Nebraska IS back!

While I still believe the '95 Huskers are the best team of all time, I think the competition and parity did not exist in that time, as it does now... Back then you had a handful of guarenteed conference champions. Now it's anybodys game because everyone has great players and everyone has great coaches.

Have we won a National Championship or Conference Championship? No. Can we compete with the best teams in the nation? Yes. Do teams now fear the Blackshirts? Yes. Do teams come to Lincoln expecting a win? No.

I believe we are back. The competition is a lot stiffer, so I don't expect an undefeated season (especially with the parity in the Big 12). My definition of "back" is simple: We can compete with anyone, anywhere; And we are feared by those who have to play us.

Great post. Agreed on all points.

If 1995 is the standard that everyone is looking to . . . Nebraska will NEVER be back. For that matter . . . every team since has paled in comparison.

We can win any game. That's good in my book.

I will agree that Nebraska is back when we have an offense and defense that works extremely well. For right now, we just have a defense.

Nebraska is back when we, as a fanbase, don't have to question whether or not we are going to make it to the Big 12 Championship game, mid season. Or looking at a Baylor, Kansas State, Kansas and Colorado game and start thinking we might not win those games.

I doubt there are man teams in the SEC that fear us, would come to play us and felt they had a good chance to win. I doubt Boise State or TCU have a fear of Nebraska, would jump at the chance to play us. Same with Ohio State and Iowa and Oklahoma who actually beat our butts all over the field would be in that terrified group.

We are seeing things in our Husker eyes, not as the nation sees it.

I still feel if Texas handles Alabama tonight what you guys are saying is credible. If they get their clocks cleaned, we may not be as far along as some think.

But talking the talk makes little difference we have to walk the walk and show it on the field, and no matter how great we think our Texas near brush and Arizona win is, we will have beaten absolutely no one ranked at the end of the year.

When Nebraska was Nebraska we played with anyone, sometimes lost, but we beat top rated teams, no moral victories.

I never expect to see the likes of the 90's teams by us or anyone else, have said that for years, but I want to see us beating the VaTechs, the Texas Techs and others that dance around the top 10-15. Victories on the field of battle and only victories tell you you are back. We have none to justify that thought.

Maybe next year will be the year it all changes. I sure hop so.

All I need to do is look back and remember the Callahan years.

This is all you really need to do if you truly want to measure if we're 'back' or not.

No more stompings by Colorado or Kansas.

We'll finish this season ranked in the top 15 instead of finishing it not being ranked at all.

Most will probably have Nebraska ranked in the top 10 next season. When was the last time this happened???

I'd say we're back. As long as were in the running for a conference and National title? That says we're back to me anyway.

We may not have really beaten anyone this year

But I think we only really 'lost' one game.

I think we can all agree that we are on the cusp of returning to greatness again. We have arguably the best defense in the country, and with an (expected) improved offense next year, we stand a good chance of beating basically anyone in the country.

We'll be back when I'm walking around Walgreens at the holidays, and they have the little display t.v. on running highlights of the season, ending with the National Championship win. I always thought that was the gauge for a great program...when you can sell season DVD's at Walgreens. Never could walk through the store without stopping and watching those highlights and getting pumped up! GBR!

This is all you really need to do if you truly want to measure if we're 'back' or not.

We'll finish this season ranked in the top 15 instead of finishing it not being ranked at all.

Most will probably have Nebraska ranked in the top 10 next season. When was the last time this happened???

I'd say we're back. As long as were in the running for a conference and National title? That says we're back to me anyway.

What I look at is if NU is the highest ranked team with x losses. This year the Huskers are the highest ranked 4 loss team. Yes 13-1 would be better. But having the most respect out of equal record teams was always a trademark of NU teams in the past 50 years (minus 4)

What I look at is if NU is the highest ranked team with x losses. This year the Huskers are the highest ranked 4 loss team. Yes 13-1 would be better. But having the most respect out of equal record teams was always a trademark of NU teams in the past 50 years (minus 4)

I had no idea we were the highest ranked 4 loss team. I definitely think your right about the respect part too.