Beck

kramer

Beck's getting up to speed

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Aug 12, 2005 - 12:33:33 am CDT

It's pretty common for true freshman football players to marvel at the speed of the college game. You'll hear them mention it about 1,247 times during fall camp.

Harrison Beck, though, has been challenged by a different kind of speed — Bill Callahan's accelerated rate of speech when he's calling plays.

"Coach Callahan talks really, really fast, and the plays are really, really long," said Beck, the newest quarterback on Nebraska's roster.

"Not only do you have to remember what he said, but you've got to walk to the huddle and tell everyone else what he said. You've got to tell them clear, too. You start getting in there, you're forgetting some of the parts, and you start mumbling, trying to get it out."

Don't think for a second, though, that Beck will ask his coach to slow down.

"I would never tell Coach Callahan that," said Beck, noting a responsibility to get used to his coach's fast tongue.

Ok, but isn't this part of the problem? Last year we had a lot and I stress a lot of delay of game penalties. Can't we somehow simplify or code the plays to make them shorter and easier to get into the QB? In my opinion, this isn't a QB problem. It's something the coaching staff needs to come to grips with. Can't they assign a number to a long play and the QB have a "cheat sheet" or something?

Ok, but isn't this part of the problem? Last year we had a lot and I stress a lot of delay of game penalties. Can't we somehow simplify or code the plays to make them shorter and easier to get into the QB? In my opinion, this isn't a QB problem. It's something the coaching staff needs to come to grips with. Can't they assign a number to a long play and the QB have a "cheat sheet" or something?

I think they did that because JD needed help with who to look for.

I've wondered too, is there some way to signal to the receivers what the play will be for them in order to shorten and simplify the play calls. Or do we already do that?

I've also wondered, didn't the plays get signalled in from the sideline last year, rather than the qb talking to the coach and going back to the huddle? If the system is as complicated as advertised (Beck and ZT say the playbook is 8lbs.) then my guess is that some of the delays were likely due to a mixup in the signals from either the guy signalling or the JD not knowing what was being sent in.

Either way, with 8lbs worth of plays it's not easy to simplify to a point where everything can be communicated with fewer words or hand gestures. Unless of course you want to tell someone F off. :)

I have not noticed this going on with Taylor. Or heard that it happened in the spring game.

Beck is new and totally inexperienced in the offense, BC may feel he needs more attention than Taylor at this point.

I think BC had Joe come to the sideline to try and calm him down. Joe did not have the ability nor the confidence to run this offense and in my mind any offense at the Division 1 level. Nothing evil, just my opinion. I think he needed every stroke he could get and BC brought him to the sideline to calm him and help him remember the play. Most on the team realized very quickly their season was not in good hands. The less discussion going on the huddle the better I would guess. If you remember most shots of Joe on the sideline, he was alone. I am sure many felt he was inadequate by the 3rd game. I doubt he had many supporters helping as the season unfolded. Most knew the reason the offense was failing. Really to bad.

He will be starting by game 5.

Game 5? More like game 1

You actually think Beck will start against Maine? Last night on the news they said he wasn't even working with the 2nd team. He has a lot to learn before Sept. 3. There is no chance he starts opening day.IMO

Crap Benard is back. :bang

I have heard the opposite. I guess it just depends on who you hear it from and where you hear it regarding beck and how he is doing with the offense. From everything i have seen and heard, he's doing alright. That's why i say he will see action against Maine. Then again, he might screw up in the next couple of weeks in practice and might be forced to redshirt. We will know more in 1 week when fall camp is over.

I have heard the opposite. I guess it just depends on who you hear it from and where you hear it regarding beck and how he is doing with the offense. From everything i have seen and heard, he's doing alright. That's why i say he will seed action against Maine. Then again, he might screw up in the next couple of weeks in practice and might be forced to redshirt. We will know more in 1 week when fall camp is over.

I read in the weird herald that he was getting a lot of reps with the first team offense and that Callahan was working in a lot of different combinations of line/qb/receivers and trying to find mixes that work. It's going to be hard for Beck to overcome Taylor since he has had many more reps with the offense and more time to absorb it. But, who knows, Beck is very talented, I hope to see him play a bit against Maine :horns

Crap Benard is back. :bang
X2 :lol:

schestev please go back to BigHuskerFan. Your input is not needed nor wanted here I am sure...

I have not heard too much about Beck dominating practice. I heard he finally had a good day the other day. Most days have been nervous and stressed. He has proven he is a Freshman and that is about it. He will need to put at least a week of solid practice together and then maybe he will play. He will not start the Maine game and my guess he will not start this year unless Taylor is hurt. I have heard that Ganz is above him at this time. I will have more information on him and the ongoing battle Monday.

Either way, what a wonderful problem to have. Been a long time when we had 3-4 good kids vieing for the starting QB at Nebarask if ever. Thank god we are moving into the 21st century of college football.

Damon Benning was talking about the QB race the other day and said Taylor was the main man.. Benning should know more than any of us since he is "one of the few" allowed at practice.

Taylor is completing between 60-70 % of his passes in 7 on 7's, no other QB is coming close to that..

Also Taylor is taking 60 plus % of all the snaps and the others are dividing up the rest with Ganz getting more than Beck or the others..

IMO there is now way Beck leaps over Zac, he just doesn't have enough time to mesh with the WR's and the offense like Zac has over these last 5-6 months.

There is 3 weeks left and they are getting Taylor ready to play against Maine. They are getting the backups some snaps but again with Zac taking 60 plus% of the snaps and Harrison running quite a bit behind Ganz, I just don't see Beck making the kind of strides he needs in order to knock Taylor off from the #1 spot.

If he doesn't knock Ganz off at the # 2 spot I wonder if they would think about redshirting him?? Or do you think even if he is # 3 on the depth chart he will not redshirt no matter what?

i said this before practice even began, Beck is a great athlete and has excellent QB skills, but as a frosh he will not start, unless Taylor gets hurt or not until later in the season, if and when he improves alot.....as i said there are very few kids who could come in here from high school, lerarn the WCO offense which is complicated and start..........it just doesn't happen in this type off offense, give him time he will be a great QB here.......

hunter