The One thing We Could Really Use On our Pre-Conference Schedule

I'd much rather see us get something going with Boise State...Even with their Smurf turf. 84.gif

:blink:

Why are some of you so quick to discredit the importance of recruiting?

I bet we could get a lot more guys with unpronouncable names out of Oregon like that Owa-something guy if we had some games out in the NW.. :dunno

Plus it would be nice to have more of an effect on the overall MNC picture and take out a possible "pretender" ourselves and not have to rely on someone from their conference or the Pac-10 to TCB.

I've just never been interested in Iowa being on our schedule every year. I'd rather it be a bigger name.

I live in Iowa in the heart of big 10 country and get sick of hearing about the almight big 10, and how great Iowa did this year...went 11-2 and probably were a half dozen plays from being a 7-8 win team...in the big 10. I would love to see us play them and show them how real defence is played and what playing in a real conference is all about. I do believe that we played iowa in the late 90's and i do believe that those years Iowa would have played isu those years because the big 12 had formed by then.

Being from iowa i wouldnt mind seeing this matchup. Both teams are close to eachother, and both travel well. Iowa has become a force to reckon with lately and would be a much better out of conference team to play then some of the others we have had. We talked earler this season about playing better teams and some people gawk at this senerio. No offence to the people we have played but when you talk about iowa being the where is that state. What about nebraska. As far as i know neither state has an ocean front view. Iowa is definately a better namesake then most of the teams we play at the beginnign of the season. Im not saying that iowa will be on top most of the time but they are a better namesake and more challangeing team to play.

Screw Iowa, you want a big yearly non-con game? Try UCLA, USC, FSU, Florida, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State. It would mean a heck of a lot more to a kid to get a chance to go home to play a game (Florida or Cali recruits) than it would to play a little 11 team. And it'd be a lot better exposure for NU.

Stick to playing Iowa a couple of times a decade to smack them back into place, that's all that's needed.

Screw Iowa, you want a big yearly non-con game? Try UCLA, USC, FSU, Florida, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State. It would mean a heck of a lot more to a kid to get a chance to go home to play a game (Florida or Cali recruits) than it would to play a little 11 team. And it'd be a lot better exposure for NU.

Stick to playing Iowa a couple of times a decade to smack them back into place, that's all that's needed.

UCLA would be and excellent choice, for recruiting and national exposure. ND doesn't want to take a beating each year from USC and Neb.[ UCLA starting to hold their own with USC lately]. Fla schools to busy beating up each other. We don't need to beef up the Big-10's ratings with Ohio ST. Iowa has a good program, but just doesn't seem like it would stir up any real interest except in Neb and Iowa. JMO.

GBR!!!

We could accept that we play several 'rivals' year in and year out (i.e. Kansas, Mizzu, Colorado, and alternate between Texas and Oklahoma)... maybe we should add one tough game in the non-conference time like an Ohio State, or USC, or something like that once in a while.... We're off to a good start with Washington...

Nebraska vs Iowa Facebook Group

Screw Iowa? Even if you don't like them or don't think they are on 'our level' it would be a much bigger name and win than Arkansas State, Louisiana Lafayette, Middle of Nowhere Tech...I'm all for it.

Much bigger?

I'll admit, I don't give them near enough credit..Somehow they snuck into the top 10...But perception wise, I don't see much difference.

The general consensus is that the Big-Televen sucks hard (Even though they showed mucho improvement this bowl season).

I agree with jliehr..On a national scale (especially to potential recruits)..Iowa ranks even below Boise State in prestige points...And they wear black unis. <_<

Ohio State is in the "little 11".

When the Big 12 was born we lost our great yearly game of the year. I can't blame Oklahoma for not wanting to play both Nebraska and Texas and have the outcome be part of their Conference record. I also envy Tex/Ok for the opportunity to play in such a great game year in and year out and I think it was even better when it also pitted two great conferences (The Big 8 and The SWC.) against each other. I could see the same type of rivalry being developed between Nebraska and Iowa. The States border on each other. The two teams are both long time members of big time conferences. This really seems like a no brainer to me and I can't figure out why it hasn't happened. There was a time when Iowa was a prennial loser but that ended when Hayden Fry took over the team in the late 70's or early 80's. I'd love to have this game played every year in mid to late September. A game we could look forward to as opposed to seeing another Sun Belt team come to Lincoln for a whuppin' and a pay check. What do you guys think?

T_O_B

:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:)

IMO Oklahoma is the best to start a annual rivalry game with. Schedule it in our non conference schedule or figure out another way, but find a way to have this game every year. It has so much history, people still talk about Nebraska/Oklahoma college football at its best. There is no excuse why this cannot or should not happen. And they can still schedule another tough non conference game in there as well. There are still teams that schedule more than 1 tough non conference opponent. Just look at VT, they played Alabama, Nebraska, Tennessee! Now that is a pitch that you can sell to recruits!