to the various parties.

I know recruiting starts earlier these days - but I still think if we have 1 RB position open in this class we should be able to concentrate on 3 targest and get 1. If we have 4 OL openings, we should be able to identify 10 and concentrate on them. 8 DL prospects maybe 15-18 targets. That leaves a lot of guys still saying no...but also makes sure they know that we are very interested because we don't just offer anyone.

Frankly I like Texas's style of recruiting. If they are out on Aaron Green they don't continue to recruit - they move on. In the end it means they find players that REALLY want to play for Texas. Isn't that what we always want here at NU. I don't see how you identify players that REALLY want to play for NU when you just throw offers around as though it doesn't represent a scholarship and a $125,000 committment from the university to their future. If it's just a piece of paper fine - but I think it should mean more.

- IMHO -

Doesn't

If NU still offers 100+ kids by April after a national championship though...my pride will be slightly hurt.

I just don't understand this sentiment. Why is yours or NU's pride at all associated with the number of scholarships offered? I say do whatever gives us the most success in recruiting. If that means we offer every player at every position every year, then so be it. IMHO there are probably 500+ high school players with the potential to play for NU, and the notable differences between those players isn't much.

There are certainly probably 500 that can play for NU, but it's slightly embarassing to think that we would need to offer 500 (or 200 as in past years) kids in order to get 25 committments. We have almsot 25 defensive linemen with scholarship offers. Our DE offers range from a 205 pound kid to a 265 pound bahemouth. The noticible differences are very noticible. There has to be 5 or 6 of those DL prospects we really want more than the other 20, and 5 that we'll settle for. The middle 15 or so might not stand appart, but there are a few in that list that are considerably above the rest. What happens if the first 5 to committ are in the "settle for" pool? Now we not only discourage others from committing but also have to take a scholarship from another position because he's a "you find room for him" type of player.

All I'm saying is I just don't like the idea of offering $125,000 and a chance to play football in red to 100 players only to see 90% of them find greener pastures. That's what slightly hurts my pride. Ask some of the walk ons what that scholarship means to them. Ask some of the in-state recruits like Marsh what that offer meant to him...then ask some of these other guys that we've blanket offered. I'm betting the "value" of that offer is slightly different to the various parties.

I know recruiting starts earlier these days - but I still think if we have 1 RB position open in this class we should be able to concentrate on 3 targest and get 1. If we have 4 OL openings, we should be able to identify 10 and concentrate on them. 8 DL prospects maybe 15-18 targets. That leaves a lot of guys still saying no...but also makes sure they know that we are very interested because we don't just offer anyone.

Frankly I like Texas's style of recruiting. If they are out on Aaron Green they don't continue to recruit - they move on. In the end it means they find players that REALLY want to play for Texas. Isn't that what we always want here at NU. I don't see how you identify players that REALLY want to play for NU when you just throw offers around as though it doesn't represent a scholarship and a $125,000 committment from the university to their future. If it's just a piece of paper fine - but I think it should mean more.

- IMHO -

Doesn't

We can't recruit like Texas because we aren't Texas. They have things to offer that we simply do not. Also . . . anyone who cares enough about the numbers of recruits offered to be embarrassed needs to step back a little bit. All that matters is that we get quality recruits. Embarrassment doesn't factor into the on-field equation.

There has to be 5 or 6 of those DL prospects we really want more than the other 20

This is where I disagree with you. There absolutely does NOT have to be only a few the coaches want more than the others. There's no reason the coaches can't want all 20 and are just fine with whoever of that group wants to play for NU.

- IMHO -

Doesn't

We can't recruit like Texas because we aren't Texas. They have things to offer that we simply do not. Also . . . anyone who cares enough about the numbers of recruits offered to be embarrassed needs to step back a little bit. All that matters is that we get quality recruits. Embarrassment doesn't factor into the on-field equation.

Yeah, we're not Texas. We should be proud of that. WE ARE Nebraska. I'm so sick of people making out Texas to be some kind of god amongst college football. WE offer things that Texas can't. Sure they have a way bigger recruiting bed but that DOESN'T mean that they're a better football program or that recruits have any more reason to go to Texas. After all...we're the Nebraska Cornhuskers. I think people forget that, forget about our tradition. Sure we were down for awhile but were as good of a program as any and any high end recruit should be ecstatic to get an offer or play for the Huskers.

Yeah, we're not Texas. We should be proud of that. WE ARE Nebraska. I'm so sick of people making out Texas to be some kind of god amongst college football. WE offer things that Texas can't. Sure they have a way bigger recruiting bed but that DOESN'T mean that they're a better football program or that recruits have any more reason to go to Texas. After all...we're the Nebraska Cornhuskers. I think people forget that, forget about our tradition. Sure we were down for awhile but were as good of a program as any and any high end recruit should be ecstatic to get an offer or play for the Huskers.

I think the lady doth protest too much. I wasn't just talking college football. I was talking Austin vs. Lincoln. I was talking UT academics vs. UNL academics. I was talking UT funding vs. UNL funding. Etc. Etc.

Calm down. We're going to get through this.

- IMHO -

Doesn't

the simple fact is that we have to start with a bigger pool of prospects than many other schools because we know that many/most of the ones we go after simply will not be able to overcome the issues of distance and/or weather.

and hoping to recruit like texas simply isn't going to happen, so you're banging your head against a wall hoping otherwise. they are uniquely blessed to be the premier public university (not just football program) in the largest state of the union, that just so happens to be football crazy. (the city/area itself doesn't hurt either).

one thing i do agree with you is that the coaches do in all likelihood prefer certain kids they've offered to others. the key is to do a rough ranking of the available kids, set sort of a tier system and offer the ones you think meet a certain level of ability. you can always hold a few spots for elite kids, but you just have to accept that taking kids that are a level or two lower (but still quality prospects) is better than striking out entirely while swinging for the fences. i'm sure it's hard as hell to find that right balance, but like i said, the key is to set that cut off of ability at a certain level, make offers you can live with and work your tail off.

we can certainly narrow our efforts more as we regain our national prominence, but we will never be able to do so on par with the elite schools that have talent in their back yard, texas in particular.

Pros:

Tradition

Coaching

Fan Support

Academics (Agriculture)

Smaller City (to small-town recruits)

Defensive Players in the NFL

Offensive Linemen in the NFL

Negatives:

Distance

Weather

Smaller town (to big-city recruits)

Misconceptions about the State

Academics (2nd tier school)

Smaller Alumni Base

Less high-profile QBs, RBs and WRs in the NFL

The issue is, what weight does each individual recruit put on each factor. The big issue is that Distance will eliminate at least 1 in every 5 prospects. Weather will eliminate a good number due to the proliferation of high-caliber talent in the southern areas (where they can play year-round). Academics eliminate the occasional good student recruit. Also, the number of QBs RBs and WRs we send to the pros impacts our recruitment in these areas. We've sent one high-profile (Ahman Green) RB to the present NFL rosters and some big-bodied backs, linemen and defensive personnel. We do fine recruiting those areas, but look at our RB, QB and WR recruitment over the past 10 years. It's been pretty laughable, the high-star recruits we get are still not considered as elite as what some major programs are getting. We really need to get a first-round pick out of our impact positions on offense to increase awareness and allow us to be more picky.

Pros:

Tradition

Coaching

Fan Support

Academics (Agriculture)

Negatives:

Distance

Weather

Smaller Alumni Base

The issue is, what weight does each individual recruit put on each factor. The big issue is that Distance will eliminate at least 1 in every 5 prospects. Weather will eliminate a good number due to the proliferation of high-caliber talent in the southern areas (where they can play year-round). Academics eliminate the occasional good student recruit. Also, the number of QBs RBs and WRs we send to the pros impacts our recruitment in these areas. We've sent one high-profile (Ahman Green) RB to the present NFL rosters and some big-bodied backs, linemen and defensive personnel. We do fine recruiting those areas, but look at our RB, QB and WR recruitment over the past 10 years. It's been pretty laughable, the high-star recruits we get are still not considered as elite as what some major programs are getting. We really need to get a first-round pick out of our impact positions on offense to increase awareness and allow us to be more picky.

This is actually a really good list. I hate when people get mad that a kid picks ND over NU and the kid sites academics as the reason and the Husker fans get all worked up. Look, like it or not, ND has a better rep in academics then NU does.

Pros:

Tradition

Coaching

Fan Support

Academics (Agriculture)

Negatives:

Distance

Weather

Smaller Alumni Base

This is actually a really good list. I hate when people get mad that a kid picks ND over NU and the kid sites academics as the reason and the Husker fans get all worked up. Look, like it or not, ND has a better rep in academics then NU does.

Yeah. However, 1 nit to pick. UNL is a top tier school, albeit barely. Also UNL is an AAU member. Our academics are well above average and truly excellent in some areas. That said, Notre Dame or Harvard we ain't. ;)

If we slid into the top tier in the U.S. News rankings, I am unaware. We had been 2nd Tier when I moved to Lincoln 10 or so years ago. Regardless, we are a fine institution but do not hold the same status as many top public universities (Michigan, Wisconsin, U.C. Berkley. We are also probably higher in the rankings due to the affordable nature of UNL. We are currently 93rd among Universities. If you look at Universities above us in the Rankings with quality football programs, it is obvious that Stanford, Cal, Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, UNC, USC, Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Ohio State, Texas, Florida, Pitt, Washington, Penn State, Maryland, Georgia, Clemson, Purdue, Texas A&M, UCONN, Rutgers, Michigan State, Indiana, Iowa, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Auburn, and Iowa State is a big list to be above us. And I don't believe that is exhaustive. We do, however, have a great Agriculture program that is a considerable draw to certain individuals and some other programs are individually solid. All told, this means we're behind 1/3 of Division 1 schools.

The good news:

We're tied with the current National Champion and Kansas

We're ahead of Florida State, Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, South Carolina, Washington State, Oregon, Arizona State, Utah, LSU, Arkansas and Kentuckey.

• 4 weeks later...

weak... he's at least a top 15 DT in the country... they always mess up ratings...

It's Scout.

Agreed. I look at the offer list, then rivals ranking, then when we offered, then scout rankings to decide how much we want a guy and how good he is. Obviously I look at the tape if he has one, but lets face it none of us are D-1 coaches or recruiters for a reason.