The One thing We Could Really Use On our Pre-Conference Schedule

When the Big 12 was born we lost our great yearly game of the year. I can't blame Oklahoma for not wanting to play both Nebraska and Texas and have the outcome be part of their Conference record. I also envy Tex/Ok for the opportunity to play in such a great game year in and year out and I think it was even better when it also pitted two great conferences (The Big 8 and The SWC.) against each other. I could see the same type of rivalry being developed between Nebraska and Iowa. The States border on each other. The two teams are both long time members of big time conferences. This really seems like a no brainer to me and I can't figure out why it hasn't happened. There was a time when Iowa was a prennial loser but that ended when Hayden Fry took over the team in the late 70's or early 80's. I'd love to have this game played every year in mid to late September. A game we could look forward to as opposed to seeing another Sun Belt team come to Lincoln for a whuppin' and a pay check. What do you guys think?

T_O_B

:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:):dunno:)

IMO Oklahoma is the best to start a annual rivalry game with. Schedule it in our non conference schedule or figure out another way, but find a way to have this game every year. It has so much history, people still talk about Nebraska/Oklahoma college football at its best. There is no excuse why this cannot or should not happen. And they can still schedule another tough non conference game in there as well. There are still teams that schedule more than 1 tough non conference opponent. Just look at VT, they played Alabama, Nebraska, Tennessee! Now that is a pitch that you can sell to recruits!

I guess Tennessee was their Bowl Game, but they did have at least have 2 quality non conference opponents scheduled in the regular season.

I would rather play Northwest Missouri State University than I would Iowa...because they are at the top of their division every year. Not sure that they would want to play Nebraska though...especially since the game would have to be in Nebraska since their stands would never contain all of their fans plus ours.

I think NWMSU could have beat us at the beginning of this last season.

Future non con opponents include the following:

12 and 13: home and homes with Southern Miss (+1 in 15) and UCLA

13 and 14: home and Home with Fresno State(+1 in 16)

14 and 15: home and home with Miami

16 and 17: home and home with Tennessee

Tennessee and Miami would definitely be good wins to start the season off with.

Nebraska vs Iowa Facebook Group

Screw Iowa? Even if you don't like them or don't think they are on 'our level' it would be a much bigger name and win than Arkansas State, Louisiana Lafayette, Middle of Nowhere Tech...I'm all for it.

Iowa is a habitual choke artist. Every time they have all the pieces in place for a big run, they lose 3 or 4 games. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happend to them in 2010 regardless of their schedule and what they have returning (losing almost the entire O line, playmaker TE, still have Stanzi at QB).

As far as playing them every year, that would be a waste. Like some other folks said, play some games in places we recruit to get better exposure. Exposure in eastern Iowa isn't going to do much for the Nebraska name.

I'd love to see 2 at home pushover/mediocre teams to start, followed by an indefinite home/home series with Miami, followed up by the conference schedule, finishing with another indefinite home/home series with Penn State on the day after Thanksgiving. (if Miami's home; Penn away and vice versa) Penn gains the ability to play later in the year so they aren't rusty for their bowl game like the B10 usually is. Miami of course would be played early in the year so they don't complain about the weather.

Both schools have potential for good rivalries: some history/animosity between teams, good money, national publicity, and good recruiting. Both are somewhat lacking in good rivals (1 strong rival each) since the Miami/Florida rivalry has largely died.

I know there are those who've been extolling the virtues of this potential "rivalry", ad nauseum, but here's the thing, we have a rival, Oklahoma. I know we don't play them every year, and that somebody decided that sCUm has become our rival, but rivalries are built on history, and tradition. And the OU/NU rivalry has both those things...

I have no idea why all this Iowa stuff keeps popping up. I am guessing because a large portion of Nebraska's population is sitting next to them, and some Nebraskans work in Iowa, and vice versa and they are idjets or something.

I guess if you don't live near an Iowa fan it's just standard knowledge that the U of Iowa is flat out boring and does nothing for.... anything. Most Husker fans could care less about them, they do nothing for recruiting, and the national media isn't going to rip their pants off and set their hair on fire screaming "OMG Nebraska vs Iowa Showdown for the Ages...".

I'd like what some folks on here are saying more along the lines of UCLA, even Fresno State. But where I would really like to see us playing a game here and there would be down in Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida etc. We've had next to no consistent exposure there for a long time. We're always playing in Texas and it doesn't seem to be sinking in down there with recruiting. Let's try California, Florida, SEC country, or even Ohio/Pennsylvania/New Jersey'ish.

NU playing Georgia here and there would be kinda nice.

And if we really want to get the creative juices flowing... let's try to schedule one of the SEC teams in late November, here and there. Maybe we could bump the stupid Colorado game up to our 2nd or 3rd game and hope for some snow in Nov.

I have no idea why all this Iowa stuff keeps popping up. I am guessing because a large portion of Nebraska's population is sitting next to them, and some Nebraskans work in Iowa, and vice versa and they are idjets or something.

I guess if you don't live near an Iowa fan it's just standard knowledge that the U of Iowa is flat out boring and does nothing for.... anything. Most Husker fans could care less about them, they do nothing for recruiting, and the national media isn't going to rip their pants off and set their hair on fire screaming "OMG Nebraska vs Iowa Showdown for the Ages...".

I'd like what some folks on here are saying more along the lines of UCLA, even Fresno State. But where I would really like to see us playing a game here and there would be down in Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida etc. We've had next to no consistent exposure there for a long time. We're always playing in Texas and it doesn't seem to be sinking in down there with recruiting. Let's try California, Florida, SEC country, or even Ohio/Pennsylvania/New Jersey'ish.

And if we really want to get the creative juices flowing... let's try to schedule one of the SEC teams in late November, here and there. Maybe we could bump the stupid Colorado game up to our 2nd or 3rd game and hope for some snow in Nov.

I want a home at home with Rutgers, so I can go down to their dump of a stadium, and take leak on their "birthplace of college football" sign

I want a home at home with Rutgers, so I can go down to their dump of a stadium, and take leak on their "birthplace of college football" sign

That works. Plus it's still more exciting than playing Iowa.

You could also take a leak in their stadium, and take a dump on their sign.